Last of winter sail

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
One of the grandsons for sure but I know I'll never have a photo like that of my daughter!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I routinely apply corrosion block (spray) to hose clamps, keel-bolt nuts, and turn buckles, etc. For the stuffing box nut I'd apply an anti-seize, or never-seeze, copper-based compound that brushes on. Next time I'm on the boat I'll fetch out my tube and get the name; I don't remember it. For threaded fasteners I usually apply Lanocote from WM. If the fastner is vurnerable to loosening from vibration, then it gets the adhesive (blue; medium strength) thread-locker.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Les That is a Daughter with a lot of trust that her Dad won't let go of the rope. My guess you did not discuss her boyfriend during this event. Did she enjoy gymnastics in her youth?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I think trust was enhanced by having her mother tailing on the safety line ;). No there were no boy friend discussions. My Son had lots of comments on how difficult hoisting someone is in Australia, licenses for employee working aloft, permits with safety plans, backup plans, engineering calculations...... We told him we had filled out all the paperwork in triplicate and filed it with appropriate authorities

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
For the stuffing box nut I'd apply an anti-seize, or never-seeze, copper-based compound that brushes on.
Just picked up a small tube of Versa-Chem copper based anti seize for $4 at O'Reillys Auto Parts store. The copper is used for high temp applications. I'll give it a try and let you know.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Just picked up a small tube of Versa-Chem copper based anti seize for $4 at O'Reillys Auto Parts store. The copper is used for high temp applications. I'll give it a try and let you know.
Used a small wire brush to remove most of the surface debris from the threads. Applied some of this anti seize and worked both the box and lock nut back and forth to work the compound into the threads. Plan to do more in a couple of weeks, but clearly both operate much smoother.

Dec 25, 2000
Yuk, what a spring break cruise. Drove to the boat last Friday, readied her for departure and cast off to catch the remaining ebb current out the north channel. Moderate southeasterly breeze, so up with the genoa once entering the channel at Shelter Bay. Could feel the breeze building as time passed, but had to do about four tack changes due to a dead down wind sail.

Belle-Vie doing 8.5 knots toward the north entrance with just the genoa, then made the turn to Cap Sante. Time to stow the genoa before entering the marina so I sail over to the lee side of one of the large oil tankers and roll up the furling drum in its' wind shadow. Anacortes Yacht Club reciprocal dock is open offering a nice respite from the sail. By now the wind is blowing like stink. Sail plan includes Roche Harbor, but the weather forces us to make other plans.

NOAA forecast includes unsettled weather through the coming week. Wind howls all night, then Saturday and Sunday. No letup. Tuesday the sail plan for Roche Harbor gets dashed and we're heading back home. Having trouble getting away from the dock with the wind pushing Belle-Vie against it. Wait some time for a lull, then away and homeward bound in a blustery southeasterly on the nose.

Once back in the home slip there is time to deal with several minor adjustments. John comes over to hoist me to the first spreaders to retrieve the signal flag lanyard that broke during the wind surge. Repaired the anchor warp splice that had become a bit ratty after several years of use, plus a few other odds and ends.

June 26th our last day of school, so little chance to get out until then. Our two older sons and their families from Texas will be spending time this summer; one late June and the other early August, so July will be open to PNW cruising. The August family wants to cruise into BC for a couple of weeks and do Capilano Bridge plus a few other venues. Sounds like a plan to me.