SPREADER LIGHTS

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
I am looking for suggestions. 4 years ago I put a pair of TACO LED brand spreader lights on to replace my Perko's. I don't recall the part number.
One filled with water and shorted it out, anyway I am thinking of replacing them with the new version model #38-4600WHA-1.
I talked with the Taco rep. at the AC boat show and was told that the new version has corrected the problem.
I am not locked in to these lights and would like any suggestions.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I don’t put any light aloft anymore that is not sealed, and LED. Who wants to be climbing the stick at 0 dark thirty to troubleshoot a lamp?

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
That is why I replaced the Perko's. They were not LED, and one was not working. Taco acknowledged the defect but because they are 4 years old they don't replace. The lights are not that expensive, plus I can purchase them wholesale. I just hate going up and replacing them. So I am hoping to get some suggestions on other brands that the owner is satisfied with.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Maybe the issue is spreader lights. Consider a mast light with a foredeck light like the Aqua Signal 25 with LED bulb.
2B91B4CD-D66C-4275-B286-1118366A3815.jpeg

Then get yourself a good dual white/red headlamp for the times you want more task lighting. You will better preserve your night vision than firing off bright spreader lighting.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
MarineBeam has a Steaming/Deck light that looks identical to the AS 25 but has sealed LEDs. Installing one on my C30 this spring.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
The traditional spreader lights used 4" tractor bulbs, just like sealed beam headlights, but smaller. They were great, but munched the amps, so when they came out w/LED bulbs for those I dove in head first. Can't say enough about the difference and how good these are. You might want to check out any catalogue for pricing and availability.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Our spreader lights look like auto headlights. They draw so much power you can use the voltage meter as a fan. Consequently, we rarely use the spreader lights unless the engine is running. Would like to replace them with LEDs if I could figure out which ones to get. And why are they so freakin expensive?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Our spreader lights look like auto headlights. They draw so much power you can use the voltage meter as a fan. Consequently, we rarely use the spreader lights unless the engine is running. Would like to replace them with LEDs if I could figure out which ones to get. And why are they so freakin expensive?
I imagine yours are like ours. They are available as LED direct replacements. Our old tractor bulb (4" sealed beam headlights) only had a few hour lifespan, so we only used them when necessary, but the LED ones are now years old and we use them a lot, especially for lighting the boat if guests are expected after dark. Since they are so long lasting, I no longer consider them expensive, plus we aren't going aloft to replace burned out ones as before.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Yup, those would be all the reasons why I’d like to replace them. They are on the list, after new furlers, sails and biminis...

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Here is a video of the new spreader lights I added to my boat. I love these things and they are ridiculously bright. They are LED drawing 0.49A and produce 1000 lumens each. They are very good looking and low profile. They also produce an oval light pattern that illuminates most of the deck without wasting light on the water. They can also be dimmed.
https://www.fisheriessupply.com/lunasea-lighting-spreader-light-cool-wht-led-dimmable-llb-472w-21-00

Last edited: