How to fix bow pulpit?

Aug 3, 2013
Hunter 25 New York City
Hi there, my bow pulpit on my 1981 H25 has gotten bent out of shape due to getting caught on part of a bulkhead to which it was tied, and then slowly being crushed by tidal action. (Fun times.) It's crimped in one place and generally wonky. I removed it and have tried to bend it back into shape by inserting it into a solid bollard on shore and pulling on it, but no luck. The steel seems like it is very brittle. I know a guy who does metal work but I'm not sure if it's even possible to get it back into any semblance of its former shape. Has anyone had any luck bending one of these back into shape, and how did you do it?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
You would be better off looking at a breaker yard and get a new old one. Yours will never be the same again.

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
....Yours will never be the same again.
Yes, agree.

But might help if you could post some pictures.

Not just of the bent/wonky pulpit. But also how it is attached to the boat. Might be via 1/4" bolts through the toe rail like mine. If so, using clamps between the pulpit mating points and the toe rail while moving to different spots than the original might re-align to acceptable. I had to do this on my 1980 Hunter 36. When installing a new furler, the drum interfered with a cross piece that was welded to my pulpit. After walking around my marina and observing that almost no pulpits on other boats had these cross pieces, the rational solution was to just cut mine off. But when I did, the forward part of my pulpit shifted 5-6 inches port or starboard (I can't now remember which). Looking for a fix, I observed that when clamping the pulpit mating points to slightly different positions on the toe rail the alignment got correct again. After marking the new attachment locations, it then was just a simple matter of drilling several 1/4" holes through the toe rail so that new bolt/nuts where in the right place.

As to the crimp bend: If not near a weld point, you could just cut the area off completely. Say 1" on each side of the crimp. Find some new SS pipe with an inner diameter that matches the outside diameter of your pulpit's pipe. Cut to say 5-6" in length. Slide it over the now cut-off section. On each side, drill an appropriate size hole so that you can screw in a self taping SS screw to hold the sleeve in place.

These might be inexpensive -- but still acceptable -- solutions. But all depends on how bad the pulpit has been damaged. And if you could get it back into OK but not perfect, that is acceptable to you.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2013
Hunter 25 New York City
Thanks for the ideas!
This is what the pulpit currently looks like. The crimped part is on the left. The foremost upright slid over a post on the bow, but is now bent at the bottom, and the two side uprights are tapped on the bottom and take some big boy bolts (didn't measure) through the toe rail. It was never the sturdiest thing so I think I might check out what the closest salvage place has for me.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Most locations have stainless manufacturing sites. In Everett they are "Rail Makers". They will take your pulpit and remanufacture the part. This will include straightening, bending, cutting and welding the parts back together.
Costs usually less than brand new. Not without cost.
Look for a stainless steel shop and ask.