Boat stands for Wing Keel

jhogle

Sep 16, 2016
Catalina 22 Topeka
I've been trailer sailing at my local yacht club so far this season, but I am getting pretty tired of launching and retrieving the boat every time I want to sail. I'm going to go ahead and get a slip, but first I need to apply some new bottom paint. Being that the boat sits on a trailer, I need to get it off the trailer in order to paint under the bunkers.

I have seen some methods online that involve raising the boat off the trailer with cinder blocks, or make shift stands. Maybe it is just my inexperience, but it all seems a bit sketchy to me. :what: I have seen other boats at my club suspended up on boat stands like these. It gives me the impression that I could just set some of these up, and raise the boat right off the trailer in a pretty safe way.

My question, how many stands would I need to safely raise my C22 and where should they be located? Are there different kinds of these boat stands out there? If so, which kind should I be looking for?

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
5 stands does it for me 2 under the stern 2 just forward of the keel and a single for the bow.

I have a combo of brownell( Craigslist find) and scaffold mart's marine stands:

You may want to modify my relatively flat approach for a wing keel -- but the only thing that would change is the stand shape-- good Intel on brownells web page

IMG_2645.JPG

Last edited:

jhogle

Sep 16, 2016
Catalina 22 Topeka
Do you happen to know the minimum/maximum height of those stands?

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
If it is a wing keel the boat is probably resting on the keel and the bunks simply keep it up right. You can lower one bunk at. A time, paint and then put it back in place. This is the method on our h28 used each season.

Good luck

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Strap the boat to the opposite side before dropping bunk..

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
@jhogle , your link to the Brownell stands is correct, the second to smallest size is correct for C-22's, swing or wing). I found a set of 4 on CL. I don't use the 5th stand at the bow like @pclarksurf
I doubt you really need to buy a set, just poke around your club or yard, I'm sure someone will rent you a set for a week. Easiest way using boat stands (and you probably do this at home in your driveway);
- On a flat surface raise the trailer jack as high as it will go.
- Place two boat stands at the stern near the transom where the laminate is strongest.
- Lower the trailer jack and hitch to your tow vehicle.
- Come in from the side with a cherry picker (engine hoist) an gab the bow eye. If you are lucky you have a fork lift or a tractor to do this. No need to buy any of this, hopefully you have a friend or neighbor that has something like this.
- Raise the bow and you may also need some turns on the rear stands, the boat will come up off the trailer, then tow the trailer out.
- Now place the front stands in a position to @pclarksurf 's photo. You can leave the cherry picker attached to the bow eye, you'll need it later when you remove the front stands to paint the areas covered by the pads, and then to put the boat back on its trailer.
- For a wing keel, you can lower the stands so the wing keel sits on some dunnage (heavy lumber), but the C22 will sit fine with wing keel off the ground so you can sand and paint the bottom of the keel.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Do you happen to know the minimum/maximum height of those stands?
Those stands support a lot of weight, well above the 2500 pounds of your C-22. Have no fear, Brownell stands are the industry standard. The website says each stand is independently rated at a safe working load of 10 tons.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
This way may be easier: Paint as much as you can with the boat on the trailer. When the paint is dry, back the trailer down the ramp until the boat floats. Then slide the boat to starboard or port a couple of bunk-widths. Drive forward again and the boat will be on the trailer, except offset enough to paint the missed areas.

It works just that easy with my swing-keel boat; you may have to pull a halyard to the side or get some friends to stand on the rail of your fixed-keel boat.

BTW - Are you sure you need bottom paint?

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
In my pic you are looking at Brownell MB3's and / or the scaffold mart equivalent:

Capture.JPG

As noted by @CloudDiver-- I use the 5th bow stand as a surrogate for the cherry picker. When I have the boat clear of the trailer in a stable 3 point stance-- I move in with the keel forward stands and use the 5th as added stability.