A new (and very old) forum: Cruising Sailors

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Back in the 1990s, Cruising World magazine had a very active and amazing forum frequented by some of the best and most interesting sailors in the world. As the publishing industry changed in the 2000s they made some unpopular changes to their forum and we ended up hosting it on their preferred software platform, renamed the Cruising Sailors Bulletin Board.

Eventually, that platform was abandoned by its developer and the forum waned due to technical obsolescence and the quirkiness of the forum layout.

This weekend we moved the old forum (and just a little of its content) into a shiny new SBO forum called Cruising Sailors. It's still frequented by some very cool people and amazing sailors. We hope some/most/all of them will make the conversion over to this software.

The old forum is still online as a read-only archive and is always worth browsing.

The Cruising Sailors Forum will be for experienced sailors and offshore cruising. Historically, the forum has allowed content of all kinds, not all sailing related. We will continue to honor that guideline.

It will probably take people a few days to look around and get their logins worked out, but stop by the forum and say hello. https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?forums/cruising-sailors.172/

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Very Cool

I'm always amazed at what SBO does... thanks guys.

I've made the habit of always looking in your chandlery first and I encourage others here to do the same.

Feb 3, 2017
Hunter 25.5 Lake Thurmond, South Carolina
Thank you. I am enjoying the forum as it is already. And this is a bonus. "Simply nothing better than messing around with boats."

Mar 16, 2009
Hunter 35 Coconut Grove
Hi Phil, as one of the old denizens of CWBB, your efforts are appreciated. I don't know if we'd ever get back to the CWBB heyday (or would want to, maybe) but your continued support of the cruising community is applauded.

Bryan C.

Feb 2, 2010
Island Packet 37 Hull #2 Harpswell Me
Phil
i maybe missing something or you have done a very nice seamless switch but without me doing anything i can just select the cruising forum like any other forum, is that correct?

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Yes, if you're logged into the SBO forums (which you do using the little tab at the very of the window), you just select the Cruising Forum from the menu under Shared Forums. You can read or post in that, or any other forum on the site.