Wind speed and direction

Jun 21, 2011
Catalina 22 MKII Scarborough, Ontario
I recently came across the new SailTimer wind instrument and the related app, and am interested in hearing from those of you who have had direct experience with this type of equipment. The product website, www.sailtimerwind.com provides a fairly detailed description of the product, including the following features - solar powered, wireless connection to iPhones and iPads, provides wind speed and direction data and notably, optimal tacking direction information and distance to destination. I am not in any way associated with this company, but have been impressed with the features identified and the various product reviews. I do not have any direct experience with this type of equipment and am interested in your reactions. Chris

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Ive been using the Sailtimer 'software' integrated to my mast head 'wind machine' integrated to my electronic navigation programs (MacENC) for a long time. The software is very good, enabling one to optimize total VMG and show precise distance along a 'leg' exactly WHEN to tack for less total distance travelled. Its very acccurate and automatically give correction for actual current anomalies (that one ignores when hand calculating).
Should be illegal for when racing - IMO.
I still use it when not racing ... when on long distance tacks when on passage.
Dont know anything about its 'hardware', I only use the SailTimer 'software'.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Maybe all true, but if cannot take into account WIND SHIFTS and local formations that effect local pressure and direction.

Rely on that vs good shift tracking and watching for pressure and a good sailor that does will torch you every time.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
I recently came across the new SailTimer wind instrument and the related app, and am interested in hearing from those of you who have had direct experience with this type of equipment. The product website, www.sailtimerwind.com provides a fairly detailed description of the product, including the following features - solar powered, wireless connection to iPhones and iPads, provides wind speed and direction data and notably, optimal tacking direction information and distance to destination. I am not in any way associated with this company, but have been impressed with the features identified and the various product reviews. I do not have any direct experience with this type of equipment and am interested in your reactions. Chris
That looks like a really nice unit! And the price seems good, especially if one were to pre-order it. I've read of many reliability issues with the TackTick (I think it is) brand of wireless anemometers. If this one proves reliable it sure looks like a good solution. Just based on what I see on their website it appears to be a well thought out product.

I don't have the spare bucks for one right now, so I guess that means I'll miss out on the pre-order price. But it also means I'll get to see what other users think of it before I'm in a position to buy one. It sure does look interesting.

May 9, 2013
Hunter 32 Miami
In case anyone is reading this forum from outside North America, the SailTimer Wind Instrument has a new pricing arrangement that minimizes customs duties, taxes and fees. Advance orders from any location can still get a price of $350, but this is split between the physical Wind Instrument ($150) and live wind maps on a cloud server ($200).

That way, if you are in a country where customs would add a lot of extra fees, you only pay them on the package that is delivered.

Sep 25, 2017
Corsair C31R Progreso
I do not like to write unjustified negative reviews as I understand in today’s online world, word spreads fast. I downloaded the latest version of the app with the result that it now instead of crashing just simply does not connect at all to the Android. Even does not connect to a Samsung J7. There are no problems connecting other bluetoots devices to the Samsung. I am at a loss. The battery level has creeped up to level 5 now after being 3 months outside. A few other things have been crossing my mind.
First, I still think that the idea and concept is a good one and the price would be awesome (if it would actually do its job). I even would be happy to pay double if it would work. About the execution I am just not so sure. The new windcup attachment is very easy running but I still think the cup needs to be bigger to be responsive in light conditions. The plastic chosen for it, looks odd, discoloured and I would think it will not last very long in the UV. Mine looks already deteriorated and brittle (New Zealand ozone hole conditions). I got no idea how long the clear windvane block will last in those conditions. Biggest concern here is A) that it was not balanced at arrival and B) the sheer weight of it. I have been thinking about it a lot. The idea to have a compass in it makes sense and would make life easy for not required calibration, but let’s assume, you put this on a 15m mast. We are going frequently out in 25-30 knots. Waves easy 50cm and more. Now imagine what forces will work at the top of the mast when you start crashing into waves. My whole windvan just fly off. So I have to order a nuew one and now pass 6 month and now information or any kind of mail to inform what is happing.
In regards to customer service, it is bad. Shipment of the first batch was supposed to happen mide 2015. Well, I did not get anything. After asking, shipping would start Sep./Oct. May comes and goes, nothing. Then I read the second batch is just about to be shipped. Nothing. Finally I received my Sailtimer instrument 9 Months after I ordered and payed for, with some calm down e-mails in between. Personal opinion, there is a lot of overselling and under delivering going on.
Maybe, I am just an unlucky Guy with unlucky circumstances but I am not trying my luck again in the near future.

holtjp

Jun 13, 2015
Kaiser Gale Force 34 Winterport
You weren't the only one that got snookered by this company. In two seasons, I've had only a few weeks of useful operation from the second generation unit I purchased in 2019. The first season, the battery packed it up. The second, the wind cups (new and improved ones just installed by the company while repairing the first problem) seized up after a few weeks. Customer service is amongst the worst I have ever experienced, especially from a Canadian company, which are normally at the very top. I sure wish I had done more homework, like reading your comments before purchasing.

Jan 22, 2008
Montgomery 17, Venture of Newport, Mirror sailing dinghy, El Toro sailing dinghy Mound, MN -- Lake Minnetonka
My experience was similar to yours. I got about one hour of use from the SailTimer during an almost two-year long saga of fighting with their very poor “customer service.” Their philosophy seems to be to blame the customer for out of the box defects in their product. I am out about $500 for the device, return shipping to Nova Scotia, “repairs”, etc. and I do not have a working device.

holtjp

Jun 13, 2015
I know we are not alone with our negative experiences. I have heard from many others sharing the same story. I personally feel pretty damned stupid for the money I spent even after my gut told me the product was bad. My investment in upgraded stainless bearings, installed by the company, provided just a few weeks of use before seizing up. The company shipped me a replacement set of "upgraded" ceramic bearings. I slipped the old bearings out and slipped the new ones in. Pretty damned simple compared to all the other boat systems we've likely all worked on. The new ceramic bearings were even worse than the rusty "upgraded" stainless bearings I removed. Just as you described, the company response was to tell me I damaged the bearings during installation. The company did offer to send me yet another set of bearings, but only if I removed or updated my comments on forum sites and the Better Business Bureau. When I refused to alter any of my previous comments the company informed me that frozen bearings aren't covered under warranty. I don't plan to pour anymore money in trying to get the Sailtimer device to work. I do plan to mount the device somewhere I can see it every day to remind me to do my homework before the next ill thought out purchase. I wish you the best on your path forward.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The first time I saw that contraption the engineer in me said WAY too much moving/rotating mass. The perverse part of problems like that is any attempt to fix it usually results in making the original problem worse.

The world's best marine wind sensor (B&G WS710) looks like this. All other serious ones do as well. For a reason.

000-14392-001_01.png

holtjp

Jun 13, 2015
Your observation is well founded. To make matters worse, the sensor mounts onto a relatively thin shaft and the mounting plate that attaches to the masthead is only about 1 x 1 inches in size. I mounted the Sailtimer atop the mast, 56 ft above the water. When sailing upwind in modestly strong winds the Sailtimer would visibly oscillate. I thought for sure it was going into the water on numerous occasions.