MMSI Scam?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I got an email from USPS about my MMSI number. The email asked me to visit the site - with link provided- to "Verify" information related to my account. It looked very ligit. The email address was USPS and I visited the site from my browser - not using the link provided. The page had the same appearance as the email but was blank in regard to having my account information or a way to verify information. I think I got my MMSI number from Tow Boat USA not USPS but I don't really remember.
Anyone else receive this?

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I got an email from USPS about my MMSI number. The email asked me to visit the site - with link provided- to "Verify" information related to my account. It looked very ligit. The email address was USPS and I visited the site from my browser - not using the link provided. The page had the same appearance as the email but was blank in regard to having my account information or a way to verify information. I think I got my MMSI number from Tow Boat USA not USPS but I don't really remember.
Anyone else receive this?
I would contact BoatUS and ask them to verify, they were able to get information for me when I received a scam message.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I received a follow up today stating that the server crashed from the overwhelming response - that's why the page was blank.

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
ANYONE asking you to verify your data via email is most definately a scam. Whenever I get emails that might be scams, I simply hover my pointer over the source email address to see what address appears. If unrecognizable, I move it to the spam folder as well as block it. Take no chances!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
SeaTow also issues MMSI numbers, however only the FCC can issue numbers that are valid worldwide. The others are only valid for US waters.

• Helpful
May 9, 2020
Hunter Legend 37 Harrison Twp, MI
USPS... you mean Power Squadron, correct? I got mine from them too.
Just wanted to clarify... some people may be thinking you mean United States Postsl Service.... not United States Power Squadron! :)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
That's the thing - I thought I got it from one of the towing companies. If I remember USPS required being a member.
This is who's name the letter was sent under:
George W. Hallenbeck
MMSI Coordinator
United States Power Squadrons

Google didn't find much.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
When I did an internet search on United States Power Squadron and went to request an MMSI I get "This page isn’t working right now". So I am staying with BoatUS.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I got the email too…but couldn’t connect. Today got the note that servers were overwhelmed or something.

i also can’t remember who I got my MMSI from. Paperwork is on the boat (I hope).

Greg