Heat exchanger anode

Nov 16, 2017
Catalina 310 #246 TX
I have a 2004 Catalina 310 with the Universal M-25XPB engine. It appears I will have to loosen the heat exchanger brackets and rotate it a bit to change out the anode? It drops straight down onto the engine mounting bolt.

28E21681-AA24-4808-89B7-8C276C3A29B0.jpeg

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
On my c36 the anode nut screws into the HX with much shorter collar. I can unscrew and remove with no interference. If this was mine, I would remove the HX and shorten the collar. It may be possible to cut the collar and re-tap, it is NTP threading.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I think you have two challenges here:
1. Hoses
2. Type of HX support - hose clamps or built-in bracket welded to the HX

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 2004 310 (Hull #250) BC
I have a 2004 Catalina 310 with the Universal M-25XPB engine. It appears I will have to loosen the heat exchanger brackets and rotate it a bit to change out the anode? It drops straight down onto the engine mounting bolt.

View attachment 201885
Hello - I also have a 2004 Catalina with same engine and set up etc. - I've changed the anodes numerous times and although it's not a problem getting out a worn down pencil anode down, I still find that with a little wiggling the new one goes up, whilst rubbing against that mounting bolt. I think once I slid the anode up separately, and then screwed on the bolt base afterwards. Good luck!

Nov 16, 2017
Catalina 310 #246 TX
Hello - I also have a 2004 Catalina with same engine and set up etc. - I've changed the anodes numerous times and although it's not a problem getting out a worn down pencil anode down, I still find that with a little wiggling the new one goes up, whilst rubbing against that mounting bolt. I think once I slid the anode up separately, and then screwed on the bolt base afterwards. Good luck!
I hadn’t thought of that. I guess I can take the end cap off to fit the anode back in the base.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I hadn’t thought of that. I guess I can take the end cap off to fit the anode back in the base.
Yes, give that a try if it doesn't want to wiggle up in place as BC mentioned. You could loosen the mount brackets and rotate the HX as you described, also.

SJN

May 30, 2021
Catalina C310 Seattle
Hello! I too have a 2004 C310, hull 260. I recently replaced the zinc and was able to do so with careful alignment without rotating the exchanger. I learned from this forum to use a zip lock bag under the exchanger while removing the old zinc and to have the new zinc ready for quick reinsert to avoid dumping more than a few drips of salt water into the bilge. Do not use plumbing tape or paste on the threads of the zinc holder. The holder needs a clean contact in order for the zinc to do its job. I was worried about the job and delayed doing it for a while. After accomplishing it, I realized my concern was unnecessary.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Like the zip lock bag tip! However while many caution against thread sealants serveral authors say it is fine. They advise checking with an ohmmeter. I now use a liguid sealant on all my zincs and find complete electrical continuity from the brass plug to the engine block and the zincs waste away normally.

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
Had the same problem ........... just cut 1/4 " off of the bolt with my sawsall. Worked out just fine.
Cheers

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
if your concern is having salt water drop onto your mounts, there are a couple of options. The exchanger doesn't hold gallons of water, rather a few cups. You can use a plastic coffee canister. Loosen the the anode, hold the canister with one hand, spin out the anode and capture the water. If you are unsure of your ability to capture the water. consider inverting the canister over the mount. They cut easily with scissors, so you can form fit it.

Nov 16, 2017
Catalina 310 #246 TX
I was able to loosen the straps on the heat exchanger and turn It just enough the change the anode. The gaskets on the ends of the heat exchanger are about 1/4 inch thick. The replacements I got are more like 1/16 inch thick. The replacement gaskets were so thin I wasn't able to fully tighten the end cover cap screw and had to reuse the thicker one. I ordered the universal part number. I guess it could be some other heat exchanger.

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
The thinner gasket may reflect the progression in the advancement of science in generating new and better materials. As for the not being able to crank it down, try a bronze washer or spacer..

Nov 16, 2017
Catalina 310 #246 TX
The thinner gasket may reflect the progression in the advancement of science in generating new and better materials. As for the not being able to crank it down, try a bronze washer or spacer..

My thought too, thanks. Every time I think I have everything I need for a boat project there is always a part or tool that I didn't think of.