Replacing a halyard on a 23.5

May 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Lake Nockamixon
I tried the obvious way to replace the halyard by cutting of the shackle on the old line and attaching the new one to it to run it through. However I thought duct tape would be sufficient and it got caught about half way down and separated and now I'm left with the task of trying to fish the line through. I've tried several times to run 1/4" cable/wire fishing tool through the bottom of the mast but it gets stuck at the top of the mast. I really don't want to open up the top of the mast, but frustration has set in and I'm looking for suggestions. I should have sewed the lines together and I'd avoided this predicament! Any suggestions?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I should have sewed the lines together and I'd avoided this predicament! Any suggestions?
That.
I got nuthin' except shimmying up the mast and dropping the tape thru the halyard hole. You'd need someone down below to attach the new line or make two trips yourself. . Hopefully someone has been there and figured out an easier way

Jimmy

Jan 28, 2018
Hunter 26 lake Powell lake mead
I would take masthead off seems like a pain but probably save you time?

Jimmy

Jan 28, 2018
Hunter 26 lake Powell lake mead
It will still probably save you time. not sure but I bet they are aluminum rivits pretty easy to drill out and replace maybe someone else has a better idea .

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
They are SS rivets
Is it getting stuck by the spreader bolts?
undo the shrouds and roll it over maybe that will get it.
I did mine with the mast completely off the boat and on saw horses. You could also put one end on the ground and do the other end from the deck of the boat or off the tallest ladder you can get ahold of so that gravity is working with you.
you may have to bite the bullet and drill out the rivets it is really not that bad once you have done it. the SS rivets take both hands almost with a regular rivet gun.

May 28, 2016
I am getting hung up at the end for sure, although it was the shrouds that caused me issues trying to feed it through with the old halyard and caused this grief.

Definitely SS rivets, I already have the rivet gun from working on the spreaders a couple years ago. Just have to pick up a bit to drill bit them out with, none of mine seem to get through the old rivets. Seems easier than moving the mast.

Thanks for your help!

May 28, 2016
Apparently I used aluminum before not SS. Does anyone know what size rivets? I’ll need to order SS rivets on line, Lowe’s only carries aluminum. Thanks!

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
3/16 X 1/2I think

Removing the cap I think would be easier too but you seemed reluctant to deal with the rivets.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
I removed both the top and bottom end caps from my mast about 15 years ago. I did it to put foam pipe insulation around the electrical cable and halyard (or maybe just the cable?) because I couldn't stand the clanging. I had to push the foam up from both ends because there is a bar or something through the mast at the spreaders stopping me from feeding the foam past that point.

From memory it seems like the rivets were aluminum but it's been a long time. I may have replaced them with SS, as I remember having to use two hands with the cheap rivet gun I bought (but I'm not very strong).

At any rate, removing those end pieces seemed fairly trivial. I did it a 2nd time on my buddy's H26.

Jul 4, 2012
Hunter 23.5 Cape Charles
I once did something like this. I put some tiny lead fishing weights on a fishing line and fed it in from the top. Lifted the mast vertical with a friend's help and let the weight work the line down the mast. Fished it out of the lower hole with a coathanger. Then tied the fishing line to the rigging line and pulled it back up. It took several attempts, but worked for me.

Nov 13, 2011
Oday 23 New River Az
Since the mast is horizontal, attach a piece of string to a plastic shopping bag, stuff it through the top, use a shop vac to suck it through the hole at the bottom.

May 28, 2016
I’m the end I remove the masthead and all good! SS rivets come tomorrow and all set. 3/16 was correct. The hole in the mast head is a pretty smal target. Thanks everybody!

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
Since the mast is horizontal, attach a piece of string to a plastic shopping bag, stuff it through the top, use a shop vac to suck it through the hole at the bottom.
Well, that is certainly a unique idea. I like it. But it sounds like it would get hung up on the internal spreader hardware.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
A little too late since you already lost your messenger line, but...
I replaced the halyard on my O’Day 322 today. Cut the shackle off the old halyard, used a paper clip (straightened except for a “hook”on each end), jammed the hooks into the 2 rope ends, and wrapped the whole butt splice with electrical tape.

It went WAAAAYYYY smoother than I had hoped.:dancing:

Pulled the new halyard over the sheeve, down the mast, through the blocks and the rope clutch without a hitch (pun intended).

If your mast is down, I would prop it up on one end, weigh the end of a messenger line and “shake” it down the mast.

Good luck.

Greg