Motor Mount for Outboard Engine on 45 Oceanis

Oct 7, 2016
Beneteau 45 Oceanis Fort Lauderdale
What is the back rail motor mount rated for in terms of weight. Can it handle 100lbs. Getting a Nova spar hoist to help lift the engine up to the rail. Thinking of getting a 10hp or perhaps a 15hp engine. Thanks

Oct 29, 2006
Beneteau 381 Olympia, WA
We have had our 9.8 Tohatsu on the rail on our 361 for years now, its about 80 pounds. The hoist is very helpful but there is still some wrangling on the swim step to get it off and on dinghy. I did place the motor on a vertical stanchion and as close to the corner of the L shaped rails as possible to get some support from the rails going forward. With regular family members the 9.8 planes our 11 foot RIB but one extra guest and it doesn't, I certainly wouldn't want more weight when I wrangle the outboard onto the rails singlehanded.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I have put my 8hp Yamaha on the stern rail bracket mount of my 323 and use a Forespar hoist installed on the port quarter to lower the motor to the Zodiac. It works, but I don't trust the bracket at all. Its simply sandwiched on a Stainless Rod pushed through the top stern rail. Too much potential for flexing. In my opinion a really stupid factory design.

Nov 20, 2017
Hanse 400e Nanaimo
This is my solution: www.swing-lift.com. Full Disclosure though, I do sell these now as a very small sideline. I built this to solve the problem on my Hanse 400 and while I'm obviously very happy with it I'm not going to cloak myself as an unbiased reviewer. Am also not supposed to "post items for sale", so don't buy it! Just check it out if you're looking for ideas!

Jun 1, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 45 Palm Beach
We have OC 45 #125. The outboard mount is intended for a small dinghy motor. it is rated for a 20 kg (44lb) (or less) motor. You're probably OK up to about 50 lbs. That means a 5hp or less motor. We have two motors a 5 hp weight 50 lbs and a 3.3 weight 27 lbs. I'm a little unsure when the 5 is on the bracket. The 3.3 is fine. The mount is not sturdy enough for an 8, a0 or 15 hp motor!

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I bought an Edson Mount that is rated for 100lbs. Found it second hand for $125 in new condition!

Jun 1, 2016
I bought an Edson Mount that is rated for 100lbs. Found it second hand for $125 in new condition!
The motor mount on the OC 45 is on a single stanchion.. The mount could probably handle more than 50lbs, but the stanchion will not.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
It isn't just the weight on the stanchion- it is also how the pushpit will rock back and forth. It would need some bracing to be safest. .

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
On a single stanchion... well that is a lot of force. I have mine on the aft rail between two mounted supports

Jun 1, 2016
CORRECTION--The outboard mount is actually on horizontal rails between two stanchions. However, the Beneteau manual states that the mount is goo for up to 20 KG (44lbs).