Hunter 380 Autopilot

Oct 10, 2016
Hunter 380 Bayfield WI
My Hunter 380 does not have an autopilot. I'd like to rectify this and would like to hear from other 380 (or similar) owners about their autopilots. What's worked well and any suggestions for installation would be welcome.
Thanks, Hugo

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hugo
One of the simplest systems to operate and install is the Raymarine EV 100 wheel. It is the lowest costing system. Your Hunter 380 is on the max threshold of the system design.
Maximum recommended laden boat displacement: 7,500kg (16,500lbs)
The EV 200 is the next level up and can easily handle your boat. It uses a direct connection to your rudder and hydraulic power to drive the system.

At this level there are multiple systems available.

Oct 10, 2016
Hunter 380 Bayfield WI
Thanks for the reply jssailem, I like the idea of a simple system, but I'm concerned about displacement. My boat has a listed displacement of 16,172 lbs and that's before I get on board with my family and stuff. Do you know if there is any "fudge factor" in the EV100's rating of 16,500 lbs? If it was rated to 17,000 or 17,500 I'd be comfortable using it.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I looked at this based on how I expected the autopilot to work. The issue is the useful life of the motor. Say your boat is 20000 lbs. You are in calm weather. Negligible currents and your boat is well balanced with little force needed to maintain a straight course. The EV100 will work like a champ. The little motor will have the same strength and power as a 10 year old and all will be happy.
Change the conditions with crossing currents, 6 to 8 foot seas, changing winds 20 to 40 knots and you will likely not want your 10 year old at the helm.
My boat is 15K in displacement. So I'll be happy in some conditions but not all, because the motor will fail at some point earlier than desired.

The EV200 with hydraulic motor system has a beefier motor system, like putting a 16-18 year old on the helm.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
I went from a wheel pilot to a below-deck type 1 linear drive because the wheel pilot couldn't handle all the conditions I wanted to sail (solo) in. The difference has been like night and day. Go with the beefier motor.

Feb 17, 2013
Hunter 380 Port Clinton, Ohio
I had the EV 100 wheel on my catalina 34. Noisy and annoying. Whirr , Whirrrrrr, Whir. I grew to hate using it. I have a below deck pilot on my Hunter 380. Pretty much silent when engaged. My advise, do not buy a wheel pilot. You will regret it.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
My boat had the external belt wheel drive when I bought it. First mod was to install the ev200 below deck electric linear drive. I love it

Les

Dec 18, 2012
Hunter 37.5 Annapolis
Last edited:

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Hunter 380 Cape Coral, Fl
My 2000 H380 has a chain driven pedestal helm rudder system. When you upgrade to an EV200 (EV100 will not cut it, the factory stock AUTO PILOT is rated for 24K displacement), you need to buy the gear motor package which is not the stock EV200 (generally a Hydraulic system) and cost more than a little more as I recall, never on sale... Inside the pedestal, there is a place for the motor to mount which drives the chain.

Regards,

Viper

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
I have a 8,500 pound 28 foot Oday 28 and just got a Raymarine EV100 autopilot and a P70 control head and an A77 multifunction device chart plotter. Hired someone to install it and calibrate it. Now I need to learn how to use it. I'm told (and bought it of this reason) that the navigation system works with and controls the EV100 autopilot. However I've not been able to locate any directions for how to do this and how to update waypoints from the Boating Navionics app on my iPhone to the Navionics charts on the A77. I'm reaching out to Raymarine for help but am wonder if the forum can help. Warning to others... the a77 does not display boat speed.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
My 2000 H380 has a chain driven pedestal helm rudder system. When you upgrade to an EV200 (EV100 will not cut it, the factory stock AUTO PILOT is rated for 24K displacement), you need to buy the gear motor package which is not the stock EV200 (generally a Hydraulic system) and cost more than a little more as I recall, never on sale... Inside the pedestal, there is a place for the motor to mount which drives the chain.

Regards,

Viper
I upgraded on my 1994 Hunter 40.5 from the wheel ST4000 Wheel Autopilot to and EV200 with the Type 1 Rotary Drive mounted inside the pedestal. If you open up the top of your pedestal and look inside you may see a small platform with two studs sticking up about half way down inside the pedestal. If you have these, your boat is already set up for the inside the pedestal Rotary Drive. You should also see a portion of the shaft for the wheel sticking out that you can put a gear onto. You'll need to source the gear for the rotary drive and for the wheel shaft and I'd recommend stainless steel chain so it doesn't interfere with the magnetic compass on your pedestal. The gears aren't cheap. I am very pleased with the installation (which I did myself) and love how it handles. I'd also recommend the rudder sensor as it "refines" the response a great deal. I've got some of the stainless steel chain if you decide to go that route.

Oct 5, 2015
Hunter 38 Auckland
Hi Hugo
You must use EV200 with Liner Drive type 2 for your boat. EV100 is TOO SMALL. it will be able to handle your 38ft on light winds only.
I have published few photos related to installation of my latest Raymarine EVO Autopilot on Hunter 38 - search for topic "
Hunter 38 - Saloon Deadlights". Hope it will be similar on Hunter 380.
Good luck
Sergey

Oct 5, 2015
Hunter 38 Auckland
Check attached picture - this is the pack which I have bought. Please disregard price - it is NZ dollars. I am sure you will pay half price in USA :)

Attachments

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Our 1991 boat came equipped with an Autohelm (now Raymarine) 7000 below deck linear drive pilot with a 6000 head. Belle-Vie displaces 35,000 pound loaded. The drive arm attaches to the rudder post via a separate bronze tiller arm. It also has a rudder position sensor. The very strong Autohelm does a nice job in most all sea states, but when heavy conditions present themselves I will usually manually steer. If you can afford the larger system go with a below deck unit. In the long run you will be glad you did.

Oct 5, 2015
Hunter 38 Auckland
You are correct Terry! Go with larger system if you can!!! I am glad with my EVO200 choice over EVO100 (double price...). I am racing / cruising this boat with my wife only so my pilot works basically as third crew member - great helmsman in all conditions especially during tacks, jibes, sales changes, etc.