Sep 25, 2017
Custom Custom Port Charlotte
Hello members!

So it happened. I bought the sailboat!
All I know about this 21' sloop:
1. It came from California
2. No hull ID and no marks
3. Was build around 2004

Does anyone have any idea of who would make that boat or maybe what it was made based on.

Any ideas are welcomed. :)

Attachments

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I can't help with identifying but it looks great from the photos. Congratulations!

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
There's really no HID on it? Would be starboard side, top, on the outside of the transom, molded in. Otherwise, it may be a homebuilt.

Sep 25, 2017
Thanks guys! It is the homebuild. Nothing on the hull, starboard or transom.
I thought, even it is being the homemade one, there might be a cast form used. That why I wanted the community to take a look and see if it resembles to a known type.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
It looks a lot like a Thunderbird, but they were 26 feet, I believe. Perhaps someone wanted a trailerable boat with the same lines, so he shrunk it down to 21.

Sep 25, 2017
Capta, I looked at some pictures of the Thunderbird and it shows a resemblance. I like an idea that the design was taken as a guideline and mini version created. Wouldn't they still need a cast form Or would it just freestyling?
Thanks for the reference!!

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Ditto Capta; I had a T-Bird for 19 years, and this is certainly related. The interior could be a twin. I suspect this was built to a design similar.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Yea kinda looks like a T-bird, but then most glue-and-stitch plywood boats will.

Sep 25, 2017
Thanks Rick. It confirms what Capta was saying.
It is nice to know what was taken as a design idea for this homebuilt.

Sep 25, 2017
Jack, I forgot to mention that is all fiberglass boat. It has the woodwork, but as a decor.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Jack, I forgot to mention that is all fiberglass boat. It has the woodwork, but as a decor.
Wow, with that transom and hard chine. Hard to image someone building a female mold for a one-off.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2012
Precision 21 Newburyport MA
Is there any info on the paperwork you received with the boat? Anything mentioned in the title (even a couple of intitials that might help)? Do you know what the registration numbers were in California, maybe you can trace it that way? PO any help?

Sep 25, 2017
The most amazing thing is - she has never been in the water! Yes, it is the fact. I have checked the outboard and it is oil dry. Never registered.
It was stored for 12-13 years!

Sep 25, 2017
Wow, with that transom and hard chine. Hard to image someone building a female mold for a one-off.
That's what really surprised me. And that's why I thought there might be others like her.

Sep 25, 2017
The most amazing thing is - she has never been in the water! Yes, it is the fact. I have checked the outboard and it is oil dry. Never registered.
It was stored for 12-13 years!

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Are you sure the hull is solid fiberglass? I would guess some plywood in there.
She is still a nice looking vessel.
Is this your first boat?