Recomended Jobs to do while out of the water?

wilf

Jan 25, 2017
oday 25 oday 25 long beach
So my oday 322 is being hauled out for a few days next week to replace the cutlass, inspect the shaft and bottom paint, any other recomended things i should do while its out of the water? Also on the keel bolts should i remove the 3x3 plates and rebed them on 5200, and retorque them? they dont leak right now so should i just leave them? The aft bolt is missing the washer that i think rotted away

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
You should replace the bilge pump float switch. Replace all AC and DC wiring. Replace the starboard boat name graphic. Totally polish the hull using Maine Sail's system. Install an effect bird deterrent system. Replace the steaming light. Install new hose for your toilet system. Replace your battery charger. Repack your trailer wheel bearings. Replace the grease cap on your trailer jack after filling with grease. Get frustrated that @B757Captain can basically rebuild his entire boat in less time than it takes to screw up just one simple task on your own boat.

Oh wait. I'm projecting. My bad.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
clean the water line & polish/wax the side of the boat was high on my list when I pulled earlier this month for bottom paint.

May 8, 2013
Hunter 40 Dataw Island, SC
You should replace the bilge pump float switch. Replace all AC and DC wiring. Replace the starboard boat name graphic. Totally polish the hull using Maine Sail's system. Install an effect bird deterrent system. Replace the steaming light. Install new hose for your toilet system. Replace your battery charger. Repack your trailer wheel bearings. Replace the grease cap on your trailer jack after filling with grease. Get frustrated that @B757Captain can basically rebuild his entire boat in less time than it takes to screw up just one simple task on your own boat.

Oh wait. I'm projecting. My bad.
Aww, come on Kermie! Don't get frustrated. Not to pile it on or anything but while rebuilding the boat I also re-read all the 737 manuals and am learning Japanese (for the new job), and I built 3 model airplanes. :)

Mark

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
...Not to pile it on or anything but while rebuilding the boat I also re-read all the 737 manuals and am learning Japanese (for the new job), and I built 3 model airplanes. :)
Mark
Well that explains why your boat isn't in the water yet. We've been wondering. ;-)

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Retorque but do not rebed, there is no need. Also stay away from 5200, I don't believe it was used by the builder and some day you may want to drop the keel. Torque on the 34 is 160 ft lbs. Have prop tuned and lap fit it to the shaft per Maine Sail. Ditto on check the seacocks. All of mine have been replaced. Finally inspect the shaft seal.

wilf

Jan 25, 2017
oday 25 oday 25 long beach
Thanks for the replies, the shaft seal and bottom paint is the main reason its coming out of the water, noticed a couple of the wood backing blocks where the seacocks are fitted look damaged so i plan to replace them too maybe replace some of the seacocks if needed, anyone recomend the best type to use?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Thanks for the replies, the shaft seal and bottom paint is the main reason its coming out of the water, noticed a couple of the wood backing blocks where the seacocks are fitted look damaged so i plan to replace them too maybe replace some of the seacocks if needed, anyone recomend the best type to use?
The yards around Long Beach (and elsewhere) use Groco. At my last haul out in Dec. 2015 I exchanged four of the thru-hulls and values initially installed on the boat for the Groco versions. The boat was first splashed in 2000. Maybe service or exchange the prop. I've changed mine twice; but, it is aluminum.

http://www.groco.net/CATALOG/2016-CAT-LR.pdf

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Check / replace your zinc(s). Check your rudder centered mark on your wheel is correct. If you have to pull the shaft, consider a dripless log seal (PSS?) and new coupler, for a couple hundred bucks. Touch / polish / pull on everything under the waterline because next time you'll get wet to do it!

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Retorque but do not rebed, there is no need. Also stay away from 5200, I don't believe it was used by the builder and some day you may want to drop the keel. Torque on the 34 is 160 ft lbs. Have prop tuned and lap fit it to the shaft per Maine Sail. Ditto on check the seacocks. All of mine have been replaced. Finally inspect the shaft seal.
Shouldn't that be "pound-foot"? Foot-pound is a term related to energy while "pound-foot" is related to torque. Very confusing.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Torque is defined as:
= r x F; in that order it would be ft-lb, but it would have to have the same meaning (quantity) if reversed to read lb-ft.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Got it... but r and F can be in any order as long as they remain r and F. So τ=rF or τ=Fr is the same thing.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Got it... but r and F can be in any order as long as they remain r and F. So τ=rF or τ=Fr is the same thing.
But it is really "newton-metre or N-m" since any credible scientist will be working in SI units.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Marine plywood sealed with fibgerglass expoxy and the thru hull nut holds them in place