Cut up hull pictures for reference

Apr 17, 2011
Catalina 22 #7230 Iowa City, Iowa
I purchased a different trailer for my 1977 last year and when I went to pick it up the owner had this 1974 Cat 22 hull in pieces that he could then place in a dumpster. I took the opportunity to get some quick pics for future reference on the build of our Cats. Please note the flotation foam in this hull appears to have been installed as in mine with the same plywood bulkhead longitudinally in the port locker- loosely screwed in place and the angled bulkhead to the starboard of the volcano holding back the foam. This boat spent its last years in WS.
Anyway I hope these are assistance- I had posted a few in another topic.
Scot
IMG_1637.JPG
IMG_1638.JPG
IMG_1641.JPG
IMG_1642.JPG
IMG_1644.JPG
IMG_1646.JPG
IMG_1647.JPG
IMG_1648.JPG
IMG_1649.JPG
IMG_1651.JPG

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Fantastic Photos of an original design C22 !

Transom has coring.
Foam under cockpit sole.
Plywood in the cockpit sole.

Can't see any wood used in the hull along the keel, so I'm not sure where the wood coring in the hull was, that some supposedly had.
Evidence of fiberglass filler beside the trunk though.

I don't believe the New design has the foam from what I've seen so far in my refit.

Can someone cut their new design up so we can have reference photos of one of those ? :D

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Lafayette, IN
These pictures are great! Has anyone ever seen drawings with fairly detailed dimensions of a C-22? It sure would be nice to have some dimensions or a scale drawing instead of going out to the boat all the time to measure things. My boat is stored at the lake 20 miles away and it would be nice to have a rough idea of some of the more detailed dimensions as I ponder modifications. Has anyone ever seen a list/scaled drawing set for a C-22?
Thanks
Mike

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I keep seeing blueprints and drawings out there for portions of the 25 and 27 but not for the 22

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
These pictures are great! Has anyone ever seen drawings with fairly detailed dimensions of a C-22? It sure would be nice to have some dimensions or a scale drawing instead of going out to the boat all the time to measure things. My boat is stored at the lake 20 miles away and it would be nice to have a rough idea of some of the more detailed dimensions as I ponder modifications. Has anyone ever seen a list/scaled drawing set for a C-22?
Thanks
Mike
Very nice picture indeed.

I am also on the prowl for design dimension drawings and deck layouts. My boat did not come fitted with a stern railing or side lifeline stanchions/railing poles. So I have been trying to figure out best location for stanchion bases by just "googling" C22 images and guesstimating locations along the deck sides based on relative position to the windows or coach roof structure.

My boat also has no bulkheads and the only salvageable wood was the shelf rails which I have managed to sand back to clean wood and lovingly varnished with some marine wood sealer... the rest really badly rotted or really badly damaged. Teak is horribly expensive here by me to the point of using other "cheaper" more sustainable wood. So I would love to get drawing with dimensions of the pieces of wood and bulkheads to re-manufacture them.

Still got a hell of a work list ahead of me though so internal wood work is going to be an ongoing project.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
So I would love to get drawing with dimensions of the pieces of wood and bulkheads to re-manufacture them.
The best option is to get someone to trace the outline of the older model bulkheads on paper and mail the templates.
Another option might be to try contact the owner of that C22 at the Theewater club, and trace his.

Making your own bulkheads from scratch is obviously possible. I made a full height one for the port side of my New Style, and an additional one for my galley modification. In both cases I used large pieces of cardboard to make the templates. Tedious due to the multiple steps involved, but easily done.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
One word of Caution; When cutting fiberglass, please wear eye protection, hats, gloves, long sleeved shirts and pants, etc. as shards of the fiberglass will fly about. Once at the Hunter plant with an old boat, everyone stood around figuring the best way to cut the hull open. I asked the Hunter owner, Warren Luhrs, to come out and said I have a solution as he was in need of a good laugh. Took out my chainsaw turning it on and went to town. The funniest thing was watching everyone scatter to the four corners of the earth. Warren bent over laughing so hard. He did like my home made peach brandy as well as Frank Butler.