LONGER lengths of anchor-lead chain

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
No way in this world I'd do without chain anchoring in coral, as in the keys and Bahamas, or oyster shell as on the gulf coast.. You dyneema, or nylon rode would be junk after just a few encounters. I'll keep the chain ..
Yes; I've had it with Dyneema as well. It seems more a curse than a blessing. Strong and light = yes. Vulnerable = even more so. I know why the ORC requires only Dyneema for race-boat lifelines: it's so you can cut it away to retrieve a MOB. They also forbid lifeline gates for the avoiding of the problem in the first place (if not due to peeing over the side, the likeliest cause of MOB at sea is from failure of lifeline attachments). But ANY exposed blade is a threat to Dyneema, for the same reason. Imagine rigging a whole boat with it and having to toss (for perfectly reasonable reasons) a sharpish object across the boat to someone and accidentally gashing a mainmast shroud-- heads' up, boys; she's comin' down! As anchor rode it's got to be the very worst possible choice (aside from maybe cheap polypropylene double-braid from HoDePo, which a friend has for her jib halyard, now nearly dust after four seasons).

Sometimes the simplest boneheaded solution is the best one for too many reasons to count. Someone (like Chicester) reminded us that the higher the level of tech on your boat, the higher the likelihood of failures you can't mend with what you have on board at the moment. I'm about the last one to be dazzled by what's new, hot and cool. I'll stick to what I already know is adequate, eliminate risk, and save money.

FYI the current Golden Globe RTW race is essentially a testimony to pre-1980s tech. My boat is (in a smaller scale) a testimony to 1970s tech; and I like it that way.

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
@DianaOfBurlington If you are still looking for the coated anchor chain I found a source. Yesterday I was in the local chandlery saw that they had a barrel full of it. If you call them, I'm sure they will ship you the length you want. https://www.boatworks-ltd.com
Imagine the shipping costs for 30-40 ft of chain from Syracuse to southern NJ.

I was hoping to find something that someone knew of already available as a 'product' via distribution, which would mean I could get it through any regular channels without paying freight. If I have to buy bulk chain I'll get it from my local rigger, and, like I said, paint it myself.

Thanks for the kind thought though! :dancing:

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
Or maybe using Dyneema instead of chain. Thinwater may know of some testing, but if there is no chain, there's no rust.
Rust is a minor concern for anchor rode. If it's rusty, it's already WAY too old to be reliable. Galvanized quality chain lasts a good 10 yrs + anyway. Rinse it down with fresh water as often as possible and inspect it regularly. That's only good yachtsmanship.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Standard retail-available lengths at 4-6 ft are inadequate for most cruising boats (probably serving only appearance requirements).
DianaOfBurlington,
I have been trying to search for a source online to meet your request for chain, and I can understand your frustration in high shipping cost of chain and in finding a local source for anything over precut 4' lengths. I ordered my chain from Amazon and found that the 4' precut lengths were cheaper per foot than longer lengths, precut or custom cut. I did not get coated, just galvi. My solution was to also buy link connectors to make-up 20' of chain. In the end, it was the cheapest way to go and Amazon prime gave me free shipping. If you coat the shackles or connectors yourself, you can probably order everything you need online and not pay huge shipping costs. The extra coating of polymer paint will help lock the connectors from accidental opening too.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
maybe appeal to someone on SBO to pick it up and meet you half-way to exchnage for $?

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I make is a general rule to avoid buying anything for a vessel I would term a 'yacht' at HoDePo. There is a reason 'marine-grade' rope is what it is.
I wasn't recommending that you purchase your ground tackle at a home improvement store. I was just noting that it was curious that 8 plait at Home Depot was cheaper than 3-strand a t Home Depot, while the opposite was said to be true of 8 plait & 3-strand from marine suppliers. It leaves me curious to learn what the reasons for the difference may be.