OK, so I got this boat...

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
Allied Seawind.jpg

Actually, I bought a trailer that came with a boat. I need to use the trailer to move another boat I purchased recently. The question is how to get this boat off of the trailer in my yard short of hiring a crane to come out and lift it for me.
I was thinking of jacking up the keel, putting stands on the ground and inching the trailer foward untill the trailer crossmembers reach the stands, repositioning the stands, inch the trailer forward some more, etc. Has anyone done this a different (easier) way?

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I've done something similar with a smaller boat. It worked fine, but then the boat was most likely way lighter.

ken

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
The stands only provide stability. The boat actually rests on the keel. You will need to block under the keel.

The method described above -launch and retrieve is your simplest and safest.

By the way nice boat for a freebie.

Dec 19, 2014
Tartan 30 Baltimore
I'm not sure this applies to your sailboat but here is a pretty well done explanation for a powerboat.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
It works the same way for a sailboat, but be sure to chain the stands together. The shape of a sailboat can try to kick the stands out to the side. If you don't have stands you can also build cribbing.

Ken

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
The stands only provide stability. The boat actually rests on the keel. You will need to block under the keel.

The method described above -launch and retrieve is your simplest and safest.

By the way nice boat for a freebie.
Brownell stands are rated for 10 tons each... I agree that they not intended to support the entire weight of heavy keel boat, but they would be effective to remove the trailer and then put heavy lumber under the keel.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
@Cowpokee , do you have a friend with an excavator? A pair of stands at the stern just behind the trailer, or at least clear of it and chained together should provide enough support to lift the bow with a heavy strap from the side with an excavator arm. Pull the trailer, place dunnage under the keel, and then more stands... I've only used this method on small boats, I don't know what the lift rating is on an excavator arm or what that boat weighs. What kind of boat is it?

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
That boat looks real heavy. You have any big trees in your yard. If you do I'd strap it to the tree to insure it doesn't fall over. But if you build a heavy A frame swing set type lifting hoist to hold front center up as pull trailer out might help keep boat from falling over. But if it does then well it was free right just stay out of way not worth getting hurt over.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I would get it on solid ground. I think soft ground will be a danger. Then I would walk it out with stands. As Lochner said, if you can get an excavator to lift the bow, while the stern rests on stands, that might work. The stands are going to need to be the tallest available!

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
AMF Alcort Paceship PY26 Washburn Wi. Apostle Islands
Dude, what does a crane cost...A couple hundred dollars per hr...
And you need it for what an hour...
And an hour next week....???

Don't go cheap now... Falling sailboats can be a real PITA...

Jan 8, 2015
Thanks for all of your inputs guys. You have given me many more concerns to consider than what I initially thought about.
The idea of putting it in the water would certainly be the simplest. However, after being on the hard for 6 years, I am reluctant to trust all of the 13 thru hull fittings. (Some are even missing) I do like the method in the video, I think I will eventually try an amended version when I decide where I am going to finish the restoration.
I have a 100 Hp tractor with a front end loader. It can easily pick up the tongue of the trailer, not sure if it can lift up 1/2 of the boats weight. The boat is a 1964 Allied Seawind partially restored. The boat is real heavy, the crane that sat it on the trailer where I picked it up from estimated it at 12,000 lbs. That lift cost me $962.00 by the way. The marina where I have a slip does have a travel lift. I think they charge ~$100 per lift. I could set it on stands in their yard long enough for me to get my other boat in the water, then have them put it back on the trailer until I decide where to park it for the completion of the work. Even though the boat was essentially free, it is definitely worth the effort to finish the restoration. The boat was packed with boxes and boxes of new winches, electrical panels, throttle controls, mast head, cleats, stanchion bases, plumbing fixtures, all brand new ready to be installed. It also has all new cabinetry, and other stuff I haven't figured out exactly what its intended function is.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I'd worry a lot less about a bunch of closed seacocks then trying to deal with the weight of that keel on that hull and consequences of that boat crushing someone, something, or itself.

Having a powerboat on trailer which will take a rolling load is much different than heavy keelboat.

Do you to keep the sailboat that's on the trailer now, or what?
Are you in Oklahoma in that Kerr Reservoir?
How'd you get the boat AND the trailer for what you felt the trailer was worth?

(They hang people in our part of the Country for stealing a guy's boat :^))) )

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2015
[QUOTE="SG,]

Do you to keep the sailboat that's on the trailer now, or what?
Are you in Oklahoma in that Kerr Reservoir?
How'd you get the boat AND the trailer for what you felt the trailer was worth?

OK, the back story to all this:
I bought a 30' Goman Express 30 a few months ago. It is on a lake ~ 100 miles away. My intentions was to borrow a trailer and bring it to Kerr Reservoir in Oklahoma. Borrowing a trailer didn't work out, so I looked into other options to get the boat over here. Getting quotes from boat moving companys was cost prohibitive. Around $3000.00 to go just the 100 miles. One of the quotes was only if I took the mast down first. If I am going to take the mast down anyway, I'll put that $3000.00 into a trailer in case I ever want to move the boat again. I did an internet search for a $3000.00 sailboat trailer and got a hit on ebay for a 32' boat with a trailer 400 miles from home. The current bid was $3200.00. I figured at least the lead keel scrap value was close to that. I put in a max bid considering scraping the boat for parts. I won the auction at $3250.00 still not know exactly what I was getting into. I studied the few pictures included with the listing so I was hopeful. Upon arriving at the boat to pick it up I quickly realized what a great find I had come across.
The reason the boat and trailer sold so cheap is another interesting story that I will be glad to share later if anyone is interested.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
The reason the boat and trailer sold so cheap is another interesting story that I will be glad to share later if anyone is interested.
Please lets hear about it. Sounds like a good story.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
I'm hooked now. Especially after you said the boat came with boxes of New unused sailboat equipment

Jan 8, 2015
The previous owner buys a boat to sail around the world. He hires a man to refit the boat back to like new so he can impress his fiancé and convince her to sail around the world together.

The guy rebuilding the boat dies ½ way through the restoration, the owner packs all of his belongings into the boat and goes off to Europe to wed and for some reason doesn’t return. He stops paying the storage fees on the boat.

Several years go by and the storage yard just wants his back fees. The original owners’ sister comes by and removes what she sees as valuable. The storage yard owner goes to a friend of his that knows a little about boats and they decide to put it on ebay. They don’t take the time to inventory any of the boxes of “junk” stored in the boat.

I buy the boat because it is cheap and has a trailer that I need to move a boat I had bought earlier. Not thinking I am getting much more than scrap, I am very surprised when I get a chance to put eyes on the boat.

My first task before moving the boat is to unpack a full dumpsters worth of old clothes and books to reduce weight before transporting the boat back to Oklahoma.

When I get the boat home, I finally have some time to look through the boxes saved as boat stuff. I am extremely surprised when I find boxes and boxes of brand new unused parts to complete the refit.
Maybe I should make this expedition into a TV show and it will be a hit!