New Member introducing myself

Jul 26, 2017
MacGregor Venture of Newport 23 Aldie, Virginia. Chesapeake Ba
Hello, It's great to see a forum of MacGregor owners. Thank you for being here. My name is Bud, forum name Kayakeur, live in Virginia.
I just acquired a 1970's Venture 23. Yay! Her hull & deck are sound, seems like nice thick fiberglas. She has good rigging and decent sails and an unseen mystery box of 'stuff'. She needs work but the hull and deck are sound. It all seems very do-able with the caveat that the devil is in the details. She needs all lines, some deck hardware, a rudder, single-hand setup, needs everything electrical, everything interior, and a possibly over-zealous list of things, all of which I would like to find used.
I just retired and plan week-long trips, some solo, some with a friend, on as much cheap as possible. My experience is: I have owned 3 monohull day sailers and a Hobie 16, and I restored a wooden Lightning. I've crewed a little on a 33' and 37'. I'm rusty with wind power but figure it's like bicycling. I like anything that floats. I know enough to embarrass myself and that on board is always better than off board. Lots of experience in canoes and whitewater kayaks and sea kayaks. So, this is the adventure beginning. I hope to contribute anything I can.
Aye, Cheers,
Bud aka Kayakeur July 2017

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Good to have you here :):).

Are you going to be looking for a rudder or will you make one? Here is a link to one that was made but for a little larger Mac 26D...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor-other-people/other-people-mods-1.html

Also Rudder Craft has high performance rudders for some Mac's. I see one for the 22 ....

https://ruddercraft.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=181_43

... not sure if it would work for you or not. We have one on our S and really like it, but I never used the stock one. They are pricey, but worth it if you plan on keeping the boat.

Have fun with the boat,

Sumner
=========================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Apr 25, 2008
Macgregor 25 Cabrillo Marina (San Pedro)Ca
Welcome aboard, were will you do most of your sailing, we are open ocean (pacific to be exact)

Jul 26, 2017
I'm looking for a used rudder. RudderCraft prices, $500 and $900 are beyond affordability.
Building one will use up a lot of sailing time. Despite your good instructions and photos that will be a last resort, as it will be quite a complex piece as a first project. When I rebuilt a wooden Lightning, pieces I had to make I had an old broken or rotten one to use as a template and they were simpler, and my workspace is . . . well, I sure hope I can find a used one!
Good to have you here :):).

Are you going to be looking for a rudder or will you make one? Here is a link to one that was made but for a little larger Mac 26D...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor-other-people/other-people-mods-1.html

Also Rudder Craft has high performance rudders for some Mac's. I see one for the 22 ....

https://ruddercraft.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=181_43

... not sure if it would work for you or not. We have one on our S and really like it, but I never used the stock one. They are pricey, but worth it if you plan on keeping the boat.

Have fun with the boat,

Sumner
=========================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas
Welcome aboard, were will you do most of your sailing, we are open ocean (pacific to be exact)

Jul 26, 2017
Where to sail . . .?
Places I can sail and find secluded areas to overnight anchor, putter along shores for their beauty & wildlife, sightsee islands & shores yet still have miles of open water.
There must be good books that discuss inland sailing waters: Does anyone have book recommendations? Personal likes? (I live in Virginia).
East of Rocky Mountains this year, 2017, e.g. inland lakes such as Finger Lakes and Lake George in upstate NY, Chesapeake Bay in Maryland/Virginia. Minnesota/Wisconsin Land Of Lakes.
Not in 2017: Great Lakes but I have heard some of them kick up nasty conditions quickly.
Penobscot Bay, ME: in warm seasons; don't want cold and big weather and fog all at once.
West of Rockies -:
Inland Passage / Juan de Fuca looks fantastic in pictures and charts but not 2017 because it's the left side of the continent. I'm in Virginia
Looking for gutsy SUV to replace Honda Odyssey I think isn't up to it. Looking for SUV long enough to outfit interior as campable 'RV' for other travel, like Toyota 4Runner, Honda Something.

Jun 24, 2010
Macgregor 25 Northeast, MD
Lake Champlain is also a great place to sail if you are up that way. Welcome aboard.