Mainsheet Readers

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
i was hoping I could get some constructive feedback on my article on battery fusing. Next up is networking 102. If you want something covered let me know. If you hated it I'd also like to hear from you

Thanks
Les

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
street creds please. Not trying to be a jerk but this is the first time I've seen you post. I'd like to know why I would want to take your advice over, say MS or the guys that have published books on boat electrical stuff.
This falls under my rule of "check the fruit on the tree". Don't try to get apples from a grape vine. Not that that is the grape vine's fault just not what you get from grape vines.

May 20, 2016
Bill you absolutely don't need to read any thing I've written and I would strongly recommend you follow MS advice over mine. I see you have about 10 times the posts I have but only half as many likes - maybe because of you abrasive and combative language.

Not everyone in the sailing world monitors this or the many forums MS contributes to. I think adding to the knowledge base and making our sport safer is a good thing.

If you have something constructive to say I'll listen. I'll be the first to admit I don't have all the answers. Somehow I get the impression you don't get the international magazine the article was published in so don't have a clue if it was good or bad. My bio was published there and I don't feel like I need to repeat it here.

I get to publish 4 times a year and want to help folks increase the technical knowledge specifically on Catalina MK1's. If that is applicable to other models so much thee better.

Les

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Not trying to be a jerk but this is the first time I've seen you post.
But, Bill, re-read what you wrote. Les has been around here for quite some time. Long enough, indeed, for me to get to "know him" here and eventually meet him in person. Nice guy. Bill, play nice, please.

Les, I haven't received my copy yet.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 320 Bristol, RI
Bill,
I see you're from "Harrington Harbor North."
Or is it Herrington Harbour North?
Call me a stickler, but I've always been told that accuracy counts.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Les,

Just got my copy. Superb article. Nice to see that your C36 Association (like ours) recognizes that Mark Is and Mark IIs are different boats electrically. The diagrams and your suggestion to other skippers to draw one is excellent. Many of us have been preaching wiring diagrams for years. Well written, necessary to point out the safety issues to others who may not know, and brought up "newer" technology in fuses that are available and how they work.

The "elektrcity challenged" should be able to learn something.

Well done, keep 'em coming. I've always suggested to our C34 folks that they read the entire issue, cover to cover. This is an example of why they should.

May 20, 2016
Thanks Stu. Next article is due in a couple of weeks. Probably networking NMEA 102 as there was a 101 2-3years ago Ivan build off of.

Les