AIS receive only or transmit too?

Apr 24, 2006
Aloha 32 Toronto, Lake Ontario
Upgrading electronics and now require a converter to interface my Standard Horizon VHF/AIS with the new network (SH AIS is NMEA 0183 and the new network is N2K).

I've noticed that I can add a Class B AIS transceiver for about $400 more. It would simply replace the SH radio as the AIS signal source to the plotter.

Question - is it worth $400 to have AIS transmit? We plan to sail the boat from the Great Lakes to somewhere south and warm in a couple years. Having AIS receive only on the Great Lakes for the past few years has been more than adequate to stay out of the path of the occasional freighter.

Looking for advice...

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Out here in the PNW where we have lots of commercial traffic, ferries and fog I decided transmit and have a Raymarine AIS650 with a splitter. The newer AIS700’s don’t require a splitter. Be sure and factor in anew antenna or splitter into the costs

Mahalo

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
:plus: With Les. I picked the Vesper XB8000. Interfaces with many systems. Also has Wi-Fi gateway functionality. AIS on the iPad using iNavx.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
:plus: With Les. I picked the Vesper XB8000. Interfaces with many systems. Also has Wi-Fi gateway functionality. AIS on the iPad using iNavx.
:plus:

It is as important to be seen as to see what's out there. The Vesper XB8000 is a wonderful addition. I have one that feeds the data to the chart plotter. Also have the SH 2200 with receive only AIS. This allows DSC calling to boats that show up on the AIS.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I have been struggling with the same issue. I have had receive for many years. It's fine. I sail in a very high commercial traffic area and don't want to add to the clutter. I imagine most commercial vessels suppress class B around here. That's what has stopped me; I don't see the real utility for me in my area. If I were to get a transmitter, I would be sure I could easily turn it off. FWIW...

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
If I were to get a transmitter, I would be sure I could easily turn it off. FWIW...
The RM has both provision for hardware switch AND a software switch to turn off transmit. The documented use is for areas prone to pirate attacks.

Rick if you feel big boat squelch you why would you care if you add clutter. @jssailem can tell you about AIS causing a VHF conversation with a heavy.

Mahalo

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
The RM has both provision for hardware switch AND a software switch to turn off transmit. The documented use is for areas prone to pirate attacks.

Rick if you feel big boat squelch you why would you care if you add clutter. @jssailem can tell you about AIS causing a VHF conversation with a heavy.

Mahalo
Well I too have had a conversation with a Mexican tanker approaching at night from my port aft quarter. He responded to my call and confirmed he did not see me. I shined a spotlight in his direction and asked if he saw me and what he wanted me to do while I held course. He said he would turn starboard and all was well. So, would have transmit been helpful? I would hope so but wouldn't count on it. You raise a good point about being concerned about clutter if the big guys have B suppressed. There are still a lot of targets out there and adding to it unnecessarily seems pointless. If I had a transmitter, I would turn it off until I was out in open ocean in daylight conditions. I have considered getting a transmitter; I just don't have it as a top priority.

Jan 11, 2014
I have been struggling with the same issue. I have had receive for many years. It's fine. I sail in a very high commercial traffic area and don't want to add to the clutter. I imagine most commercial vessels suppress class B around here. That's what has stopped me; I don't see the real utility for me in my area. If I were to get a transmitter, I would be sure I could easily turn it off. FWIW...
Rick, the Vesper has both an optional hardware switch to receive only and a software switch. With regards to traffic, we have the opposite problem, very little traffic within range. I had the AIS for over a year before I finally found another boat using one that showed up on the chart plotter.

@jssailem Sometimes I think we're a little overboard in the electronics department. The last time we sailed across the lake we had 2 devices with AIS, and something like 8 different GPSs! There was the B&G chart plotter, the Vesper, a handheld garmin, 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, the VHF, and one USB GPS for the laptop. We do like the belt and suspenders approach. I remember the day when I thought I was well equipped with a boom box and a compass.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
It is very reassuring to have a commercial pilot come on Ch16, call my boat by name and discuss a crossing situation. The USN doesn’t typically transmit on AIS, but you can be certain they receive. And finally, I have family and friend set up to track me with AIS freeware on their mobile devices.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
You raise a good point about being concerned about clutter if the big guys have B suppressed. There are still a lot of targets out there and adding to it unnecessarily seems pointless.
It isn't clutter if it's directly in front of you. Get the transmitter if money is not an issue.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Most systems, certainly the Vesper, allow you to filter the returns to that which will cross your path.

Vesper has a software/display system that color codes and fades contacts based on CPA (closest point of approach).
I suspect that the systems aboard the big boys have a similar function. If your in their way they will be able to see you. If you'll pass by they don't need to see you.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I have AIS send and receive and really wouldn't want to be without it. Not that anything is fool proof but I feel better knowing that I can be seen by the others boats with AIS. Is just one more safety feature.

I use the Digital Yacht AIS wifi hub so that it wirelessly connects to my iPad.

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
I consider the AIS transmit more important than the AIS receive. It's much easier for you to notice a 1000ft steel ship coming at you at 20 knots than it is for a tired deck officer on that ship to notice a 30ft sailboat in a large swell. Even with a radar reflector, a fiberglass sailboat gives only a weak radar return. AIS is now the primary anti-collision system for commercial vessels since they all are required to have it. So it's only natural that they pay more attention to the nice legible AIS targets on the screen than the weak return on the radar -- that's probably not anything to worry about - just a wave or birds. I've never met anyone who's had AIS transmit that would go without it on their next boat.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I've Vesper XB8000 and NMEA its GPS signal to my SH GX2150.
Wifi it with my android tablet for AIS display.

Apr 24, 2006
Aloha 32 Toronto, Lake Ontario
Lots of replies and mostly consensus on having a transponder vs receive only. I was hoping for a response like this as mostly everyone around here (Great Lakes) are day sailors who rarely even turn their VHF on.
I'm considering the Emtrak B100 and matching S100 antenna splitter. My MFD will take care of displaying targets, target data, CPA/TCPA alarms, rebroadcast to my iPad etc. I'll also pipe it's GPS data to my SH GX2100 via the NMEA 0183 output on the B100.
There are higher end Emtrak products as well as Vesper but the B100 seems like a good performance/cost tradeoff.

Thanks for all the input.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
It is my understanding that most if not all AIS transceivers have the capability of silencing the transmitter either by a hardware or software switch. However, it seems that regulations severely limit when it is acceptable to do so. My interpretation of Para 6 of this link is that if you have an AIS, it must always be keep in an operating condition (i.e. is serviceable) and continuously operating unless the safety or security of the vessel may be compromised.
https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=AISFAQ#6
So I read this to mean if you have an AIS you must use it or is my take on this incorrectly.

Jan 11, 2014
So I read this to mean if you have an AIS you must use it or is my take on this incorrectly.
The key words are vessels required.

6. 33 CFR 164.46(d), vessels required to have AIS must operate it in U.S. navigable waters (as defined in 33 CFR 2.36) at all times that the vessel is navigating (underway or at anchor) and at least 15 minutes prior to unmooring.

Recreational vessels are not required to have AIS, so they are not required to have them transmitting at all times.