373 - LED navigation bulbs

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
I am new to my Beneteau 373 (2004) and am in the process of upgrading/swapping all the bulbs out for LEDs... mostly to keep power consumption in check, but also because they tend to last much longer. Anyhow, being new, I haven't yet been up my mast yet... and would prefer to take as few trips up the mast as possible. I'd like to swap out whatever bulbs are in my mid-mast deck/steaming light, as well as whatever bulb is up at the top for an all-round light up there. I've already found good replacements for the cabin, as well as the red/green up at the bow, and the stern lights... but I'd RATHER NOT go up the mast to figure out what bulbs I need up there, and then find/order replacements, and then go back up again to replace 'em. Does anyone know what bulbs I'm going to find up there, so you can save me one trip up? I'm pretty sure whatever is up there is original to the boat, though of course, I haven't been the owner for all these years, so I understand that nothing is guaranteed. Thanks.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
If a Beneteau owner doesn't answer this, send us pictures of the foredeck/steaming fixture and the anchor light. Use your binoculars as a telephoto lens. They work fantastically well for this with a steady hand and a couple practice shots.
We will then likely be able to determine the fixture manufacturers/models, which will allow specifying the bulbs.

Jan 12, 2016
Beneteau 311 Seattle, WA
Ah my anchor light just died and I need to replace mine too. I may have someone up the mast soon and will send along any info I get.

johey

Jan 2, 2007
Beneteau 390 Baltimore
Just replaced my light at the masthead with an OGM one (Orca Green Marine). Seems great - lets hope it lasts as long as I'm expecting.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I just finished replacing the bulb in our masthead light. It took 5 trips up the mast over the course of several weekends.
  1. Went up to remove the old bulb and find out what type it was.
  2. Up again for first attempt to replace with LED (did not function thought OK maybe wiring issue)
  3. Two weeks later went back up with an electrical meter to test the wiring. (polarity was reversed)
  4. Same day back up with tools to switch the wiring polarity. First LED bulb worked but was very dim. Also noticed my VHF antenna was damaged.
  5. Ordered a brighter bulb and replacement VHF antenna. Wave Mast-er VHF Antenna low profile 35" tall Hi-Flex stainless steel whip. Dielectric-Core for HIGH performance. UV Inhibited plastics Only $16.99 on E-bayWave Mast-er.jpg
  6. Next week back up to swap to a brighter LED bulb, and replace the VHF antenna.

2018-04-07 15.29.50.jpg 2018-04-07 15.29.59.jpg2018-04-13 18.30.43.jpg
Yeah!! We now have a functioning masthead light and VHF antenna.
2018-04-13 20.09.14.jpg

If you plan it better, you can probably cut that down to only 2-3 trips up the mast. LOL

Last edited:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Just shop for SEALED LED fixtures and replace whatever you currently have. Best way to prevent trips up the stick to sort out funky bulb contacts and random corrosion. OEG is good as are the MarineBeam fixtures. The MarineBeam owner is a Beneteau owner and his lighting solutions tend to be plug-n-play.