Ordered a new main sail today

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Had an exciting day.

I placed an order for a brand new mainsail from Bacon Sails. They said 4 to 6 weeks... so... I know what I hope to be doing April 1st.... :waycool:

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Congratulations! Details? Sailcloth? Battens? Reef points? Did you measure?

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Had an exciting day.

I placed an order for a brand new mainsail from Bacon Sails. They said 4 to 6 weeks... so... I know what I hope to be doing April 1st.... :waycool:
Did you request extra crispy? ;)

Jan 19, 2010
Congratulations! Details? Sailcloth? Battens? Reef points? Did you measure?
I did not measure. I sent them my old sail and Bacon offered to measure for me.

Here is the sail they quoted but I have asked about a second set of reef points

7.0 oz DACRON BY BACON. GROMMETS WITH VINYL PROTECTORS ONLY ON COVERED ROPE LUFF. PRICE INCLUDES CUSTOM HARDWARE AS NEEDED. LOOSE FOOTED. LEECH/FOOT LINES. 2" SETUP, 1" SETBACK. REEF UP 3' 7". TAKES ONE FULL AND THREE STANDARD BATTENS - INCLUDED. NEW/UNUSED. BLUE BAG. 17 lbs.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
I went to Bacon Sails for both my new roller furler & genoa and my new main. I thought they were easy to work with, knowledgeable, and willing to discuss with me how I sailed and what I thought I wanted. Sending the sail was the way to go, I drove mine over and when they measured the sail it turns out I have a tall rig. (Learn more about this sailing stuff every day :))
With the new main she will actually track long enough for me to pop below for something.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Ron23204
Show Rob the town. Were you at the Annapolis sailboat show in 2009 with a power sailor leaving the show full speed with a 75 hp on it with the harbor patrol, DNR and Coast Gurard blue light specials giving chase. If you did, you saw me. believe it or not, no tickets. Great way to end 30 plus years attending that show. By the way in downtown at the circle, I once had a trailer axle give way and for over an hour repaired it right there tying up traffic. what a traffic jam. Trailer was not mine. Did not get a ticket and believe it or not, the cops were helping in the repairs. Got to know some and they are great folks.
Take Rgranger out for a good old Maryland Crab Sandwitch. Hey Rob, do not tell him what a doe doe bird I am. Har Har. By the way Kermit bringing his boat to my mountain top for some work.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Sending in a beat up, used sail to use as a measurement for a new one is bizarre. Luffs shrink, and foots stretch. I cannot image how this is a good thing.

Jan 19, 2010
Maybe I should call them Monday. Thanks Jackdaw.
Sending in a beat up, used sail to use as a measurement for a new one is bizarre. Luffs shrink, and foots stretch. I cannot image how this is a good thing.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Rgranger;
Rob, Jackdaw is absolutely correct. There are two things. One all sailmakers have the I, J< P and E measurements in a manual that all the sail lofts have.
You could measure yourself using the main halyard hoisting a tape measure to get the distance down to the gooseneck and angled out to the back of the boom with the boom horizontal. You would also need to know the length of the boom.

Remember this is a larger designed mainsail than most standard mains due to the B &R rig with no backstay as the idea of putting more power into the mains was standard at that time. I never felt a loose footed mainsail was a good idea for this boat. I sailed the 260 with standard and loose footed mains in the past and felt better performance with the standard new main. Some will argue with me but that is a preference to the owner.
Again I concur with Jackdaw on this
Dave

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
It is possible that Bacon will use the ROUGH sizing of the used sail to determine for sure if the sail is a regular or tall rig sail, and if a headsail what LP fraction. Then use the published JIPE numbers based on that to come up with the final numbers.

If thats what they are doing thats sort of OK. Not as good as taking actual measuments, but often asking customers to do that introduces more errors than it catches.

Jan 19, 2010
.... Not as good as taking actual measuments, but often asking customers to do that introduces more errors than it catches.
RIGHT! They offered to have me measure the sail or mail in the old one. I took the second option. Cost me $9.50 in shipping but if the sail comes out wrong I don't want it to be my fault. Or at least I don't want them to say it was my fault. Seemed like cheap insurance.

May 25, 2004
Hunter 25.5 Panama City, FL
2016-12-16.1.jpg
I ordered a genoa 135 from Bacon Sails last year and am very happy with the sail. I talked to Gary at Bacon Sails and told him wanted and where I sailed. I wanted a smaller genoa for ease of handling since I solo sail 100% and am an ole lady. I measured my old sail and gave him the roller I have and told him that I wanted to be able to see in front of me so I wanted a shorter luff.