Cruising the Pacific Coast.

Jul 26, 2017
Aquarius 23 Ketch None
Hi all. Just joined the forum. Ive had bigger boats. Twin screw boats too but now I want simplicity and ease.....cheaper too but small boats with shallow draft open up a lot more possibilities...like going up rivers and trailer sailing reservoirs and lakes. Im picking up my Southwind Sails 20 foot yawl. Shes a tubby boat but I want that. Shell carry my stuff and wont lose much sailing performance. She draws 2 feet with a long shoal keel and that combined with a traditional hull spells windward performance will suffer and thats too deep anyway so, off with the keel and install a daggerboard with a lead bulb and a high aspect ratio rudder. Now shell go a lil bit better to weather. Gonna install a small diesel too. Im looking to cruise the Pacific coast and rivers. All my sailing has been on the east coast and New England...Buzzards Bay and the area. Does anyone have any info on cruising the coast? I know nothing so, anything will help. Thx.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Im looking to cruise the Pacific coast and rivers
So Capt... Pacific Coast (within the United States boundries) is 1041 nm long from Mexico to Vancouver Canada not counting the rivers. Are you thinking just So Cal or are you thinking a real adventure all the way up here to the Pacific NW.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Consider your budget, after all the costly modifications that you are proposing, you will still end up with a 20' LOA boat that may only be suitable for protected waters.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
end up with a 20' LOA boat that may only be suitable for protected waters.
That really is the challenge that has engaged boat designers for years... Build a boat that can be used by one person, sailed in protected shallow waters yet take the owner to new and interesting places across seas.
Perhaps the trimaran is the closest to being able to accomplish this challenge. Shallow drafted yet stable and with a fair amount of speed. Not my choice as the cabins are a bit small but with every boat there pluses and minuses.