FARFROMPOOPIN!!

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Mornin
Started experimenting with some dried soups to find the best to store on the boat.
Anyone experienced a farfrompoopin moment after eating dried soups or other dried food???
Really enjoyed some of the soups we tried but if this is an issue with dried products not sure
if a traffic jam is worth it!!
Keep your comments clean otherwise they will be wiped
Gary

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Mornin' Gary,
My wife and I dry foods all the time from jerky to fruits to applesauce (think Fruit Rollups). That is not a problem we have had. We do a lot of multi-night hiking and also buy commercially available dried meals. We haven't dried a soup per se, but wouldn't expect to have problems and we are planning on replacing the commercial meals with our own creations. What was your process and what kinds of foods were in the dried soups?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Mornin
Started experimenting with some dried soups to find the best to store on the boat.
Anyone experienced a farfrompoopin moment after eating dried soups or other dried food???
Really enjoyed some of the soups we tried but if this is an issue with dried products not sure
if a traffic jam is worth it!!
Keep your comments clean otherwise they will be wiped
Gary
Try adding water.

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Store bought asian soup not our creation
Something like an MRE

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Gary,
The problem isn't inherent in dried foods. There are a number of points at which whatever caused your experiences could have entered the process. It could have been a bad batch, the water source could be the problem, it just might be the body not being use to the type and composition of food. Western versions of Asian foods tend to be heavy on the salt and I would expect instant soups to be heavier than most other types of Asian foods. One of my complaints with commercially available dried meals is their heavy use of salt. My parents and my in-laws added lots of salt to their food just as a matter of habit. If you tried a pre-salted product and added your own salt as a matter of course, you are really getting dosed with a lot of salt. This can cause such responses.
I have found most of these to be good, some variety are a bit grainy:

-Will (Dragonfly)

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I'm not sure why you are doing this experimenting. Are you planning ocean crossings? Dried foods are not recommended for long ocean voyages as water is much more important to your survival than food. In a lifeboat/survival situation, eating dried salty food could be very harmful, unless you have an unlimited amount of fresh water.
Stick to canned goods. They have a much longer storage life, are much cheaper and come in a much greater variety.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
This is an issue with dehydrated food. You really have to let it steep the full time prescribed. This is also an issue with long passages. Between dehydration and just sitting for long periods of time constipation is a common issue.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Had a bear steal about 2 weeks worth of gourmet high-priced dehydrated food once, all he left was the wine powder from the Coq' Au Vin. My most fervent wish was that it made him thirsty and miserable after he took a big drink and it all expanded. If it gave him colic that would be nice too.

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Water quality is excellent,didn't add salt,like the soup
Thought it would be good to keep,no weight,last forever

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Water quality is excellent,didn't add salt,like the soup
Thought it would be good to keep,no weight,last forever
It might have just been a convergence of factors and/or a bad batch. If it wasn't too miserable, I'd try it again to be sure the soup was the problem.
If you are experimenting for a long voyage, don't worry about the water because you still get it in the soup. Just don't boil it all away in the preparation. We ate dried meals while crossing the Atlantic and were grateful for some of the delicious flavors. 4 days to Bermuda, 14 days to the Azores, 7 days to Ireland. There was plenty to last thrice that and more for the four of us on a Shannon 50. Water is heavy so a good watermaker is my suggestion.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Had a bear steal about 2 weeks worth of gourmet high-priced dehydrated food once, all he left was the wine powder from the Coq' Au Vin. My most fervent wish was that it made him thirsty and miserable after he took a big drink and it all expanded. If it gave him colic that would be nice too.
I had a bear kill 10 of my chickens. I was hoping the same thing, that chicken would cause terrible digestive problems for bears. Only, the bear didn't really eat the chickens, so I don't think I got my vengeance. Maybe the following bear season got it for me.

-Will (Dragonfly)