Help to identify Custom sailboat

Sep 25, 2017
Custom Custom Port Charlotte
Are you sure the hull is solid fiberglass? I would guess some plywood in there.
She is still a nice looking vessel.
Is this your first boat?
Yes sir. All fiberglass. Just finished in wood, for cosmetics.
Thanks for the "nice looking". :)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
That's what really surprised me. And that's why I thought there might be others like her.
How do you know its not cold molded? If you paint all the glass covering the wood, you might never know, unless you can tell by the design details.

Sep 25, 2017
Are you sure the hull is solid fiberglass? I would guess some plywood in there.
She is still a nice looking vessel.
Is this your first boat?
I know is strange for the custom boat to be all fiberglass, but this one is.
I have a small Escape sailboat with a single sail-main, but this one can be considered a truly first sailboat for me. I'm excited!!! :)

Sep 25, 2017
How do you know its not cold molded? If you paint all the glass covering the wood, you might never know, unless you can tell by the design details.
Very valid point. I have a survey from few years back, when it was originally discovered, and it states that is solid FRP (fiber reinforced plastic), with internal wood joiner work bonded to the hull with FRP tabbing.
The survey indicates that there are no HIN, no builder plaque and no identifying marks.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Your title should contain a HID number and it may provide a clue.

Sep 25, 2017
Your title should contain a HID number and it may provide a clue.
The boat was never registered. Unfortunately, no title or registration. It will be registered for the first time in FL.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Wow, with that transom and hard chine. Hard to image someone building a female mold for a one-off.
Some unconventional features for sure. That hard chine in the aft sections suggests either plate building or plywood. I'm not sure how you would attach a wooden transom to a FRP hull. Adhesive? The keel is like a pre-scheel bulb. And there looks like a balanced rudder in front of a skeg. Weird. I'm thinking a design built one off. Maybe home built or by a custom builder.

Sep 25, 2017
Shemandr, I think you are right on the money here. When I went through the entire boat, I was thinking that everything I see just makes sense. It is well thought through, designed and built. It feels like somebody enjoyed building it for him/her self or it was an order with some $$ behind it.
Now the question is - goes it sail? :)
I can't wait to put it on the water...

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
They did make all fiberglass Thunderbirds. And, there are (were) fiberglass motoryachts with wood transoms. So it could be solid glass, or it could be thin ply within a glass sandwich. Whatever it is, it's very nicely done and should serve him well.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Don't necessarily need a female mold, one can make up a male mold and layup a product called Seaflex and then do the various layers of woven roven and glass mat. Once the exterior is completed the whole mold is rolled over and the male mold is pulled out, then the stringer and bulk heads are added to the interior.
Seaflex.jpg

Sep 25, 2017
With all the brain behind this conversation:
Knowns:
1. That is one-off built.
2. It resembles to a T-Bird family
3. Most likely is done through male mold process.
4. It looks good. (No one stated otherwise) :)

Unknowns:
1. Maker
2. How is sails

Next steps:
I'll be updating you on how it goes with:
1. Inspection (custom/homebuilt requires inspection by FWC)
2. Registration
3. The important part - launch and sail. (Still need to get the motor lubed, mast raised, rigging ran, etc.)

Thank you all for your contribution to this discussion!

Aug 15, 2012
Precision 21 Newburyport MA
How about secondary marks that might give you an hint? How about the sails, any logo's or makers mark or numbers on the sail or sailbag tags? Other places to look, see who made the cushions, maybe take a picture and ask them if they have any records. At least that would give the vicinity of where it was made, because they probably came out and measured them. Last would be the cabinet work look for makers marks or notes inside the cabinets or under drawers.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
After all that work to create a fine looking boat, I'd wager that the builder signed it somewhere inconspicuous.

Sep 25, 2017
How about secondary marks that might give you an hint? How about the sails, any logo's or makers mark or numbers on the sail or sailbag tags? Other places to look, see who made the cushions, maybe take a picture and ask them if they have any records. At least that would give the vicinity of where it was made, because they probably came out and measured them. Last would be the cabinet work look for makers marks or notes inside the cabinets or under drawers.
Tom, thanks for the great ideas. I'm on it and will report later today.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
The sailmaker is a good idea. The maker of my sails actually remembered my boat when I called him about making a screecher. He remembered making a jib for the PO's camberspar.

Sep 25, 2017
One main sail had marks. However, it shows some wear and I think it came with this boat by mistake. Anyways, here are the pictures. :)
The remaining 2 sails are new and have absolutely no marks!

Attachments

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
That sail is probably from a Tanzer 21, it sure does look like a T-bird, I wouldn't worry about it too much, get it wet!