Cat 30 a good first time boat?

Jun 18, 2018
catalina 30 Port San Luis
Hi—

I've spent some time sailing/living aboard tall ships, but don't have much terribly experience sailing. I am looking to get my first boat, both to learn on, but primarily to live aboard. I was doing some research and it looks like the Cat 30 might be a good option, but wanted some opinions from more experienced sailors.

My primary/immediate purpose for the boat is just a place to live. I'd rather put monthly payments into a boat I own then towards a rented room in an apartment. I'm not so worried about comfort. I lived happily on a cramped tall ship with a crew of six for three months, and lived out of a four-door Toyota Camry for a year. Trust me, a Cat 30 is an upgrade I can handle.

Beyond that, I'm mostly wondering if it's a ship I'll be able to learn to sail on, and any issues or concerns I should think about going into this.

Thanks so much. Super excited to own my first boat!

Jun 18, 2018
catalina 30 Port San Luis
Question , if you are into the tall ship thing why not get something salty ? http://www.westsail.com/Westfs.htm
Well, I only mentioned the tall ship to indicate that I've spent time on the water, and I'm not going into the live aboard idea totally blind. I know virtually nothing about ships/boats, but figure the best way to learn is by taking the leap and buying one. And since I'll also be using it as a home, it's not a doubly valuable investment.

I'm not sure what you mean by "something salty." Is a Catalina best for freshwater sailing?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Salty is a term used in sailing as a description of more traditional sailing boats, like the tail ships you lived on vs a more modern boat like the Catalina 30.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
My wife and I have been living on a Catalina for almost 5 years. We love it. Ours is 31 feet long. If it was just me I would be fine with a Catalina 30.

Jun 24, 2014
Westsail 28 72 Long Beach , California
Hi David , "something salty" was men't to refer to the boats look . The C30 is a great ocean going boat . I knew a guy that sailed one to the South Pacific . Please don't get me wrong , to me the C30 is a modern looking boat the Westsails are a old design base on a really old design . However I think it could be argued that the Westsails are a "salty looking" production boat .

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Plenty of Catalina 30 live in all bodies of water and depending on how far off shore you plan to venture would probably drive a different set of requirements. For one person I'd think this would be a great size. You might even look at the 27 and 28 foot Catalinas too as I think they have stand up head room and a smaller boat is cheaper to maintain.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Loved my Catalina 30 on the coast of Maine. Very forgiving boat to sail. A bit “beamy” but that means good room below and more stability. Large cockpit. Adding a dodger and a Bimini is a good idea, and an autopilot if you’re sailing singlehanded.
Before buying, haul it out and check for the “Catalina smile” (not a good thing).
Good luck.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Before buying, haul it out and check for the “Catalina smile” (not a good thing).
Only necessary on pre-1989 boat. The Catalina Smile is caused by wood being used in the layup of the keel to boat joint. It was mistakenly added for lightweight strength but was very tough to keep dry and rotted causing the smile. If the keel bolts are fine its an easy fix. On the hard, remove the nuts and washers, cut open the fiberglass to remove all the wood. Then hand layup some fiberglass and epoxy. If the bolts have been damaged by the water its a different ballgame but can be fixed.

But checking the keel bolts is necessary on all boats with bolt on keels. Just part of regular maintenance.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I would consider the 27, and the early 28's inadequate to live on. Our 270 does not have enough storage space for extended onboard times, and the differences between ours and the 28mkii (post '96 production) are significant. It's the little things that an inexperienced buyer wouldn't see, like easy access to hatch board storage. It depends on your expectations. We probably have better amenities than an '80 something 30, but that comment could incite some serious discussion. :)