Rudder fill

Oct 26, 2016
Hunter 36 (2005) McKinley Marina, Milwaukee, WI
Using the advise of our pre-sale surveyor I drilled two small holes in the bottom of the rudder on our 05' Hunter 36 to allow moisture to drain while it is on the hard this winter. I am wondering what is the best product to fill these holes prior to launch. A local boat dealer suggested 3M Marine silicone.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Were you able to determine if the holes were effective? Did you find water on the ground under the rudder?

Oct 26, 2016
Hunter 36 (2005) McKinley Marina, Milwaukee, WI
Thank you kloudie1, I will look into that product.
shemandr, it was effective in that it did in fact drain moisture. We observed moisture slowly coming out of the holes for a couple days after drilling them. We were told it is common to have some moisture in these rudders so we plan to do this each fall to prolong it's life. There was/is not any visible damage to our rudder. Percussion testing turned out to be positive and correct during the survey.
We only drilled in the bottom of the rudder but we were also advised that a small "vent" hole higher up would help. I was not brave enough to drill that hole.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a former Hunter dealer who sold the 36 but now retired, I find it odd to drill drain holes in a rudder that will remain permanent with the holes being plugged and unplugged to get moisture out at the end of each season. With the paticular construction of the Foss Foam rudder, I would tend to think it is getting moisture or water into the rudder which would need to be addressed from leakage. I understand why the boat would come out end of the season due to location and climate, freezing. I would have reservations as to permanent vents As for the rudder, I would look at the seams for the two halves and where the rudder post goes into the rudder. I am not sure if the rudder has barrier coat and so forth. Since I do not see any pictures, I use to drill holes in the bottom of rudders and let stand for a long period of time allowing the rudder to dry out for lack of terms. Then I would either fiberglass also using a two part epoxy called Water Tite or Water Tite alone. Sand and then apply barrier coat and bottom paint.

My best advice is go direct to Foss Foam or NewRudder.com and that telephone number is 352) 529-1104
and speak with Bob Walker. They built the rudder for Hunter.Go direct to the appropitate source would be your best bet in this case.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
I drill hole or redrill 3M 5200 out hole every other year and stick a a/c vacume pump in hole a few days before launch each spring to pull vacuum and moisture out rudder then seal let dry bottom paint and launch. Use an old vacuum pump retired from hvac service