My other hobby...

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
As some here may know, I like to play guitar. I also like writing my own tunes. Every once in awhile I will put something together and say to my self, "self, that was nice". When I do that, I will plug all my stuff into my laptop and try recording what I did.

So here is one of those tunes that self said that was nice. I uploaded it to Reverbnation and if you are so inclined you may give it a listen. It is not nautical, it is just me playing my 12-string.

Manzanar
(Sometimes Reverbnation plays the wrong song. If you see a different name in the player at the bottom of you display, just look for Manzanar and click on it,)

If you like it, thanks. If you don't, thanks. Really, I actually play for myself as a means of unclogging my head. LOL

Thanks for listening.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Wonderful; thanks for sharing. I love 12 string. Denny Brooks, who played back up for John Denver, was one of the New Christy Minstrels, etc. and a fraternity brother loved 12 strings and played them a lot.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Good stuff ! Prayers Without Words is definitely going on my "smooth/easy" playlist !

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I like "Tumultuous Storm". It will be good cockpit stereo sound with on a "hull speed" 20 knot wind run.

"Run with the Wind" could be another name for it.
Jim...

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
As some here may know, I like to play guitar. I also like writing my own tunes. Every once in awhile I will put something together and say to my self, "self, that was nice". When I do that, I will plug all my stuff into my laptop and try recording what I did.

So here is one of those tunes that self said that was nice. I uploaded it to Reverbnation and if you are so inclined you may give it a listen. It is not nautical, it is just me playing my 12-string.

Manzanar
(Sometimes Reverbnation plays the wrong song. If you see a different name in the player at the bottom of you display, just look for Manzanar and click on it,)

If you like it, thanks. If you don't, thanks. Really, I actually play for myself as a means of unclogging my head. LOL

Thanks for listening.
I hear a little Zeppelin in there, bluesy laid back rock. like it

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
I loved "Manzanar." Before I go off trying to figure out how you played it - was your guitar in standard tuning?

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Brian, maybe you can help me out!! I play clarinet. Im looking for a way for me to play each part of a quartet or duet (whatever) separately and put it together in software without spending boat bucks...any ideas?

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Perfect for that sunset sail to a cove and then for good music under the stars...You have a great talent! Patrick

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Very nice Brian. Have never really tried finger picking style; I have enough trouble playing with a single pick!

Feb 17, 2006
Thanks for the kind words. I am in Lake Tahoe right now enjoying the freezing weather and of course the snow. Don't get enough of it in Oceansice.

@Mark Maulden, when I get home I will breakdown how I recorded the song. You don't need much but it is tricky.

@jwing, dropped D tuning. Just used what we call "color chords". When I get back I will tab the chords I use.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I finally got to listen to it today. Great stuff. I'm looking forward to listening to your others, too!

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Well done! Right up there with Jefferson Airplane's Embryonic Journey, one of my favorite instrumentals.

Feb 17, 2006
@Mark Maulden!

First, the equipment I use are remnants of gear used for other projects. So I haven't really poured any real money into my gear.

1. Any laptop or PC should work.
2. The software I use is free and called Audacity. You will have to download an add-on in order to export MP3 files. Audacity is very good at giving instructions and help when things do not appear to be working right.
3. I use an external mixer, Behringer Eurorack 602. However, if you are just recording one instrument, you do not need a mixer.
4. I use a Shure SM57 microphone AND I plug my guitar direct to the mixer. So I have two sources for the highs and the lows. For a single instrument, plugging the microphone directly to the audio input should work. You may need to review which laptop/pc mics work the best.

If I am doing multitrack then I first record track 1. After that is done, I will record track 2. However, you must mute track 2's monitor because of latency. So playback track 1 and play along on track 2. For tracks 3 and 4 (or more) you will repeat the same process. If the tracks get out of sync then you can drag the tracks and line them up.

This is the simplest way I that I can explain. Sorry if I confused you. Doing multitrack with a single person can be very rewarding, but can also be very challenging.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Brian, a great website....you have many talents! Thank you for sharing of your many talents...!!! Pat Coulter, Wichita, Ks.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 36_1980 Bass River, NJ
Brien, Thank you for sharing !! Very nice sound

joe
s/v trinty