High water alarm short circuit - Hunter 49

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
My high water alarm for the past year or so has gone off randomly. (Of course I'm never there to experience it which if I was I may have more clues) It either stops after a few minutes or some one from the marina plays with the float switch and it shuts off. There has never been high water in the boat when it has gone off. I replaced the float switch after a couple of episodes but it continued to happen. This last time it happened the marina pulled the wires off the back of the siren in the cockpit to make it stop. OK all that said I'm headed up this weekend with my trustee meter to try and chase down the problem. My question for you folks is have you had a similar problem, and if so, in the end where was the fault?

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
Which float switch did you replace? On my 50 there were two float switches installed at the factory, one down low at the bottom of the bilge (for the small bilge pump) and another up higher on a small platform (for the large emergency bilge pump). The cockpit siren is connected to the higher float switch on the small platform.

Jun 8, 2004
I should of noted that earlier I replaced the higher one since that is the one the marina was messing with to turn it off. Also, it mades sense to me the alarm would be connected to the higher bilge pump. I assumed the trigger was attached to the float switch or maybe the pump. Maybe the question I should be asking is where is the trigger and what sets it off?

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2012
My understanding is the siren is wired in series with the pump. When the float switch contacts close voltage is sent to the pump and then to the siren.

Jun 8, 2004
Well it turns out it is a little more complicated than a straight series. Hunter decided to throw in a relay behind the the battery switch panel and an audible alarm test switch out on the pedestal by the alarm. After chasing down the whole circuit and testing ever piece along the way it turns out the the test switch was bad producing a closed circuit in all positions .... and of course it was the last thing tested ... buuut problem solved

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Well it turns out it is a little more complicated than a straight series. Hunter decided to throw in a relay behind the the battery switch panel and an audible alarm test switch out on the pedestal by the alarm. After chasing down the whole circuit and testing ever piece along the way it turns out the the test switch was bad producing a closed circuit in all positions .... and of course it was the last thing tested ... buuut problem solved
Sorry I didn't catch this earlier
Yes, there is a relay circuit which is triggered either by the float switch or the cockpit switch. Pretty basic logic.
But, you're all good, and that's all that matters.

Just finished my latest upgrade
Underwater lights.
Yes, I never stop.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Good for you in finding the issue. Thanks for sharing the resolution. It will help a future boater who discovers an alarm he did not know he had. Way to pay it forward.

Jun 8, 2004
It is mounted to the back of the battery switch panel. Remove the base of the settee as if you are accessing the hot water heater. You will see a side panel in that compartment that covers the back of the battery switch' unscrew the panel and remove it. The relay is inside there attached to the back of the battery switch panel.

Jun 15, 2012
On my list of "to do" items, I want to install a siren inside the boat to warn of high water in the bilge. I don't think I would hear the helm siren if we were sleeping in the forward cabin with the door closed and the A/C going. Sounds like I could mount the siren in the compartment with the battery charger as it would use the vent holes already there and the wire run would be short between it and the relay output in the battery switch panel.