First time out of the water in 8 years

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
Finally got around to pulling her out. I just purchased her last year. 8 years tied to dock unused. I've pressure washed off the slime, zebra mussels and most of the old anti foul. The keel appears to have been ground down and epoxy primed, but is blistering. It also appears to have a barrier coat that is failing.

End of the season, start of the project.... I will keep you posted. Any suggestions of how would proceed would appreciated. I would rather not remove the keel.

Attachments

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Any idea what the keel is ? C.I. magnetic. Lead non-magnetic ?

Has the keel detached from the hull at the front or is that a mis-sight on my part ?

The keel appears to have been ground down and epoxy primed, but is blistering.
The keel can't blister if it's not covered with FG.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
That does not look like blistering. Blisters occur between gel coat and fiberglass so it would appear on the bottom of the boat rather than the painted lead keel. Also, its practically impossible to pressure wash off all old paint and residue. It ain't that easy, I'm sorry to say. That said you have a pretty basic maintenance chore ahead. The keel can simply be ground clean using 80 grit to remove the remaining paint and scum. For the gel coat bottom, more care is suggested because sanding with too coarse grit or high-powered tools can eat right through the thin gel. Hint... be careful. You can use chemical stripper, in moderation, or you can scrape, or an oscillating sander and medium grit. If you feel comfortable using coarser medium... give it a shot... again though... go slow til you feel confident you're not going do damage to the gel coat. I prefer a variable speed polish type tool using 240 grit, foam pad, at a medium slow speed. Problem is dust though, so there can be restrictions if you're in a boatyard, or near other boats.

Once the bottom(that's the hull below the waterline) is clean, you can start rebuilding it. Here you a couple of choices. For instance, if you are thinking about racing, you might consider "fairing" the bottom to make it perfectly smooth and even (no bumps or depressions). Can you tell us what evidence leads you to determine the barrier coat is failing. There are no apparent blisters on the hull, and that's the primary purpose of a barrier coat. Nevertheless, don't try to strip the epoxy barrier coat... if you need, you can apply right over the existing. You'd be obliged to apply a chemical primer though...easy enough. But, honestly, once you decide on your plan of action... barrier or just primer over gel, then the anti fouling paint. You need to revert to the barrier coat and paint manufacturer's instructions and follow them explicitly. The barrier coat especially... because it is temp and humidity sensitive... bottom anti fouling paint is super easy, just roll on and discard the rollers after each use. Okay, good luck... you'll enjoy the project.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
I'm a C-22 sailor, so I could be wrong about the -25, but I believe most older 25's had a cast-iron keel similar to the 22's of the same era (just heavier - maybe ~1500 lbs vs. ~550). If that's correct, then you may be seeing the same effect we C-22 sailors do - water gets through whatever bottom paint we put on a keel and rusts the iron. Rusting iron expands, which raises more paint and exposes more iron to seawater, and so on. Eventually you get pretty severe pitting (from the pictures you posted, yours doesn't look nearly as bad as some I've seen).

The standard C-22 solution is to sandblast the keel to bare iron, seal with epoxy, fair with a few layers of thickened epoxy and fiberglass, and finish the glass. Then the keel is pretty well encapsulated against future water intrusion. But don't take my word for it (I haven't tackled this task yet). See @pclarksurf's account of the process or Stingy Sailor's version I'll be following their pictures whenever I get around to doing mine.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
epoxy barrier coating is a coating............hope that helps.

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I would just go with Interlux’s instructions for their 2000e system- sand to bare metal (or barrier coat where that’s still intact), apply one coat of 2000e, fair if desired, and apply 2 more coats of barrier coat. Apply antifouling while the last barrier coat is still curing.

I’ve done this with a lead keel on an O’Day 28 and it worked fine, though we didn’t keep the boat long enough after that to see the long term durability. I’ve also spot treated our current iron keel that way and the rusty spots I treated have not recurred.

Aug 10, 2020
Sand, apply 7 coats of epoxy barrier coating then 2 coats of antifoulant paint.
I need to sand the bottom to see what all I am dealing with. I have done fiberglass and gelcoat work for years, but this is my first bottom job (everything is on lifts here, powerboat lake). So I've been reading up. In the back of the interlux "boat paint guide" it says to put down a coat of epiglass resin (if I have any blisters repaired or sand through in the gel), 4-5 coats of barrier coat (interprotect 2000e) and 2-3 coats of anti foul.

I assume the coat of epiglass is optional is I do not have blisters or sand through? If I do have small repairs can I simply brush the repair with epoxy resin, sand and barrier coat before antifoul?

Does all that sound right?

Since I'm freshwater, I am not overly concerned about the iron keel. I will probably just wire wheel the loose material off and barrier coat/antifoul it as well.

I have the equipment to lift the boat off the trailer, but removing the keel, sandblasting, fairing, etc all sounds a bit over kill. What are your thoughts?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
What are your thoughts?
Time to get to work. I don't think you'll have to do half the things you've mentioned. Certainly not dropping the keel... unless there's a compelling reason. It's just a bottom job after all. Probably the simplest maintenance project, skill wise. Just get started and the plan evolves.

Aug 10, 2020
Time to get to work. I don't think you'll have to do half the things you've mentioned. Certainly not dropping the keel... unless there's a compelling reason. It's just a bottom job after all. Probably the simplest maintenance project, skill wise. Just get started and the plan evolves.
Thank you

Aug 10, 2020
You have a good plan.
Any recommendations on anti foul for freshwater? West Marine has their house brand, interlux has a plethora of options, as does Pettit and Seahawks. Seashore has some cheaper products. The price range is as massive as the variety. I think an ablative would be preferred to a hard paint, as I do not race and I can easily haul out the boat every season to record as needed.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Freshwater antifoulant paint................that question will likely gets lots of recommendations on this forum. Might ask your driver who cleans the bottom (if you have one), marina neighbors and local boat yards on what they recommend for the local water conditions and why.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Easiest thing to do is ask the locals. Pick boats that are obviously maintained regularly. If you haul out for the season, rather than leave the boat in year round like here in san diego, you'll need an ablative paint that isn't affected by sun and air. Year round mooring, I prefer the hard shell type but I also pay a diver to for monthly cleaning. That gives me at least 3 years between bottom jobs... sometimes more. Ablative....that's a seasonal thing.... but trust me, it's very easy if you do it on a regular basis. That said, you're in a freshwater lake..... I've never moored in that medium..only trailered. Good luck. Oh, take a couple minutes and look up the subject of bottom paint in the West Marine advisor online.