Catalina 27 Holding Tank Pump Out Problem

Mar 31, 2017
CC 25 BOSTON
Hi,
I have a 1989 Catalina 27 and I'm having an issue pumping out the holding tank. The pump out hatch is located in the anchor locker and I've been unable to fit a pump out hose in there because of the angle. I've had two pump out boats attempt this and they were also unable to get the hose into the hole because of the 90 degree fitting on the end of the house. It seems like I need a pvc pipe extension to come out about 6" or so to clear the anchor locker. Has anyone run into this problem before and if so what size pipe/fittings did you use?

Thank you.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
This is not how Catalina installs tanks, so I'm guessing that this tank was installed by by a PO.

There's only one good solution: install a deck pumpout fitting and run a hose to it. However, if there's no pumpout fitting on the tank--if it has to be pumped out by actually sticking the end of a pumpout hose into the tank--that may not be as simple as it sounds. Is it a bladder or a rigid tank? If it's an unvented bladder, you'll have to replace the tank because USCG regs prohibit using unvented bladders--unvented tanks of any kind--for waste holding.

We need to brainstorm this a bit...so send me a private message that includes your email address (email is SOOO much easier than PMs!) and I'll be glad to help you sort out what you'll have to do to end up with a sanitation system that works the way it's supposed to.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
From what I saw on the webz, the C27 didn't come with a holding tank. Deferring to Peggie....

Apr 13, 2007
Catalina 27 TR Lorain, Ohio
I have an 86 C27 and I can assure you they do have holding tanks. I'm a little confused. You say you can't get the hose to fit in to the hole because of the 90 degree fitting on the "house"? Do you mean on the pump out hose? Where I get my pump out it is a straight hose and they have a 90 degrees adapter to screw onto it if needed depending on the boat. The OEM pump out is on the bottom of the anchor locker. If it is elsewhere, then it has been changed. My pump out gives me a plastic threaded adapter that screws into the cover threads. The other side of the adapter is for a clam type fitting (same style as used on fire hose or fuel delivery trucks). These come in a range of sizes and materials. I think this is a 1 1/2 inch fitting. The rubber end of the pumpout hose fits into this with no problem and empties the tank PDQ. Once, while away from my home port I did have to get a pump out elsewhere and they did have an 90 ell on the end. I had to take out the anchor and rode from the locker and turn the suction hose around at a weird angle but it got the job done. Maybe a picture of what you are talking about would help.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I think Peggie points you in the right direction: Install a deck pumpout fitting. Run a hose to the tank. Wash your hands, have a beer..... In that order...

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
It can't be a deck fitting if it isn't on the deck, Rick. I'm hoping he'll accept my offer to brainstorm the best solution so I can find out from him exactly what he does have.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
Previous 27 owner here. It's a deck fitting... on the floor of the anchor locker.

MitchK

Sep 22, 2017
Capital Yachts Newport 28 Burbank, WA
I had a similar problem on my recently acquired Newport 28 2. The pump out fitting is in the chain locker, and the pump out hose would not fit. The other problem was the clean out port threads. The one the pump out boat gave me had the wrong threads. After a bit measuring, I discovered the cleanout port threads are 1-1/2 inch with 12 threads per inch. I took a barb to not adapter, turned the threads off, then cut a new set of threads. Used a piece of 1" vinyl tubing to the matching cannock fitting that fits the pump out boat. Worked great. The 1" hose allowed enough clearance to screw in the fitting. The tubing is about 18" long. I'm sure there has to be a ready made adapter, but in my case, the pump out was scheduled for the following and I needed a fitting that would fit.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Seems to me that moving the pumpout fitting to the deck (in which case it would become a deck fitting :pimp:) with a connecting hose would simplify pumping out a whole bunch!

Mar 31, 2017
CC 25 BOSTON
Thank you to everyone that has responded and I apologize for the delay in getting back to everyone. Rick and Joetech have it correct in that there is a factory installed holding tank with a deck fitting inside the anchor locker. The problem is that all of the pump out hoses I’ve come across have a sharp 90 degree plastic fitting at the end that couldn’t be removed and the 90 degree angle prevented the hose from being able to get into the anchor locker and into the fitting. RickD, that adapter looks like it would solve the problem. I’ll have to verify what type of threads I have before buying one. I’ll try to post some pictures this weekend. Thanks again everyone.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I have a deck fitting, but I always feel like the pump out hose terminal doesn't really secure a vacuum. (They usually have a cam lock, but there is nothing on my deck fitting to help secure the hose.) I think I will try one of these extensions to see if I can make a better seal. I always feel like one little flinch when I'm holding the hose to the fitting is going to result in a disastrous mess.
BTW, I'm never satisfied that several inches of fluid is always left in the tank after a pump out. I suppose it is because the vacuum breaks as soon as the water level drops below the top of the hose opening into the bottom of the tank. Is this a common complaint? It makes a 10 gallon tank have significantly less capacity.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
BTW, I'm never satisfied that several inches of fluid is always left in the tank after a pump out. I suppose it is because the vacuum breaks as soon as the water level drops below the top of the hose opening into the bottom of the tank. Is this a common complaint? It makes a 10 gallon tank have significantly less capacity.
Yup. My boat does that too - the pump out comes out of the side of the holding tank on the bottom - so soon as it's down to 1.5" the pump out pumps no more and that's pretty dang annoying. I moved my macerator to be below the tank, I can drain the tank completely with the macerator.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I have a deck fitting, but I always feel like the pump out hose terminal doesn't really secure a vacuum. (They usually have a cam lock, but there is nothing on my deck fitting to help secure the hose.)
Dometic/SeaLand makes a "universal" fitting that does give you a good seal...they call it a "Nozall." It threads into the deck fitting, then connects via a cam lock to the dockside pumpout. Google "SeaLand Nozall" to see it...I don't know if the sbo.com carries it. If not, it's available from a bunch of places. Note that it's available in several sizes to fit different size deck fittings--TPI (threads per inch) and diameter--and be sure you get the right one.

An inch left in the bottom of the tank is common on tanks that have the discharge fitting at the bottom.