Anchoring Issue Strategies

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Not a fun situation to be in no matter what the conditions are.
Years ago I made a dragging anchor alarm.

A lot of people I know set the drag anchor function alarm on the gps, however my gps is in the cockpit and I can't hear it when down below.
I'm an old school sailor, and dating myself now going back to the days when we didn't have all these fancy electronics and used paper charts.

My alarm can be made for about $25.00 -$35.00
Materials:
Battery holder C or D type
On/off pull switch
Wire
Electric battery operated alarm buzzer
Galvanized chain approximately 1' that weighs about 10 lbs
Light weight line or kite string 50-100'
Small plastic electrical box to contain electronics.

Wire the batteries to the pull switch and the alarm buzzer. Then mount the pull switch to the side of the container housing all of the electronics. Pull the on/off switch and test the connections to insure that the buzzer works when activated.
Now tie the chain to the kite string or light line.
Note that the chain weight should be approximately 10 lbs as it is to be used as a weight.

After you have properly set you anchor.
Toss the 10 lbs chain attached to the kite string or light line overboard directly under the bow untill it's on the bottom.
Let out about 10' or so of alarm chain line scope.
Run the alarm chain line into the cabin "example hatch" .
Tie the end of the on/off pull switch to the 10' of alarm chain line scope.
Note : that the scope of alarm chain line is obviously determined by the depth of water you are anchored in. Only use as much string as needed after its on the bottom to allow the boat to drift approximately 10 feet from the chain weight. Therefore don't tie the switch to the end of the spool. Only tie the pull switch to whatever your alarm chain line scope is.
Now with the alarm chain line tightly secured to the pull switch so that it cannot slip.
The alarm is now set.
Note: again that the chain is only being used as a weight.

If your anchor drags the chain will stay in place as the boat is drifting away.
After the 10' or so of alarm line scope has been compromised and all the slack is gone.
The alarm chain line will pull the on/off pull switch activating the alarm circuit and it will buzz.
Wake up your dragging anchor!

This is a simple idea that I put together about thirty years ago and still use it today.
I patented this idea and tried to introduce it to the boating industry for years.
No interest, however lots of boaters That have seen it, all like it. Many have made one themselves.

It's Simple, cheap, effective, and safe.
It gives me piece of mind when I'm anchored out overnight.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I was just reminded that I haven't used an anchor alarm since I retired my CQR anchor and upgraded to a modern anchor.