Mainsail settup

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Mine are just like yours. They were in the mast when we bought the boat, so I don't know how they got in. I'm pretty sure I could pull them out, but I'd need pliers to do it.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
shouldn't have to resort to brute force-- two options looking at it from here. 1) relieve the opening a bit to let your stop slide in or 2) revert to a alternate slide (photos above) that would pass the opening. Sorry I don't have the mast track and my sail stop readily available for comparisons sake. I literally have never had to think about it in my particular instance.......

@Gene Neill may be on to the obvious-- quite possibly the slides came up from the bottom: given the fact we step often, the mast gate may not have been designed to take the slide direct....... (always knew he was a genius in disguise...)

Siren

Apr 2, 2018
Catalina 22 12491 Lake Charlevoix
Mine are just like yours. They were in the mast when we bought the boat, so I don't know how they got in. I'm pretty sure I could pull them out, but I'd need pliers to do it.
Really? Pliers? That just made our eyebrows go up. Interesting. So not easily taken out-able. hmmmm....

You guys really are the best. I feel so silly to ask such simple mundane probably obvious questions, and I laughed at @pclarksurf when he said he literally never had to think about it. We haven't either.

It makes perfect sense to have them slide on easily from the bottom when the mast isn't already stepped. Thank you all for engaging me in this.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Siren....I'll stop by the boat tmrro and take a pic and measure what we have, couple/several sail stops there (flat, me thinks, that came w/boat) from PO...hang tight....but keep your pliers handy! You're gonna need 'em for other things anyway!

Last edited:

Siren

Apr 2, 2018
Siren....I'll stop by the boat tmrro and take a pic and measure what we have, couple/several sail stops there (flat, me thinks, that came w/boat) from PO...hang tight....but keep your pliers handy! You're gonna need 'em for other things anyway!
AHA. It is becoming much clearer. All this discussion has been very helpful....we now think it is probably by design for the round 1/2" stopper to NOT easily slip out through the mast track opening, but supposed to be installed from the base of the mast prior to stepping. This makes a lot of sense. It would also make a lot of sense for some stops to be flat, maybe like @rpludwig 's. I can just see the P.O. going to West Marine or ordering from CD and having the same head scratching problem I am having, and then ultimately deciding to go with the smaller 3/8" flat design because it DOES fit in the mast track opening AFTER the mast is already up.

Whew. Time for a :beer:. Let me buy a round for all of you......
:beer: @pclarksurf
:beer: @Gene Neill
:beer: @rpludwig
:beer: @Jacktar
:beer::beer: @ScubaGuy2 - he gets 2 for tolerating my crazy mind today trying to figure out this simple problem.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Ummmm .....

Now that I think about it .... there is a cleat mounted in the sail track about a foot up from the bottom of the mast. If your mast is like ours, it's a pretty sure bet the stops were not installed from the bottom. :doh:

Do I still get a beer anyway??

Siren

Apr 2, 2018
Ummmm .....Now that I think about it .... there is a cleat mounted in the sail track about a foot up from the bottom of the mast. If your mast is like ours, it's a pretty sure bet the stops were not installed from the bottom. :doh:

Do I still get a beer anyway??
That's funny you say that.....I noticed the boom vang hardware attached to the bottom of the mast tonight and thought the same thing. You still get a beer, just because you joined the conversation. :thumbup:
Oh, reallllly?? Interesting. So give it a little push, and it will pop right in....but how do I get it out? Pliers? I'm flattered you chimed into this discussion. Thank you very much for your input!!! :clap:

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Siren, sail stop is flat 3/8", mast slot is 1/2"...no pliers needed...
sailstop.jpg

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Was the slot different on the old pre 1977 mast vs the 1977+ mast ?
I've got a PDF of the later mast profile from Catalina. Hoping to get a PDF copy of the older drawing too.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Were you ever able to get the 1/2" Davis stops to fit into the mast? I'm looking for sail stops as well and was about to buy the same 1/2" Davis stops myself.

Apr 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Sport #15582 Indianapolis
That's funny you say that.....I noticed the boom vang hardware attached to the bottom of the mast tonight and thought the same thing. You still get a beer, just because you joined the conversation. :thumbup:

Oh, reallllly?? Interesting. So give it a little push, and it will pop right in....but how do I get it out? Pliers? I'm flattered you chimed into this discussion. Thank you very much for your input!!! :clap:
Pull.

The round sail stop can be pushed-in and pulled-out with a good grip. But if it doesn't work for you, go flat..whatever you can make work.

Siren

Apr 2, 2018
Were you ever able to get the 1/2" Davis stops to fit into the mast? I'm looking for sail stops as well and was about to buy the same 1/2" Davis stops myself.
@Hardhead - YES!!! I was!!! It works perfectly!! I feel like such a goober because I didn't figure it out the first time. It does just take a little push, and it goes right in. Don't be scared to really push. The 1/2" Davis stops work beautifully. :thumbup:

(and it's a good thing, because our local West Marine was sold out of the 3/8" Flat Stops.)