looking for advice

Jul 26, 2017
any any cocoa beach
I am looking for a sailboat between 28 and 35 feet to live aboard and do some coastal cruising to the Bahamas from time to time. I do not have a preference on a brand of boat because I also have never sailed before. I have a budget of <20k so I know I am looking at older boats and ones that might need a bit of work. that being said, I need advice on brands to keep an eye out for and brands to shy away from. I like the layout of the Hunter 33 and the simplicity of the Catalina 30, but i really like the Morgan out island and Coronado 35 as they are aft cabin boats and would appear to be great for living aboard and rougher water sailing. I have been cruising the sailboatlistings.com looking at many boats and getting an idea of what I think i might like but to be honest because I have never been on a sailboat under sail I really have no idea what i should be looking for. I would be sailing solo for most of my trips so ease of use is big and I would like to get some idea as to what kind of gear I should be looking for when I start really looking at boats.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Start with some experience. I think spending money now is too soon. Hang out at a marina and bum a ride (more easily done during races).

Other options: pay for sailing lessons.
Or buy a small inexpensive boat to learn on and work with it for a while (That's what I did and made the transition to a larger boat, then another.) When you want to upgrade you will have a much better idea of what you want and the skills required to make it work. It may also keep you and others around you alive.

Also, read. Go to the library and learn techniques, then try them out on that small boat.

Please don't be discouraged, but many times I've seen this question and it would be too easy to lose a lot of hard earned money on such an endeavor. You can do this. Sailing isn't that hear to learn, but you want to learn inexpensively and safely.

Ken

Jul 26, 2017
any any cocoa beach
i guess I should have also posted I am probably 3-4 years away from buying a boat. I actually have a sailing lesson in 2 weeks in titusville,fl. I am also going to be on a boat with my brother in north carolina next month as he has some experience on a sail boat. thankyou for the reply and I am always open to ideas on how to make my dream become a reality in the safest way possible.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
In the words of Richard Bode, "First you have to row a little boat"...
Of course he also said..
"For the truth is that I already know as much about my fate as I need to know. The day will come when I will die. So the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my allotted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze.”

dj

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Robert, you question is a common one. There are many who dream about living aboard and cruising. Some do. Here's a YouTube video series, Sailing Nervous, it is worth watching from the beginning. (1) Sailing Nervous - YouTube

Besides learning as much about the care and feeding of a vintage boat, the best thing to do is buy a small ~17' sailboat of any kind and start sailing. Don't spend a lot of money, just get a boat and get out there sailing.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Robert, I live in New Smyrna and have a Hunter 30 C. It's been through a complete refit and needs crew.
My schedule is simple... Every day is Saturday, so I'm always available.
If you're interested in sailing on a boat of the size you have interest, send me a Private Message through this site.
Regards,
G.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Robert, I live in New Smyrna and have a Hunter 30 C. It's been through a complete refit and needs crew.
My schedule is simple... Every day is Saturday, so I'm always available.
If you're interested in sailing on a boat of the size you have interest, send me a Private Message through this site.
Regards,
G.
There is a great answer.

Ken

Jul 26, 2017
any any cocoa beach
Thanks for all the help. I have been following sailing nervous on YouTube as well as wicked salty, sailing uma,and s/v delos. I also have been trying to memorize sailing basics from various YouTube channels so I can have some idea of what I'm doing when I finally get to go out on a boat for the first time.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Thanks for all the help. I have been following sailing nervous on YouTube as well as wicked salty, sailing uma,and s/v delos. I also have been trying to memorize sailing basics from various YouTube channels so I can have some idea of what I'm doing when I finally get to go out on a boat for the first time.
Nothing like actual experience. I can watch videos all day and night on how to fly a plane but.....

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
ggrizzard has made you a tremendous offer. Take advantage of it. You won't regret it.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I think if you have a desire to do it, then do it. Live life to the fullest. Be smart, read, Make mistakes and learn and enjoy life before you can't anymore. Big boat, small boat....... buy What you want to fufill yourself. Secret.... we are all going to die some day and wouldn't it suck if you spent to much time learning on a 10 footer...... people said the same stuff to forest gump before he bought his shrimp boat and look how that turned out.

Don't discount Pearson....: great boats, the mid 80's till 90's great comfortable cruising boats.

Good luck!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
people said the same stuff to forest gump before he bought his shrimp boat and look how that turned out
Forrest Gump had a good writer. :biggrin:

As to NYSail's other points, yes, don't limit yourself to one brand, at least not at this point. A good resource is Good Old Boats magazine. And don't wait until you feel 100% competent at sailing. If you do wait, you'll be worm food long before you go sailing.

As for sailing your own small boat while you build your cruising kitty and learn about boats, there is no better way to learn the basics of sailing than in a small boat. Small boats are more sensitive to sail trim, weight, wind, current than bigger boats. Owning your own small boat will allow you to sail when you want and not depend on someone else's generosity. Another approach to building skills is to crew on a race boat. Doesn't need to be fancy, join a club and get on a boat. The more time you spend sailing on different boats, big and small, the better prepared you will be when you finally nervously untie the lines for your adventure.

Boat brands to consider beyond the ones you mentioned are C & C, Sabre (admittedly biased here), Pearson, Islander, and Tartan.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
We don't know your motivations or reasons. Do what you must and what you can and enjoy. Just be smart and live life. The rest will take care of itself

Jul 26, 2017
any any cocoa beach
I appreciate all your input. I have a sailing lesson next week and hopefully many more before I get my boat. My sole motivation for wanting to live aboard is to get away from Orlando, it's way too crowded, and I love the ocean.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
I'd add to the short list the old sloop rig seafarer 30, 31 and 36. designed by mc curdy and rhodes, very solidly built, made in NY . and often available at very reasonable prices.