The new AC boat

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
That's a very decent piece, and I agree with or at least empathize with a lot of the sentiments. I too think that boats the the TP52 (offshore race monohulls with straightforward upwind and downwind sail configurations) are kind of the apogee of traditional monohull design and would be a good basis for an AC boat.

The trick is, however, that the AC has ALWAYS been about state of the art. Every AC design pushed that when it came out. Like it or not, we are in the age of foilers. Beneteau is offering civilian racers the foiling Figaro 3 for under 200K. NO WAY the next next AC boat can not be a foiler. No way.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
World Sailing has a nice vid on the new AC boat, talking to the CEO of BAR Racing and talking about his expectations. Interesting, he's predicting top speed of over 50 knots.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I had to rewind a couple times to make sure I heard right, that each foil weighs 1.5 TON :yikes: . I'm guessing this is needed to satisfy a need to increase the boats righting moment from the windward side? but I always thought the lee foil "supported" the boat. I guess that's why I'm not a boat designer ;)

Nov 8, 2010
I had to rewind a couple times to make sure I heard right, that each foil weighs 1.5 TON :yikes: . I'm guessing this is needed to satisfy a need to increase the boats righting moment from the windward side? but I always thought the lee foil "supported" the boat. I guess that's why I'm not a boat designer ;)
I’m sure it’s to hold the boat upright at low speeds when both foils are down. It’s a big rig, imagine it without ballast.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
The weight of the windward foil out of the water is the same as hiking on a trapeze.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
The weight of the windward foil out of the water is the same as hiking on a trapeze.
But how much lift is produced by the lee foil? I would have thought it to be very substantial at speed, and proportionate to the need at lower speeds.

Nov 8, 2010
But how much lift is produced by the lee foil? I would have thought it to be very substantial at speed, and proportionate to the need at lower speeds.
It’s done for the reason I said. They could make the foils weigh 1/10th of the described weight, but the boat could fall over at low speeds with a puff. The lift generated is not proportional, and 0 in stall conditions.

In addition, it allows the boat to self right.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Sounds like we’ll still have bicyclists powering up the hydraulics to move those things.

Nov 8, 2010
Sounds like we’ll still have bicyclists powering up the hydraulics to move those things.
Not this time; the new rules allow for a One Design standard pump and battery pack; common across all boats.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Well, they got a battery pack & a motor driven pump... There goes the whole human powered aspect of the boat. Also, the concept boat in the video doesn't look workable to me. With the boat balancing on a foil that is that far out to lee, I can't see how you will reliably maintain your rudder in the water.

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
Well, they got a battery pack & a motor driven pump... There goes the whole human powered aspect of the boat. Also, the concept boat in the video doesn't look workable to me. With the boat balancing on a foil that is that far out to lee, I can't see how you will reliably maintain your rudder in the water.
Each foil will have 42 independently adjustable control surfaces, receiving inputs from a 10 teraflops central computer with triple redundant ring laser gyros. A single foil will therefore be capable of controlling the vessels heading, pitch, and roll, preventing any undesirable attitudes. This will also obviate the need for a rudder. Additionally, a fiber optic laser wind detection system will provide wind data up to 100 meters ahead of the vessel, allowing the computer to make adjustments to both vessel attitude and sail position for optimum performance and upset prevention.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Each foil will have 42 independently adjustable control surfaces, receiving inputs from a 10 teraflops central computer with triple redundant ring laser gyros. A single foil will therefore be capable of controlling the vessels heading, pitch, and roll, preventing any undesirable attitudes. This will also obviate the need for a rudder. Additionally, a fiber optic laser wind detection system will provide wind data up to 100 meters ahead of the vessel, allowing the computer to make adjustments to both vessel attitude and sail position for optimum performance and upset prevention.
Hmm, kind of like NASCAR allowing traction control. I have no problem with instrumentation, but for a real sailing race, all operational control should require direct human input.

Nov 8, 2010
Hmm, kind of like NASCAR allowing traction control. I have no problem with instrumentation, but for a real sailing race, all operational control should require direct human input.

Hmmmm... He made that up.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
Google AI was going to replace the helmsman, but the AI reduced boatspeed to safe levels and followed rules explictly, causing accidents during trials as competing skippers acted aggressively to overtake.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
With all the grousing about the AC 34/35 cats not being "real sailboats" how is this different? I don't drive about in a Formula One car either so..and I would sleep through a keelboat race. But this just looks like the foiling cats less one hull with a lot less initial stability.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
a fiber optic laser wind detection system will provide wind data up to 100 meters ahead of the vessel, allowing the computer to make adjustments to both vessel attitude and sail position for optimum performance and upset prevention.
Sorry, I’m emoji illiterate... Could happen tho
I agree, we WILL get there and more.

The results of these innovations will be the multiplying of the class system among sailors. Those who "ride", those who "steer" and those who "sail".
No sarcasm emoji here.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
The results of these innovations will be the multiplying of the class system among sailors. Those who "ride", those who "steer" and those who "sail".
Where have you been?

Always been like this. Here is a 30 year old picture. One guy steering, 3 guys Sailing, every one else riding. Good news, if anything this has gotten better, not worse.

79868415-8DFA-4FA0-AA65-611D6199D353.jpeg