Need help understanding Bilge setup in '71 Cal 25

Sep 12, 2017
Cal Sailboat Cal 25 Lake Jacomo (next year)
I've not found much previous online regarding my question... This has 3 through-hulls on each side of boat, one along the top of the fixed keel (facing out), and the other 2 up higher on the bottom of the body (facing down), but all UNDER the water line. As I've removed the old bilge pump and purchased a new one, I'm not sure exactly how this system of hoses and big red plastic jug works, especially with the through-hulls under water line. Is this what people refer to as a 'Loop' system?

Also, in trying to find where the hoses all go, one of them goes directly side-ways and under the wood floor (i'm assuming to the through-hull in the side of the keel). Not sure how I would even get to that to check it or replace the hose without removing the floor. I would assume that the hoses and fittings would be good to replace since they are relatively cheap and easy to replace. But I'm not sure on that 'easy' part.

(also, I realize that there is extensive water damage in the floor of the cabin, as there was standing water in here for at least a year -- it was trailered on land, cabin door broken, rain had filled it up about a foot. Although it didn't leak out, so perhaps that a good sign??? haha. Not sure if I HAVE to remove all of the water damage, or if I can get by with sanding and sealing it up as best as possible)

My experienced sailing friend suggested us getting the sailboat in the water soon before the season is up (we are in Kansas City) just to see if she takes on any water, etc. figured it wouldn't hurt to get it off the trailer for 30 min or so and replace the jack-stand pads and carpet.
Any general thoughts on my situation? I THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ANY ADVICE OR WISDOM.

-- through-hulls under water line -- bilge pump system / loop system -- water damage --

- Nick

IMG_0550.jpg
IMG_0552.jpg
IMG_0551.jpg

Sep 12, 2017
Yeah, thanks for the link. Sadly, it's just basic with the general boat details. Doesn't include anything about bilge or through-hull types or locations.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sometimes info is limited. You have to make up the solutions rather than getting the answers.

Trace the various pipes. Perhaps you can pump water or air into the boat. If you open then close tha valve you might get an answer to which pipe is under water.

My bilge comes out above the water line not below.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Have you visised the Cal 25 Owners Association website? CAL25

Bilge pump hoses should exit above the water line.

Some thoughts. The head can have 3 three through hulls, a sink drain, head intake, and head outflow. The head outflow should be fairly large, 1.5".

The galley sink will have a drain and through hull.

There are 2 cockpit scuppers that probably drain below the waterline.

An old solution to draining water from the ice box was to drain it into the bilge or into jug in the bilge. The hose going into the jug could be for that.

Sep 12, 2017
Thanks, Dave. I actually hadn't found the Cal25.org site yet. It has lots of good info. I also appreciate your other thoughts, however, I admit, I need to look up a few of the words you are using! I will get into that and let you know.

It "seems" like a through-hull could be easily added and a hose run from the bilge up to it above the waterline, however it wouldn't probably look great on the inside. And it doesn't help me understand why the configuration is how it is now. Seems like this is original setup, probably not something done years later.

Anyway, thanks again.

- Nick

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Thanks, Dave. I actually hadn't found the Cal25.org site yet. It has lots of good info. I also appreciate your other thoughts, however, I admit, I need to look up a few of the words you are using! I will get into that and let you know.

It "seems" like a through-hull could be easily added and a hose run from the bilge up to it above the waterline, however it wouldn't probably look great on the inside. And it doesn't help me understand why the configuration is how it is now. Seems like this is original setup, probably not something done years later.

Anyway, thanks again.

- Nick
You may have noticed from the Cal25.org site that there is a very active fleet (or at least there used to be) out here in Southern California, at the Alamitos Bay Yacht Club. Maybe you could somehow get in touch with those folks. I know that some of them have done some keel stiffening mods that have involved some serious poking around in the bilge and so they may be a good resource for you.

Oct 22, 2014
Nick. It is not true that adding a through hull is easy. Think "a through hull is a way your boat can use to sink itself".
Through hulls are important tools to get water in or out of the boat. I think, fewer holes are better.
If you are trying to put water out above the water line from a space below the waterline then you must pump it. Either by electric powered or hand powered pumps.
Best course is to clearly understand the existing hoses, through holes and pumps before making changes. Dialogue with other 25 owners about the systems before deciding to drill a hole. Holes can be repaired but a lot harder to do than to drill the hole.
Here is a link to drilling through hulls.
https://marinehowto.com/installing-a-seacock-in-a-new-location/

Sep 12, 2017
Yeah, John, I'm definitely going to figure it out before I do anything drastic, just thinking out loud. I think it's funny and strange that I've yet to find anyone who has seen a bilge pump through-hull below the water-line. Perhaps after the mid-70's something changed and all are above the water-line now.
Another sailor was quoted referring to the original owner's manual for his sailboat... He humorously summarized it... "This is a sailboat, it has a mast; don't drill holes in the bottom when it's in the water." I'm hoping to find a thorough book, entitled, "The Cal 25 - Complete Book of Rehab and how to fix it!" Otherwise, I'm gonna have to figure it out myself, and that might be scary.

Oct 22, 2014
Welcome to the scary world of CAL boats. I embraced it. You can too.