Overnight Sailing Questions

Jul 24, 2017
Catalina 30 Toledo
Greetings all and thank you for taking time to read my first post. I have always loved sailboats and took a class last summer here on Lake Erie. My plan is to purchase a Rebel 16 as a learning boat and get really comfortable with what i'm doing. I guess the ultimate goal for me is to one day purchase a used Catalina 36 as I love layout and pricing.

I plan on doing overnight sails where I could do some scuba diving off of it and I have a few questions:

1. Is there a way to get at least a couple marine batteries for the boat to power some things?
a. Is propane an option as well?

2. Is it possible to add a swim platform/deck on the back of the boat or is a ladder the only way to go?

Sorry if these questions seem very basic, I'm just new and trying to figure out what my options are and how to accommodate certain things. Thanks!

Nov 18, 2013
Catalina 310 Campbell River
Too answer your questions:
1: Most larger boats have 2-4 batteries that will last 3-4 days with out charging and some will have solar panels to charge the batteries.
Propane is used for cooking/bbq and heating if propane heater installed.
2: If you want a Catalina look at the 36 MKII,34,320,310 all have a platform.
As for overnight sailing are you planning on sailing at night or find a spot and anchor over night?

Jul 24, 2017
Catalina 30 Toledo
Thanks for the reply! I will definitely check out those models you listed.
I'd say for the most part anchor over night.

Will those batteries run the larger appliances and outlets?
I imagine there is an inverter already installed?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Your post is a little unclear. Do you want to sail over night on the Rebel? Or are you asking about the options on a larger boat like the Catalina?

You are on the right track about sailing a small boat, a couple of seasons on a sailing dinghy will teach you more about sailing than a few years on a larger boat. Once you start sailing, get to know others, read, and learn. What you want today may be different from what you want in few years.

Jul 24, 2017
Catalina 30 Toledo
Sorry, my questions are referring to the large Catalina I have in mind.
Yes, I am already making friends at the local sailing club and am really getting excited.

The MK II's are little our of my price range. How hard is it to add a swim deck to the back of a normal Catalina 36 or similar sized boat?

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Rebel 16 will have few amenities. As for the Catalina 36 there is an endless list of things that may be onboard, then again there are some with very few installed accessories. So for the Catalina, the answer to all 3 questions is yes.

You mentioned inverters. We have one and rarely (almost never) use it. Remember with an inverter if you are using say 5 amps of 120VAC power, you are pulling nearly 60 amps from the batteries. 12 volt appliances make way more sense in most cases. We use a stove and have no microwave oven. For us a diesel furnace is a must, Shore power is a must, You may want AC in your area.

Ken

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
I would advise being obsessive in browsing and following this forum! It's been an amazing source of information and insight from some amazing people with limitless experience and knowledge, who are more than willing to help anyone who has the audacity to log on and ask a question! I browse backward looking for topics that sound interesting, and try to also check new posts on a regular basis.
My wife and I started sailing after a relocation to the southern Puget Sound, and immediately fell in love with it. We started in a sailing club where we paid monthly dues and had access to a small fleet of sailboats without having to actually own one. We are now on our second boat as owners, and still loving it and learning something every time we go out. I don't have time for the electronic toys that would require an inverter and drain batteries, I'm too busy trying to stay up to date with knowing my boat's systems and keeping track of what's going on during our overnight trips (and planning the next one). We alternate nights between marinas (with shore power, to recharge our batteries... and showers!) and spending nights at a mooring buoy or anchor. I take a laptop with chartplotting/navigational software and charts to review plans and make new ones. And have just recently bought a USB socket charger to keep phones charged if we start draining them too quickly by checking weather or currents to accommodate changing plans.
As for AC in your area? As someone who grew up in Ashtabula... the last time I remember being on the shores of Lake Erie in mid summer, I thought that I was underdressed!
Keep reading!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
First, electrical systems are an important part of any cruising sailboat. I suggest you add this book to your sailing library:

Second, there are a plethora of ready made transom platform boarding ladders. I'm sure you can find one to fit any boat you purchase. You can also place you dinghy in the water next to the boat as a staging platform for your equipment... Try searching: "transom platforms for boats"

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
I would not buy a boat, then make a major modification to the hull. That's likely to drop its resale value, and change its sailing characteristics. Instead, find a boat with a swim platform - there are plenty, and Catalina is not the only maker. (Don't get me wrong, I really like Catalinas, but you really want a swim platform for your diving.)

We anchor out often on Lake Erie, especially in the islands north of Sandusky. To anchor out, you want to be downwind of a shore to protect you from the waves. And a WindScoop (available at West Marine) over your forward hatch will keep cool, fresh air flowing from the water surface through the cabin on most summer nights.

I think most 36 footers will already have propane (and the safety system to protect you from leaks in the cabin) installed. A propane barbecue on the stern rail using bottled propane can easily be added to any boat.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@The Mariner
In response to your question about platform for the Catalina 36 MK II, suggest you call the facilty or plant in Florida and talk with their sales department. In fact direct that question to Gerry Douglas who designed that boat. I hope this helps you. One other thing, there is a company called Catalina Direct in CA but owned by others not affiliated with Catalina Yachts.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I get the feeling you are wondering if you can carry and operate a compressor on this boat to refill your tanks. You would need a huge battery bank to go with an inverter or a generator to accomplish this. There are 12 volt 'hooka' rigs called deck snorkels which you can use to go down 30 feet, but no farther. Looking them up on the web, you will find their power consumption ratings and could possibly set yourself up for that.
Best is to carry the tanks you intend to use on the trip and not mess about with a compressor on a small boat like that.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Mariner --- welcome to the SBO forum, especially to a fellow Great Lakes sailor. I've got one of those Catalina 36 Mk II and it is generally acknowledged to be the prettiest boat on Lake Huron (at least to my face, when I'm buying the beer) ;). The C36 is a wonderful boat for couples or small group cruising, while being easy to single-hand. It is a very comfortable cruising boat with full galley, head (a tiny holding tank of only 14 gallons, so long weekend), 12-volt electric good for at least a weekend if you're careful, and six comfortable bunks.

As you note, the older Mark 1 did not have a swim platform (pre-1986), but the transitional years (say 1988 to 1990 models) had some walkthrough sterns. If that vintage is necessary for the proper purchase price, you may have a problem because other brands of the same vintage were also flat-backed. One aspect of adding an after-market swim platform, per @Joe above, is that if permanently mounted it may increase the length of your boat. We pay dockage, storage, etc. by the foot, so a removable or temporary stand may be a better financial deal. The good news for you is that Great Lakes boats hold their value because of the fresh water and only being used 50% of the time. I see that you've already made a profile as owning a C30, so that may be confusing for some.

If you've not already found it, the C36/375 has a dedicated forum as well at https://www.catalina36.org/ as do the other models of Catalina, but truthfully they are not as active as this forum.

Last edited: