Catalina 275

Feb 23, 2017
Catalina C275 Sport Portsmouth, Rhode Island
I just signed up to the Forum today. I have a 2015 C275S hull #29. I love the boat, having had several much larger boats that I always needed crew to sail, the 275 has brought the simple joy of single handling back for me. I thought of racing the 275 and bought the 100%, 106% and the A sail. Unfortunately, Narragansett Bay PHRF gave the boat a rating of 131 spinnaker and 150 non-spinnaker. That puts the boat just slightly slower than the J-80's rating. Obviously, I don't race the boat, which is disappointing. Is there going to be a dedicated 275S forum? I'd love to hear from other owners.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome Ed to the best forum on the net. There is a Catalina forum and you might find specific information to your boat. Sorry about your luck with the PHRF rating. If racing is in your blood then maybe just the competing would be worth the activity.
Have fun here.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Welcome @Edward Foss . You are right - tiller boats with non-overlapping rigs make the best single handed boats!

Jun 6, 2016
Catalina 275 Wilmette, IL
I just signed up to the Forum today. I have a 2015 C275S hull #29. I love the boat, having had several much larger boats that I always needed crew to sail, the 275 has brought the simple joy of single handling back for me. I thought of racing the 275 and bought the 100%, 106% and the A sail. Unfortunately, Narragansett Bay PHRF gave the boat a rating of 131 spinnaker and 150 non-spinnaker. That puts the boat just slightly slower than the J-80's rating. Obviously, I don't race the boat, which is disappointing. Is there going to be a dedicated 275S forum? I'd love to hear from other owners.
Holy crap, what planet are the people Narragansett Bay from? They are daydreaming if they think a C275 is that fast. As I have said in the past, I do not consider this a "sport" boat, it is way too heavy. And wait for the light air days and the wetted surface will do you in. Well, maybe you'll just have to go out and loose over and over to just show them how nuts they are. Have fun coming in last.

As for the dedicated C275 forum, I'd be all for that. My honey list is to big right now for me to really help out. I done some minor interior mods that I thought other people may appreciate but never found a good place to put them. I know there is a Catalina forum on this site, but it doesn't have a C275 specific group which could be helpful considering almost all the major Catalina fleets have their own elsewhere. I guess we are currently light on the members.

Feb 23, 2017
Catalina C275 Sport Portsmouth, Rhode Island
Thank you everyone for your warm welcome! Codybear, that is exactly what Narragansett Bay PHRF told me, go out and bomb and we will allow you to contest your rating. Maybe I will just for fun!

sidw

May 1, 2006
- - newport, ri
Have you considered appealing the NB PHRF, considering the ratings in other areas? I was thinking of buying one to race in Narragansett Bay, but from the discussions here, I'll go another route. I'm curious as to whether the 131 is the base rating or taking into account the sails.