Broken forward hatch window options?

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
I had a small crack in the window around one of the latches before leaving on a 9 day trip and I accidentally pressed on it and it cracked in half down the middle. I used silicone to temporarily repair it but now I need to fix it. Is there a way to replace just window portion?

Attachments

Jun 2, 2014
I believe my hatch is 15-7/8 centered on the dogs. According to CD, my only option is the bomar lens which is thick and may not be good. I called Bomar and they said they don't have anything pre-1999 and couldn't help me.
What should I do?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Well, I would think any good plastics house should be able to match that lens unless there something unique, which there does not appear to be. Failing that, this is the jobber I used to replace my port lights, opening and fixed: M.D.I., Marco Drovandi, 949 290 1069.

Jun 2, 2014
I just called that guy, Marco, and he doesn't think it would be more than a couple hundred to do the whole replacement. Very cool. Thanks.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The Tapp Plastics guys up at Stockton , California, did a fine job for me.. I had them cut 3/8" thick smoked acrylic lenses to my exact measurements.. then I pulled the old ones and glued in the new with Dow Corning 795.. Their cutting was perfect.. Hardest part was cleaning out the old frame and masking the lens and frame to make a nice glue job.. https://www.tapplastics.com/product...plastic/acrylic_sheets_transparent_colors/519

Jun 2, 2014
I used the M.D.I. Boat window guy, brought him my hatch, and in 24 hours he installed a new lens and gave it back to me for $150 (less than ordering a custom lens myself). He also said new port light windows are about $25/ea if I install them myself. Super helpful and reasonable guy. No B.S.
Marco Drovandi, (949)290-1069. 1008 S. Hathaway #G, Santa Ana, CA

Jun 2, 2014
Marco Drovandi moved to Hawaii and gave his customers to another guy who is double the price now. FYI.
My hatch window is cracked again (someone must've stepped on it again), so since the new guy I contacted wanted $300, I may just order all the CD stuff and do it myself.