Gel coat

Feb 1, 2010
Hunter 33.5 El Dorado Lake, Kansas
i have some hear line cracks I need to repair. I haven't been able to find a color on the Spectrum web site for my Hunter 33.5 1993. If you have a done this please share with me the wed site and color code. Spectrum will do it on a gallon only.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Just by luck I found a perfect colour match for a 1999 Hunter is ....................

100_2879R.jpg

I've had this in the fridge for about five years now and do a few spider cracks each spring until I get bored, which is becoming less and less each year. Repairs are invisible.

Feb 1, 2010
Thanks for the gel coat sheet. I see that they don't carry the color for my boat. The PO had made some repairs with the wrong gel coat on the port side that I need to repair too. I hope that one of our sailer friends out her has the right color code that will work for my boat.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Repairs are invisible.
The Admiral told me, we need a new boat!:yikes::yikes::yikes:
Worrying... Too big, too small, not safe, boring, new interior cabin????

I asked why...

The spider cracks. OMG! :banghead:

You just saved me bunches of $$$.
@Ralph Johnstone you are now my hero. Wish I could give you many Likes.:clap:

Is there a proper way to apply and NOT overdo it? Polish buffer to make prettier?
Best place to buy a can?

I hope the red stains on can are NOT blood from rubbing your hands to the bone.:cowbell:
Jim...

PS: That may get me my new mast head wind transducer.:pimp:
And you a free top New Orleans Chef Cajun meal if you come down to this area.
Mine is 1998 .. I hope it blends too!!!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Amos Cape
Not knowing the exact year of the boat, white gel has a tendenacy to yellow or change color over the years of exposure to sun. Even if you got the exact gel coat, it probably will not match. Suggest buying a small amount of gel along with color additives (pigments) and match that current color of white is on the boat.
Regarding pigments, only get the oil based, not water base and they are sold individually at West Marine. You will also need to order the correct hardner as gel coat takes a higher temp hardner vs the standard in a store. With all that, there is one other thing you need to know that when applying gel coat with hardner, The exterior will not dry so one of two things must happen, either cover with wax paper or somethin along that line or the easiest way and I forget the exact name for the solution to add but essentially it will come to the surface and put a cover over the gel coat allowing it to dry.
Folks help me here on that name.
You may have to pay a higher fee for shipping as gel coat is considered a hazardous material along with resin/harderner.

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
There is a surfacer additive (styrene and wax). You can also spray on PVA which washes off with water. These things block air from surface of the material because air exposure does not allow the material to cure - wax paper does the same thing.

Boatworks Today has several videos on gelcoat repair and color matching. They are very good step by step lessons on this very thing.

Charles

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2010
Thanks for all the advice; this will make the process much easier. It looks like I will soon be playing with some Gel Coat to get the right color for my Hunter 33.5 1993

Jan 4, 2006
Folks help me here on that name.
The gel coat is referred to as "waxed" as shown on the can above. It hardens in air, without a covering as the wax goes to the surface and protects against air. Same applies to polyester resin.

white gel has a tendenacy to yellow or change color over the years of exposure to sun.
And I know what you're saying about gel coats fading. They chalk, they fade, they DO NOT keep their original appearance :snooty:. All I can say is that the gel coat on a 1999 Hunter 310 keeps its original colour. Maybe it's because I remove the chalkiness each year with Meguiars Color Restorer. Maybe the gel coat is almost gone as well.

Have any other readers used pure white gel coat for blemish repairs on their Hunter (of a 1999 vintage) and had a perfect colour match as I have ? ? ? I AM NOT blessed ...... I've learned that much by this age.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I never saw that colour of red gel at Steveston. Where did you get it? :)

Jan 4, 2006
I never saw that colour of red gel at Steveston.
It's from the blood, sweat, and tears I put into all my projects :eek:.

Actually, if the gel sits in the fridge over the winter, that red liquid floats to the surface. Once it's mixed in, the gel coat is as white as snow . Go figure.

Aug 16, 2016
Pacific Dolphin 24 Phoenix, Arizona
Jamestown Distributors has quarts of colored gel coats in most popular colors. They match the Awlgrip color pallet. A few drops of tint may be required to get an exact match.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I thought I would up date this older thread to provide some new input.
Many people note on older boat that they see ...

Gel Coat Stress Cracks [aka Spider Cracks]

This are normally seen where steep curves in Gel Coat occur.
Examples of a Before in my pict library...
GelCoatStressCracks.jpg

LadderSCracks.jpg

Due to unfortunate damage to our boat, we have time, on the Hard, to have professionals remove the UGLY cracks.
But @Ralph Johnstone post #7 and it's links shows how professional Ralph is.

Just like our professionals are doing !!

StbLazPrep.jpg

Grinding out the GC cracks with a Dremel type grinder.:)

Then adding a filling compound, that I will find out the type and update.

GCFiller.jpg

Zoom in to see the now filled GC Cracks.
_____
They ordered matching Gel coats [Blue and White] which I will up date the Hunter's chart above by Spectrum.
I will talk to the pro's today and get their full procedures for the DIY's here on the Forum.

Jim...

PS: The Yard is providing the professional labor. We are watching the progress and these Pictures are by the Yard.:biggrin:

Dec 29, 2012
Hunter 37 Jacksonville
I found that the 'white' was pretty close for my Hunter. But probably from age I needed to add some black to the white. It was the tiniest amount. As in just swirling the stirring stick just barely into some black color. Another great hint was to mix the color and then apply the gel coat before you put in the hardener. It's a lot easier to see the match against your boat surface rather than in a cup. Even doing a progress drop for each time you added some color. The gel coat without hardener will wipe off.

• Helpful
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
This is the best color matching site for Gel Coats, not just HUNTER...
Welcome to Spectrum Color - The Worlds Leader in Specialty Gel Coat Products

But instead of a part number for out boat... [see color chart in post #2 above]

White = Spectrum #8453

Now order by year date range used by Hunter OEM

HUNTER 96-07
_____
or our Blue

Blue = Spectrum #LG-21178W
Blue HUNTER 96-04

New products , like spray on Gel Coats too..

Plus White Gel Coats rarely Fades, but the shiny surfaces sometimes Chalks up on the Surface.
That appears to be a Color change, but it is surface reflection.

Darker Colors can Fade more.

Jim... [aka made Pigments for Coatings 20 years]

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
The Admiral told me, we need a new boat!:yikes::yikes::yikes:
Worrying... Too big, too small, not safe, boring, new interior cabin????

I asked why...

The spider cracks. OMG! :banghead:

You just saved me bunches of $$$.
@Ralph Johnstone you are now my hero. Wish I could give you many Likes.:clap:

Is there a proper way to apply and NOT overdo it? Polish buffer to make prettier?
Best place to buy a can?

I hope the red stains on can are NOT blood from rubbing your hands to the bone.:cowbell:
Jim...

PS: That may get me my new mast head wind transducer.:pimp:
And you a free top New Orleans Chef Cajun meal if you come down to this area.
Mine is 1998 .. I hope it blends too!!!
Wish my Admiral thought we needed a new boat!

Greg