Anchor Watch Software

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Just curious if anyone has any thoughts regarding what they use for Anchor watch software? I primarily use iSailor and occasionally Drag Queen. Has anyone else found better anchor watch software? Has anything new come out?

Sep 22, 2009
Hunter 36 Seattle, WA
Not that I'm aware of. Active Captain says that they are about to improve the Drag Queen app, so if you have suggestions for them, let them know.
Not to hijack the topic, but MY wish is for a better float plan app than the USCG one. If you know of one, please let me know.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
We use Anchor Watch and have not had a problem, But am willing to test Drag Queen when we get out and put our boat in the water!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
When going to sleep I use the alarm feature in a handheld GPS that will alert me if the boat leaves a predetermined radius. I always take a sight of shore based reference points and will periodically verify the boat's position. Have not used the apps but would not want to rely on my phone or a computer for that.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Just curious if anyone has any thoughts regarding what they use for Anchor watch software? I primarily use iSailor and occasionally Drag Queen. Has anyone else found better anchor watch software? Has anything new come out?
Well how do you like that! I just replied to your other anchor thread above and addressed this very question. So I won't repeat what I said here, other than that I use Drag Queen and find it very simple to use and it works well.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
We use Anchor Watch and have not had a problem,
+1 I swear by this app.
They all use little current compared to a chartplotter that is left on for this purpose and I sleep a whole lot better when moored or on the hook. Note to self: Remember to turn app off BEFORE departing in the morning.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Active Captain says that they are about to improve the Drag Queen app, so if you have suggestions for them, let them know.
It is an energy hog, depletes the phone battery by morning. I quit using it.

Nov 22, 2011
It does seem power hungry--not unusual for apps that use the GPS. I keep my iPhone plugged into the boat's 12v system when I run it at night. When I'm aboard during the day there is no need for me to run it, so I disable it during those hours.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I've been happy with SailSafe for Android. I am old-school enough that I regularly roust from bed on a 2-3 hour schedule without benefit of any alarm to check my bearings. I just doesn't feel natural to sleep through the night at anchor.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
I do leave the device plugged into a 12V outlet. There are a lot of other power hungry things I would give up before giving this one the night off. Specs show in the order of 1.7 Ah for newer iPhone and iPad.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Most gps/plotter/instruments have an anchor alarm. I know my Ray AP can access the GPS feature with out a plotter so you might check the alarm page on all you control heads.

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Hunter 380 Cape Coral, Fl
What I want is an APP that can call me when I'm on shore and the boat is on the hook..... Letting an empty boat except for the cat, hear an alarm does not do me any good...

Regards,

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
What I want is an APP that can call me when I'm on shore and the boat is on the hook..... Letting an empty boat except for the cat, hear an alarm does not do me any good...

Regards,
Viper the app "Anchor" by Marie Hullo can do that. It can also send you an email message. I have not tested the phone but I have the email and it works well.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Can the cell phone access the satellites from inside the cabin or must it see the sky?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
What I want is an APP that can call me when I'm on shore and the boat is on the hook
You will need a transmitter and receiver.
When we prepare our boat for a hurricane, we leave an old iPhone on board and use Apple's "follow me" app.
We know where the boat is at all times.

Can the cell phone access the satellites from inside the cabin or must it see the sky?
Some hand devices have a GPS on them, some don't. Some need line of sight cell towers to act like a GPS.
Jim...

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida

Regards,
The SailSafe for Android app will do that, but you need two phones and cell connectivity. You start the application (after dropping anchor, of course) and set an anchor radius (and sector if you want). There is an option to call another phone for alarms, so carry the second phone to the beach and it will alert you. The caveat (other than chasing your drifiting boat with your dinghy), is you absolutely need cell service for both phones or no notice.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
It's actually a bit hard to imagine that a skipper anchored out among shallower reaches of the big blue sea could sleep through a serious anchor dragging event such that he had to depend on a GPS or other alarm to awaken him. If wind and sea are the culprits, surely he would wake up w/o any alarm when the riding motion of the boat changed, or when the boat began to shudder, its halyards clanging, or when its rigging began to whistle and moan in the freshening breeze. Moreover, it's hard to see how a normal tide change could pull out a properly set anchor, or anchors, in a quiet anchorage. If I have one aboard (as in the GPS) I might set it (which presently I do not); but I would not go find one to buy.:doh: There's too much other stuff I need. If we're talking here about a slow drag of a ft or two an hour, say,--that should be detectable when skippy gets up for his 2 or 3 am round.:cool:

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2011
It's actually a bit hard to imagine that a skipper anchored out among shallower reaches of the big blue sea could sleep through a serious anchor dragging event such that he had to depend on a GPS or other alarm to awaken him. If wind and sea are the culprits, surely he would wake up w/o any alarm when the riding motion of the boat changed, or when the boat began to shudder, its halyards clanging, or when its rigging began to whistle and moan in the freshening breeze. Moreover, it's hard to see how a normal tide change could pull out a properly set anchor, or anchors, in a quiet anchorage. If I have one aboard (as in the GPS) I might set it (which presently I do not); but I would not go find one to buy.:doh: There's too much other stuff I need. If we're talking here about a slow drag of a ft or two an hour, say,--that should be detectable when skippy gets up for his 2 or 3 am round.:cool:
I see your points. However, I already have an iPhone and the apps that do this are either free or the cost is negligible. Other than the very small power draw of keeping my iPhone plugged in, I see no reason not to use it.