Major work ahead

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
That hole in the hull is in a place that will not be easy to fix. It appears to extend down past the edge of the water tank, and as mentioned, the amount of stuff that may need to be acquired exceeds the cost of finding a fully equipped unit.

Jul 22, 2011
Mariner Yacht Co.(NH) Mariner 28 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
I've got a bad feeling about this.
A newbie sailor who obtains a hull with a huge hole in it, wants to learn by doing: below the waterline fiberglass repair, rigging, naval architecture and then teach himself to sail his new creation. What could go wrong?
First order of business, buy a high quality life jacket and and an epirb. Ok, the first two orders of business are a life jacket, an epirb and a water proof handheld VHF. Among the orders of business......

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Over 20 responses without hearing back from the originator of the post. What do you think by now, a troll? I suspect it's not a serious inquiry. Either that, or the folly finally dawned on gypsy.

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
A few things to be aware of; 1) All damaged glass needs to be ground away and replaced. The damaged will be much greater than it looks. When done grinding you will have lots of wide open space to cover. 2)the interior of your boat, sometimes called a pan, is bonded to the hull. This gives it strength and stiffness. It will probably be damaged and probably has come free from the hull. Repairing and rebounding it will make the outside work seem easy. 3) Sanding will be painful. You are most often in an awkward position and using mussels that are not used often. 4)the incidentals hit the budget hard. Sandpaper, solvents, tape, masks, nuts and bolts, and on and on.
Try this first. Cover the holes and clean the boat up. Then spend some time in it. Is this the boat for you? If so do you want to spend your time working on it? There are those that like working on boats. If you want to sail there are much better boats to start with and they can be found in the price range of your present boat repair cost.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
@gypsy81 ,
Let us know if you are still working on this boat or have moved on to another one. We love hearing and writing about projects, but we love updates even more. The best includes more pictures.
Hope your plans are working out for you.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
... If you want to sail there are much better boats to start with...
Based on what criteria? The 26D like they have is a fast boat, compare the PHRF ratings to say your boat. Not saying that they should pursue fixing up this boat, that is their decision, but the 26D is a popular boat and a good one,

Sumner
==============================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Feb 15, 2018
MacGregor 26C Southern AZ
We are still going ahead with this project, but as it is a labor of love and not money, it may be slow moving ;). We will post some more pics when we get some more of the holes patched up.

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
Sorry to any affended any 26D boat owner. I meant the boat that is damaged and did not mean to make any reference to brand or model. My criteria was based on the damage that can be seen in the pictures, the stated missing parts, and a guess on my part of labor and cost to repair "that boat". Time and materials will be great to repair "that boat". What do they enjoy doing? Sailing or repair work?
Based on what criteria? The 26D like they have is a fast boat, compare the PHRF ratings to say your boat. Not saying that they should pursue fixing up this boat, that is their decision, but the 26D is a popular boat and a good one,

Sumner
==============================================================================
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
We are still going ahead with this project, but as it is a labor of love and not money, it may be slow moving ;). We will post some more pics when we get some more of the holes patched up.
Glad to hear that you aren't being discouraged by all the "nay sayers." I, for one, think that the restoration is half the fun.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Glad to hear that you aren't being discouraged by all the "nay sayers." I, for one, think that the restoration is half the fun.
In this particular case, given the placement of the damage, the "nay sayers" may have a point. There is a LOT of force at play with that water tank, and where it is glassed to the hull is important. This should not be considered a cosmetic repair, and has structural implications. That has nothing to do with the capabilities of the boat, but rather, the safety and security of the people on the boat after the repair.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Sorry to any affended any 26D boat owner. I meant the boat that is damaged and did not mean to make any reference to brand or model. My criteria was based on the damage that can be seen in the pictures, the stated missing parts, and a guess on my part of labor and cost to repair "that boat". Time and materials will be great to repair "that boat". What do they enjoy doing? Sailing or repair work?
Well re-reading your original post I can see where you were talking about this particular boat and not the make/model. Sorry for jumping to that conclusion :(,

Sumner
=============================================================
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...