Nature walk

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I just recently heard that sea cucumbers are edible:confused:

- Will (Dragonfly)
Apparently the fisheries are being under pressure by foreign countries that have a variety of sea creatures as part of their diet.

All U Get

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
The Fijians I dove with regularly collected a large one to eat one day. Apparently it needed to be boiled 5 separate times before the actual cooking, and they still got sick. I'll pass on that one, thanks.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
it needed to be boiled 5 separate times before the actual cooking, and they still got sick.
Is that the attraction? Or had they never gotten sick from sea cucumber before?
What I always want to know, when I hear about something disgusting or terribly poisonous being made edible through some long and elaborate process, like boiling 5 times or 3 or more water changes before soaking in lye, is, what people, after the initial failed attempts to live through a preparation, would keep trying until they figured it out?

How many people have to die before we are satisfied something isn't edible?

https://www.livestrong.com/article/446427-how-do-i-cook-sea-cucumber/
This site shows the benefits of eating sea cucumber and how to prepare it. Not as elaborate.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
That reminds me of the recipe for cooking Merganser Ducks. Clean the ducks and put them in a pot with 4 nice roud rocks, the size of a large potato. Boil for 7 hours, then discard the ducks and eat the rocks.

Matt

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Is that the attraction? Or had they never gotten sick from sea cucumber before?
What I always want to know, when I hear about something disgusting or terribly poisonous being made edible through some long and elaborate process, like boiling 5 times or 3 or more water changes before soaking in lye, is, what people, after the initial failed attempts to live through a preparation, would keep trying until they figured it out?

How many people have to die before we are satisfied something isn't edible?

https://www.livestrong.com/article/446427-how-do-i-cook-sea-cucumber/
This site shows the benefits of eating sea cucumber and how to prepare it. Not as elaborate.

- Will (Dragonfly)
Apparently they had not gotten sick before, or just didn't admit it to us. I don't know. But we were subsistence spear fishing to feed an entire village, so I was just helping out. I never got the idea that they commonly ate sea cucumbers. But if you wanted to fish with them, you did things their way. Eels, turtles and sharks were all on the menu when you dove with the natives. I wasn't particularly into killing turtles, but in that situation, you keep your feelings to yourself, or don't go out diving with them.