Beneteau 361 condensate problems

May 17, 2010
Beneteau 361 New Bern NC
Our 2002 B361 has a typical A/C condensate hose draining into the bilge. Currently this is drained periodically by manually tripping the bilge pump, but if the manual process is left too long the condensate water overflows from the central (tiny) bilge through the hull grid into adjoining sections. Above the aft end of the keel the water drains down through weep holes to a lower level which the bilge pump cannot empty and it takes a shop vac with a slim hose to suck out the water.
Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so any suggestions on how to install a solution?

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Why would you drain the venturi into the bilge? That is a self-inflicted problem.

What you should do is reroute the venturi discharge directly into the cooling water discharge so it goes out with the pump water. A simple 'T' fitting will take 10 minutes to install and your problem disappears.

May 17, 2010
Beneteau 361 New Bern NC
Thanks for the reply but at this point we have no venturi, just a drain hose. Maybe basic Beneteau install. So far we have not gone the venturi route as other advice has been that they are a problem to keep clear.
Have you seen a venturi set up on a Beneteau 361?

Aug 27, 2014
Beneteau 373 San Diego
I installed a Webasto 16k BTU A/C unit on my 373. I led the condensate line to a Whale shower sump pump I put down in the bilge. It turns itself on automatically. I led the line out of the pump to my sink drain tube. I tapped into it with a 90 degree elbow, threaded on one end, hose barb connection on the other. You can see what Webasto recommends here on pages 7 and 8:
https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/pdfs/Webasto/FCF_Install_Manual.pdf

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
I'm wondering why your bilge pump is not automatically turning on and taking care of this for you. Do you only have a manual bilge pump?

Sep 25, 2008
Thanks for the reply but at this point we have no venturi, just a drain hose. Maybe basic Beneteau install. So far we have not gone the venturi route as other advice has been that they are a problem to keep clear.
Have you seen a venturi set up on a Beneteau 361?
I have never heard of, seen or experienced a properly sized venturi tube clogging. If it was a problem, the worst thing that could happen is exactly what you now have.
If someone suggested it could somehow backflow as a result of a clogged discharge thruhull, they fail to realize the boat would flood ion that unlikely event regardless of the presence of a venturi so no net difference.

I've read countless stories here and elsewhere and talked to lots of people all complaining about A/C condensate problems, all of which could be easily eliminated simply by routing the condensate out with the circulating pump water.

People encounter a myriad of problems because of a wet bilge which we all try to avoid yet some still route condensate there which is puzzling at best.

Your choice.

Aug 27, 2014
Beneteau 373 San Diego
Don, what kind of T fitting? How does the pumped circulating water not go back up the condensate line?

Sep 25, 2008
Don, what kind of T fitting? How does the pumped circulating water not go back up the condensate line?
Any 'T' will work of approx same diameter as the hoses to which it connects.

The only way conceivable for water to backflow into the boat is if someone managed to plug the thruhull preventing discharge.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
John,
I have a "condensator" Venturi setup to eliminate condensate thru the circulating water discharge that has been in place for 5 years. No problems & the bilge stays bone dry. Highly recommended.

May 17, 2010
Beneteau 361 New Bern NC
Thanks for the link. If I go this way I have to find a suitable place for a sump in a very shallow, flat bilge, but it may be possible.

May 17, 2010
Beneteau 361 New Bern NC
Our bilge pump works either manually or when turned on by a float switch. Actual "bilge" is so small it is filled by bilge pump pick-up, manual bilge pump hose and the existing condensate hose so the float switch is just beside. Float would deal with a real problem but not soon enough for the AC.

May 17, 2010
Beneteau 361 New Bern NC
Thanks for all the input and ideas. When I get the final solution I will repost to add to the ongoing saga!

Sep 25, 2008
Thanks for the link. If I go this way I have to find a suitable place for a sump in a very shallow, flat bilge, but it may be possible.
The venturi feed goes in the A/C drip pan, not the bilge.

Also, you can save yourself $150 by buying it at any store that sells waterbeds.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
I concur with Big Easy...our Mermaid has a condensator hose that is connected to a fitting at the bottom of the AC pan and this line (perhaps 1/2 inch O.D.) and runs uphill and exits the side of the boat about 2 feet above the unit pan itself...it's all automatic and works like a champ....never backs up....justs keep on sucking as required to keep the pan empty..It is possible for the pan to fill up after the AC has been shut off and this water could conceivably overflow the pan if I go sailing so I always run the AC for maybe a minute so the condensator can empty the pan before I go sailing.....Pat

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
I installed this and it works perfect $ 20 on amazon or less on ebay bilge stays bone dry . it has a built in check valve however I also install another external check valve .5 lb from McMaster carr as a failsafe from backflow of water thru suction tube . It has never clogged as your a/c water should be going thru a strainer

Attachments

Sep 25, 2008
Don. What's the connection about venturis and water bed stores?
They sell or give them to people buying waterbeds as part of a kit to be used to empty the bed.
Typically connects to a faucet routing the flow through the venturi and out a drain while the venturi sucks the bed dry.