Certifications, chartering, ASA/CYA and the Gulf Islands 2019

Macboy

Aug 8, 2014
Macgregor 26S Sherwood Park, Alberta
Yes.....2019. But the life I live, I need to plan for big things like this or it'll never happen. And it dictates what we do in terms of getting family accustomed to longer boat stays through next summer. And perhaps mods I decide to make in the next 20 months to try to make longer stays more comfortable. Here comes a novel of a post.....

This all started when I began looking into charter options out of Nanaimo BC. I saw the offerings and prices (and prerequisites in terms of certifications) and thought I better dig deeper into this so I'm prepared on the certification front. I was told by the charter company (who also run cert courses) that my CYA/Sail Canada certifications aren't really highly regarded in the charter community and that I should challenge the ASA basic level and switch to ASA certs so I can get the ICC. Of course they can help me with that.

Naturally I emailed a local CYA instructor to see if he offered the challenge and subsequent certifications and this was his response merged and edited as required:

"I am not sure who you spoke to but I don't have the same opinion. As you know, I am both an ASA and Sail Canada (formerly known as the CYA) instructor so I hope that gives some objectivity. The Sail Canada standards were taken from the Royal Yachting Assoc. - with a few changes and the ASA standards were taken from Sail Canada - with a few changes. My opinion is that the ASA courses are not as challenging and do not provide the same level of information as the Sail Canada courses.

I had a student who took the Sail Canada - Basic Cruising Standard last Summer and the Sail Canada Coastal Navigation course over the past Summer and then chartered a sail boat in Croatia in July. I have a friend in Israel, also a sailing instructor and their school scoffs at the ASA standards.

For example - in Canada we require anyone using a marine VHF radio to have a ROC-M license - not so in the USA. A water tight flash light and a boarding device is a basic required piece of safety equipment required in Canada - not so in the USA. Tide and current is discussed in the entry level cruising course - not so in with the ASA.

Sail Canada is currently seeking clearance from the Department of Transport to offer the ICC. It is also available through a few Sail Canada schools on the West Coast under the ITY, but I think that Sail Canada should have something in place by the Spring.

The ASA is pretty much dishing out the ICC, no exam etc. so, in my opinion the reason for the ICC is being undermined and the ASA may be challenged on their practices for doing so.

One other thing - your Sail Canada navigation certification is better suited for Canada anyway as more emphasis is placed on tide and current than the ASA coastal navigation course.

So that's my two cents worth."

That's the back story in its fullest anyway. The result of which got me looking up the Mac Rendezvous that take place out in the gulf islands each year and redirecting my thoughts and dreams to taking our Mac back to the salt water we bought her off of. Forget chartering. We have an able vessel that's been out there before, many times in fact. Thus is the plan at this point. (I think someone on here gave me that bit of advice a while back actually - I just stowed it prematurely.)

A few things / questions /advice:
- it looks like trailering the boat across to the island with four in the truck could be a $300 one-way ferry ride. Should I look for a launch on the mainland and wait for an early morning, calm weather day to cross the strait? What about vehicle/trailer parking? We bought the Mac out of Crescent Beach Marina but it's a good half of the day just to get out to the open water I think. At least to the jumping off point.

- Odds are we'd either be out in July for nine days with little flexibility or in early June for 14 days plus (with infinite flexibility). We could also perhaps head out in May. We don't need the sunny summer weather. It's beautiful out there even in April.

- Current amenities on our Mac:
Origo 2 burner alcohol stove, rail mount propane bbq, coolers are the 'refrigeration' but we have camped out of two of them for over a week and had excess on return - could do a better job of provision planning. Currently we have the portapotty on board but also carry doodie bags which are all that's ever been used to this point (by me - family hasn't had 'to go' yet because land was always near. Not sure who'd come out as the preferred loo. I think I'd be fine either way. Small detail in the broader picture in my opinion.

- What I think I'd need to add/mod:
Need to rig boom tent or enclosure of some sort - for rainy days, not for enclosed transits. I've been working on this a while now. I'll pursue it in a separate thread when life gives me the time to look further into my thoughts. Screened hatch covers. I'd like to add all those little racks like on the Holderness page and a few of Sum's mods. Would like to add a bow roller before this trip - currently have two anchor tubes up front and the plastic bucket for the rode. Maybe even run anchor rode back so I could haul from the cockpit until we hit chain. Is that silly to think?

- I'm assuming mostly mooring / docking with access to fuel/water/provisions at almost each stop so stowage space shouldn't be too hard on us. We'll know next summer how well we can manage the close quarters for multi day excursions. Anything else I should be thinking about as far as cruising a family of four on a small boat?

- First trip out would have to include an overnight dockside under the Empress "Castle" in Victoria for my girls. Would definitely have to plan a back door entrance to Butchart Gardens from the dinghy dock - so one night there too. Then we have family in Ganges (Salt Spring Island) we'd certainly want to spend a few days with. And I still remember my visit to Conover Cove - definitely want to take the family there. (No worries about the shallow/tight entrance on a swing keel Mac!) I'm really keen on Desolation Sound too. Perhaps 2020. Or maybe fall 2019 :)

Any other south gulf island musts? San Juans in the distant future. Loved Port Townsend and wife would love to go back to Friday Harbour (I haven't been).

Can the Mac do it? I mean I know it can.....but would we have a better experience on a chartered vessel with more headroom, better head facilities, and everything else that a Mac isn't? Would the experience be $5,000 better? We could go once every few years on a charter....we could darn near spend entire summers out there on the Mac. Wife is off in the summers and I can take my work wherever I go. Come to think about it, I think I recall a member on here from the same town I'm in doing exactly what I'm talking about here. But I think they were on an X. Would the headroom and bigger power plant make that much of a difference? I should see if I can connect with them.

Thanks for any input or aids to my dreams becoming real here. Kind of an odd post I know. Nothing like getting all the cards on the table right?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I have an ICC and I can tell you that is much harder then getting an ASA 101/102/104. Much harder.

The Canadian course might be better/harder, but in any case cannot be converted to an ICC because Canada did not sign UN/UNECE resolution 40. That's why ASA cannot either, and my ICC is through the RYA.

The thing that ASA gives you as an 'equivalent' is not an ICC at all, they call it an IPC (International Proficiency Certificate), but some charter companies are OK with that. Money talks. I wrote a lot more on my blog.

http://rarerarebird.blogspot.com/2017/03/getting-international-certificate-of.html

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Not really sure what you're asking here. If you want only to charter a sailboat for a week and explore the Gulf Islands leaving from Nanaimo heading southeast, then I question the need for a new "high-end" sailing certification when the charter company can give you a pass if their insurance says "OK." This may require approval of a sailing resume which, if you have experience on a similar-sized boat, should not be an issue. If you want to trailer/ferry your Mac and launch from Nanaimo, then you can do that as well. However, it's about 30 n.mi. across the Strait of Georgia to Nanaimo if you launch from the mainland side near Vancouver. If it were me, I'd study the relevant charts (chart book) and get a copy of Waggoner's Cruising Guide to the PNW (free download or buy from Amazon), plan out and then check out a couple of alternate routes, then come back with more specific questions.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Here are a few thoughts:

1. This is our solution to shade in port:
https://hunter.sailboatowners.com/mods.php?task=article&mid=16&aid=7416&mn=27_75-84
We made do with a tarp rigged over our boom with bungee cords until the canvas folks on this site made us a Bimini, and then, later, the custom canvas cover that zips onto the Bimini.

2. We have a portapotty permanently rigged to allow pump out through a deck fitting. Serving with a good oxygen provider (we use Odorlos) this solution gives us more usable capacity, and equivalent utility to a marine toilet, without the tiny seat, and the flushing system issues.

3. We have chartered a Catalina 30 twice out of Anacortes, into the San Juans and south Gulf Islands including a great stay in Victoria. Your Mac is easily capable of cruising those waters from Vancouver! Including the San Juans simply means working out immigration bureaucracy. We have Nexus cards which allow us to report into the USA with a phone call. That is the standard approach for all (with or without a Nexus card) entering Canada.

4. We have cruised with 4 adults for a week a number of times on Lake Erie, with the same equipment you have (we have a built in icebox, but your portable has better insulation.) Very doable! The only difference I see is our 6 feet of headroom in the cabin, and a little more room to store personal baggage (although we still bring too much after all these years!)

Go for it! You will quickly learn to navigate the waters of this wonderful cruising ground, and what additions and modification will best fit you and your crew. Meanwhile, you will be cruising one of the greatest cruising grounds in the world.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Victoria for my girls. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Butchart Gardens from the dinghy dock - so one night there too. Then we have family in Ganges >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Conover Cove>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I'm really keen on Desolation Sound too. Perhaps 2020. Or maybe fall 2019 :)

Any other south gulf island musts?
Victoria is a day's sail around from Butchart. Ganges is on the way. Conover Cove is usually full during the summer although I've seen folks tie up stern lines after anchoring north of the dock. If not, there's next door Princess Cove. Desolation Sound is another separate trip unless you spend the whole summer.

Look, where you put in and whether you cross the Strait of Georgia is really up to you, not us. l We only know you from your typing and very little about your sailing ability or your boat. A trip like that is the responsibility of the skipper. Know, however, that to get "inside" the Gulf Islands once you get across requires transiting a pass. You need to find and learn to use the current tables. And charts: things are not so close together here than one might think. STD calcs are critical, combined with the currents.

I've been here a year now, after sailing SF Bay for 45 years, just learning the area, but you have a good list. Add Saturna Island - Winter Cove, Thetis Island, and Montague Harbor.

If you have a boat you can handle and it works for you, why spend more $$$? Save that $$$ for you own next boat! :)

Good luck.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
- it looks like trailering the boat across to the island with four in the truck could be a $300 one-way ferry ride.
Did the ferry many times with our Mac. Crossing the strait adds a day each way when it's all said and done. The other advantage is having the truck at your disposal, if you want to do something else, like spending a day in Victoria or Nanaimo shopping, if it's raining or ugly. That equation becomes more of "what's your time worth"
As well, the strait can be very unpredictable, you might have to leave a day or two early and like Stu mentioned, you have to get through a pass. Active Pass is a little difficult if the flow is against you at 6 kts, and then a ferry (or three) shows up. That's not first time stuff.
If you worked out of some place like Ladysmith, you can get a transient slip and have a place to dump the truck and trailer. We used to work out of Van Isle, it was always fun being on the transient dock with our Mac and the looks we got from the socialites. :) The ramp has been removed and the parking area is now a fenced off storage yard, so the uppidy types must have complained.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
and rumour has it that they do not deliver pizza to the boat anymore in Telegraph :( but the coffee roaster place is still there and you can hop the ferry to Chemaus to see the painted buildings.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Active Pass is a little difficult if the flow is against you at 6 kts, and then a ferry (or three) shows up. That's not first time stuff
That's why it might be better to arrive Nanaimo if sailing over then proceed down through Dodd Narrows to the Gulf Islands. Anchor at Newcastle; then weigh to transit the Narrows at slack tide. Better than hanging out in the Strait waiting for the right time to enter Active Pass, etc. Same could be said of Porlier Pass. Experienced--perhaps; newbie--not advised.:sick:

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
That's why it might be better to arrive Nanaimo if sailing over then proceed down through Dodd Narrows to the Gulf Islands. Anchor at Newcastle; then weigh to transit the Narrows at slack tide. Better than hanging out in the Strait waiting for the right time to enter Active Pass, etc. Same could be said of Porlier Pass. Experienced--perhaps; newbie--not advised.:sick:
Even better, take the ferry to Duke Point (Tswassen-Nanaimo ferry), then drive south 15 minutes to the Ladysmith Public boat launch. From there you can avoid Dodds, be less than an hour under sail to Thetis, 3-4 hours under sail to Decourcey, 2 hours to Maple Bay, 4 hours to Genoa Bay, 4 hours to Montague. It would save you a ton of time on the water getting into the prime cruising ground. There is a nice big parking lot there as well where you can leave a vehicle and trailer. There are some nice little islands straight across the water and south east from the boat launch. You could be safely on the hook in a picturesque anchorage in less than 20 minutes after launching.

Macboy

Aug 8, 2014
Macgregor 26S Sherwood Park, Alberta
Thanks to everyone for wading through the novel - I could definitely have more specific questions singled out but with pans so far away I figured the thread could be a good "conversation" thread and it looks like it has.

Lurker - I wasn't able to find the public launch in Ladysmith. Do you know where it is? We have a good friend (past instructor) at the Maritime Society Marina there - I could possibly get a temporary slip for the head and tail of our trip. And the family would recognize it (we overnighted on our ex-club boat there two summers ago). More importantly I would recognize it and the departure route etc - I did my basic out of that marina with said instructor which is when I discovered Conover, Thetis (love the outdoor ping pong table), Montague etc. I was out in April and I swear I was in a different climate altogether. So, so beautiful out there.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Can the Mac do it?
Of course the Mac can do if its maintenance is up to date. The question should be "Do you have the knowledge to do it ?"

Watch the weather. The Strait is the Graveyard of the Pacific with high winds and steep waves with short periods when the weather is bad. During good weather, it's like a mill pond and you have to keep a watch for the many kayaks making the crossing. And watch out for the whales. They'll do far more damage to you if you run into one rather than the reverse. Making the passes in the Gulf Islands is dangerous if you don't know how to transit them. Done at the right time, they're 0 kts. Not so right, 7-8 kts.

If crossing from Vancouver, your first stop will be Silva Bay ( 20 nautical miles) and then plan your trip from there.

It's a big ocean if you're not used to it so be sure you have all of the charts for the area and a copy of the CHS Tide and Current Tables. It's the law under the Canadian Shipping Act 2001. Without them, you can't make the narrows.

"I am not sure who you spoke to but I don't have the same opinion. As you know, I am both an ASA and Sail Canada (formerly known as the CYA) instructor so I hope that gives some objectivity. My opinion is that the ASA courses are not as challenging and do not provide the same level of information as the Sail Canada courses.
If you do have thoughts of chartering, as far as certification goes, listen to your CYA/Sail Canada instructor. You can't charter a boat out of Vancouver with only ASA certification. Sail Canada is the minimum certification. ASA, for some reason, is only in the lower part of Vancouver Island.

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
[QUOTE="Lurker - I wasn't able to find the public launch in Ladysmith. Do you know where it is? .[/QUOTE]

It's right where Ladysmith Marine Services is located. 901 Ludlow Rd, Ladysmith, BC V9G 1A1 Google map the address and you'll see it's right beside your buddy's marina.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Ladysmith Fisherman’s Wharf. P.O. Box 130, Ladysmith, BC V9G 1A1; (250) 245-7511; lfwa@telus.net; www.ladysmithfishermanswharf.com.

Open all year, 1200 feet of dock space, 30 amp power, garbage drop, telephone, washrooms, showers, laundry services, waste oil disposal, trailer parking. Marine repairs, tidal grid and launch ramp.

Commercial fishing vessels have priority during the winter months. Stairs lead up the hill toward the town of Ladysmith, about
one-half mile away.

2017 Waggoner's p. 219