Dripless - PSS or Lasdrop

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I asked LasDrop about the retention collar. They said the clamping pressure is so high, it's not necessary. The PSS relies on effectively 2 set screws pressed against the shaft. 2 extra to prevent backout. Good reason to use the collar.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I'd probably get the collar anyway. For the extra few bucks, it's removing a single point of failure.

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
Here is the way I look at this. Our previous boat, owned for 12 years, had a PSS and no retention collar. We had exactly zero issues with the seal.
I am installing a PSS on our current boat this spring. Did I order a retention collar? Yes, I did, not because I really think I need it but because for the $20 they charge, I would be stupid not to.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
If you don't have a retention collar, use a SS hose clamp in the mean time.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
PYI markets the collar for the possibility of a shaft disconnect, but they show it installed behind the PSS seal. Does it have two functions or is it really secondary retention of the SS seal clamp? Regardless. I'm with you guys, for $20 it's cheap insurance. And it can be added without removing the shaft again.

Aug 1, 2011
It's a split collar, so there's no real unbalanced weight. Although a hose clamp is light, it's still parasitic. I am in year 5 of the PSS, and up here, there's close to a 100 degree (C) end to end temperature swing, and thus far, no problem. Of course the thing isn't operating at -30, so I'd expect that the claims of how long it lasts are going to be impacted by that. And, as you can see in the attached shot, mine has the nylon barb.
IMG_0402.JPG

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Wow, you have less clearance than I do! That must have been fun getting that coupler off. I have less patience probably. I would go to a split coupler!

Aug 1, 2011
Funny you should say that. I claim ignorance. In all the research I did, I never saw a split coupler, until 38 seconds after the shaft and coupler were ordered.
I’ll change it when the bellows gets done in a couple of years.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Funny you should say that. I claim ignorance. In all the research I did, I never saw a split coupler, until 38 seconds after the shaft and coupler were ordered.
I’ll change it when the bellows gets done in a couple of years.
MainSail describes them in his article and he mentions that they are trickier to install correctly.

Aug 1, 2011
Yeah, I know. (now) This wasn't as much of a pain as the picture would suggest, there was about an inch of free space before the bellows got compressed, and without the collar there's lots of room. I was more concerned after reading how much of a pain the cutlass bearing was to do, made a tool that was a pita, and found a backwards mounted hacksaw blade made short work of that nonsense.

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
If you don't have a retention collar, use a SS hose clamp in the mean time.
A hose clamp could throw your shaft out of balance, saw that on a friends boat last summer. He ended up replacing the clamp with an anode.

Last edited:

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I also have a Volvo seal in mine, first year I had it, no problems, last leaked about every second day, (about 1/2 quart a day), it will be replaced this spring and I'm looking at a PSS. Great thread!
Have you burped and greased it? When I first got my boat it dropped however once I burped and greased it completely stopped.

Dec 31, 2016
Have you burped and greased it? When I first got my boat it dropped however once I burped and greased it completely stopped.
Yes, I burped it several times, I'm thinking the rubber is just too hard from age.

May 12, 2004
A hose clamp could throw your shaft out of balance, saw that on a friends boat last summer. He ended up replacing the clamp with an anode.
I wouldn't have thought that a light weight hose clamp could cause an imbalance. Don't notice any imbalance but will take your suggestion and replace with an anode and see if there's a difference.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
That was the old school way to balance an auto's driveshaft. They are larger in diameter though.
You could put another hose clamp opposite the old one, wouldn't that cancel it out?

May 12, 2004
You could put another hose clamp opposite the old one, wouldn't that cancel it out?
Well, that makes sense, too. I think I'll wait for more input on this before I go to the trouble of turning myself into a pretzel to fix something that might not be broken.

Dec 31, 2016
That was the old school way to balance an auto's driveshaft. They are larger in diameter though.
Yup. I used them on car shafts also, but when you consider a lot of early Chevy's (just for an example), had a shaft dia. of 2.75", compared to a boat shaft of 7/8" or 1",the weight/size of the head of the clamp would be closer to the size of the dia. of the shaft. But maybe I'm wrong on this.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
PYI markets the collar for the possibility of a shaft disconnect, but they show it installed behind the PSS seal. Does it have two functions or is it really secondary retention of the SS seal clamp? Regardless. I'm with you guys, for $20 it's cheap insurance. And it can be added without removing the shaft again.
PSS got the shaft collar idea from me, from an article I wrote back in 2005 or so. I install them on customers boats because owners have a habit of frigging with things they should not. The set screws can only be tightened ONCE and should never be re-used yet people re-use them far too often.

I can say that in well over 20+ years of PSS experience I have never heard of or seen any evidence of a failure of a "properly installed" & "properly maintained" PSS seal. I know far more boats that have sunk due to traditional packing glands than a have sunk due to a PSS.

A "proper" installation of a PSS always requires a trip to the local shafting shop to confirm proper fitment of the shaft to gear flange coupling. Once you remove the coupling it it is most often done for and can and should not be re-used. Perhaps 1 in 15 is actually re-usable. A shaft collar is a very good idea for folks who fail to ensure proper fit of the shaft to gear flange.

Installing a PSS Shaft Seal

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
PSS got the shaft collar idea from me, from an article I wrote back in 2005 or so. I install them on customers boats because owners have a habit of frigging with things they should not. The set screws can only be tightened ONCE and should never be re-used yet people re-use them far too often.

I can say that in well over 20+ years of PSS experience I have never heard of or seen any evidence of a failure of a "properly installed" & "properly maintained" PSS seal. I know far more boats that have sunk due to traditional packing glands than a have sunk due to a PSS.

A "proper" installation of a PSS always requires a trip to the local shafting shop to confirm proper fitment of the shaft to gear flange coupling. Once you remove the coupling it it is most often done for and can and should not be re-used. Perhaps 1 in 15 is actually re-usable. A shaft collar is a very good idea for folks who fail to ensure proper fit of the shaft to gear flange.

Installing a PSS Shaft Seal
OK, my coupling has been re-used about two times. I am going to have my second PSS bellows replacement. It seems like a new split-coupling would be the way to go. What do you think?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
OK, my coupling has been re-used about two times. I am going to have my second PSS bellows replacement. It seems like a new split-coupling would be the way to go. What do you think?
Never mind; I saw your post from 2012 on another forum. Thanks.
Rick D.