Moving to Melbourne, FL

Apr 19, 2015
Macgregor 26C River Way, Rockledge, FL
Greetings everyone. I'm moving to Melbourne, FL next week and towing my Mac26 from Montana to Florida. I have a slip reserved at the Waterline Marina. Any fellow sailors on this board from that area?

Steve

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Wow... long drive. Pack extra trailer bearings and may you be blessed with good tires.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Roger's ads show Mac owners using their boats as a camper when traveling. Will you be doing that along the way?
I never used my 26S the way he intended. We were always slipped and hauled in and out from the ramp in the off season

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
I winter in Cocoa but belong to East Coast Sailing Association in Melbourne (Satellite Beach). Great bunch of folks who'll gladly welcome you and help you getting familiar with you new environment. They have monthly meetings and regular events throughout the year. Membership really reasonable. Also Melbourne Yacht Club, very nice sailing club with lots of racing events as well as social events including a great happy hour get together every Friday night. You should look them up and decide for yourself. For a quick look see visit ECSA website at http://ecsasail.com/ and MYC's site at http://www.melbourneyachtclub.com/. Have a safe trip

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2015
I winter in Cocoa but belong to East Coast Sailing Association in Melbourne (Satellite Beach). Great bunch of folks who'll gladly welcome you and help you getting familiar with you new environment. They have monthly meetings and regular events throughout the year. Membership really reasonable. Also Melbourne Yacht Club, very nice sailing club with lots of racing events as well as social events including a great happy hour get together every Friday night. You should look them up and decide for yourself. For a quick look see visit ECSA website at http://ecsasail.com/ and MYC's site at http://www.melbourneyachtclub.com/. Have a safe trip
Thanks for the info. I'll definitely check them out.

Apr 19, 2015
Roger's ads show Mac owners using their boats as a camper when traveling. Will you be doing that along the way?
I never used my 26S the way he intended. We were always slipped and hauled in and out from the ramp in the off season
Will probably be too warm to sleep in her. I prefer an air conditioned hotel.:)

Apr 19, 2015
Greetings everyone. I'm moving to Melbourne, FL next week and towing my Mac26 from Montana to Florida. I have a slip reserved at the Waterline Marina. Any fellow sailors on this board from that area?

Steve
So I made it 2945 miles with Juvat in tow. Before leaving Montana, I discovered dry rot in my trailer tires and had them both replaced. Stopped to visit friends in Dallas, Houston, and Bay Saint Louis, MS. Somewhere in Colorado my left side trailer wheel seal came loose. Had it fixed at a repair shop in about an hour. In Texas, my truck burned out bearings and destroyed my rear end, but I was able to make it to Florida. Truck is being repaired now. In Louisiana, my jib came loose and was hanging off the bow. The jib support had come loose and was dangling off the pulpit. I rigged it back up with bungi cords. I had to do this on a very busy bridge of swamp land. Semi trucks were whizzing by me about two feet away. One of the scariest moments of my life. The center mast support collapsed four times and the aft part of the mast fell off and had to be secured. The starboard side lifeline came loose and I had to reconnect it somewhere in the Florida panhandle. I somehow lost the butterfly wing nut thing that holds the cabin top up. Despite the setbacks, I made it to Melbourne in six days and put her in my slip the next day. I am now of the opinion that the Mac 26c and trailer are not designed to haul 3000 miles. She really took a beating. But my, what an adventure. Luckily, there is a West Marine store just a few blocks from my apartment.

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
the picture of you and the young'n seem to speak volumes....well done and glad it turned out so well. I used to live in Melbourne, Indialantic and even at Whitely's Marina in Cocoa on a 25' Cal - years ago.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
We would trailer our C22 from Carlyle Lake Il to the Keys 3 times a year. Every trip was an adventure with breakdowns and parts flying off here and there. Finally got smart and left the boat in the keys and rented a Uhaul to launch.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Leatherneck, If you're going to west marine, remember that they price match. On everything. They'll even let you use one of their computer terminals to look up competitor pricing. They seem to be happy to do it as well!
Seems they got the message on comparative shopping, finally.