35s5 replace windows

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

Which windows do you want to replace? Photos? Are they exterior mounted and curved?

1642553890024.png

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
Our recently purchased 35s5 has had the windows all replaced, so, yes, they are/were available. We were told that the windows cost around $1000 each!! Hopefully you can get through to the Beneteau parts website for more information.

Jan 18, 2022
First 35s5 Valencia
Our recently purchased 35s5 has had the windows all replaced, so, yes, they are/were available. We were told that the windows cost around $1000 each!! Hopefully you can get through to the Beneteau parts website for more information.
Thanks. Sounds expensive. I have not been able to get through to Beneteau. They simply do not respond to messages. I tried different channels. Different language. I am thinking producing more than a set of windows for myself. There must be a demand out there.

Sep 24, 2021
Thanks. Sounds expensive. I have not been able to get through to Beneteau. They simply do not respond to messages. I tried different channels. Different language. I am thinking producing more than a set of windows for myself. There must be a demand out there.
There could be a demand, but they are complicated pieces and in my experience custom plastic fabrication is not cheap, and adding to that is that the windows are not all identical.
Have you tried going to a dealer?

Sep 24, 2021
Did you see the email address for Ward Richardson at Beneteau on another thread? wrichardson@beneteau.com

Sounds like he's been responsive..

Jan 18, 2022
First 35s5 Valencia
Thanks. Unfortunately that email address is bouncing emails. Seems it does not excist. May I ask you to check if it is typed right in your posting? Thanks :)

Sep 24, 2021
I cut & pasted from the 'Beneteau Parts Website' thread... so that's the best I can do. Sorry it's not working. Maybe PM the original poster over there?

Mar 23, 2022
Looking to buy a Beneteau 35s5 San Diego
I reached out to Ward, this week to ask about these same windows. We are looking at a 35s5 in California and all 6 need to be replaced. We want to get an idea of what the project would cost before considering an offer. Ward responded very promptly and nicely, letting me know that neither Beneteau USA or France carries these anymore as the manufacturer, they used is no longer in business.

Does anyone have fabrication shops they’d recommend for the project? Ideally in California, but willing to get quotes from out of state. We already received one quote but would love to get at least 3 before deciding what to do.

Sep 24, 2021
I expect you'd be best off looking at more local plastics outfits that you could deal with face-to-face rather than dealing remotely. Also given there are no 'plans' or templates available you'll probably need to get them all out in one piece to use as patterns - and unfortunately I think all 6 are different, though 3 will be mirror images.... And it won't be cheap, as you've probably already sussed out...

Mar 23, 2022
Thanks Hollyberry... yes the one shop that I got a quote from already told me they will not come out in one piece and I'd need to keep them taped together to send them to him. From there he'd make a first pass template, send it to me for fitting, then send adjustments back for final fabrication. I am hoping finding a local shop could cut that cost and time down. My first hope was a shop that has done a few would still have templates. It's been a couple months since we've considered the boat, but keep going back to it thinking "if there was just a way to fix the windows without costing a so much". Boat also needs rigging (standing and running) and headliner replaced (common issue I read on these 35s5's).

Sep 24, 2021
........ Boat also needs rigging (standing and running) and headliner replaced (common issue I read on these 35s5's).
Not sure if you've seen my thread on replacing the liners on our 35s5... under 'Mods to our 35s5'.
The standing rig replacement could run up to $10K, full running rigging several more, and if you're not a DIY type, the headliners/hull liners could run you quite a few more yet again. That's a big 'offer adjustment' and a big commitment. Our 35s5 was also a project but overall had decent bones (and the window replacement had been done with factory stock!) but we're pretty satisfied with her now.

Mar 23, 2022
Thanks Hollyberry... I've not yet seen your post, but will go check it out now. From what I understand the current owners have been relocated and are no longer in state. The boat is just sitting. Have walked by it a few times while at the marina looking at other boats and each time is sadder and sadder.

Linca

Nov 12, 2022
Beneteau First 35s5 Isle Of Skye
Hi. Just joined the forum so apologies if my contribution is too late for Steffenied. I have a 1988 First 35s5 and about 15 years ago wanted to replace the crazed deck windows but the price from Beneteau was about £3000 :eek:. I did remove and reseal some of them which was a horrible job. After many years ashore (sadly) I am in the process of replacing the windows amongst other refurbishment. They are made of 10mm thick Perspex and I believe came in 2 shades from Beneteau of green or grey.
Removal has entailed (after removing handrails) cutting the mastic using long bladed sharp knives and lubricating with soapy liquid etc to stop knife sticking. I used thin wooden wedges to hold the freed part of the window away from the frame recess as I progressed. On some bits, parts of the gelcoat came away with the mastic. I spent ages scraping and cleaning the mastic off the frame recesses using various solvents and cleaners, scrapers etc. It is a long and horrible job:confused:. (Careful with some solvents). It is also a good idea to put sheets under the window to catch all the horrible mastic shreds as you are unlikely to get it off in one clean cut.
All the windows (in theory) should have the same profile but obviously different shapes and sizes.
I gave all the windows to a plastics company which produced a mould using the old largest window and from that a new set of windows. (Still expensive but much cheaper than the original Beneteau price).
Close examination reveals that the old and new windows and widow recesses are not identical with slight variation in the curves near the handrail recess which could be compensated by using only mastic but my preference is to use a UV resistant Very High Bonding Acrylic foam tape to bond the windows and then fill the gap around the perimeter with a mastic such as Sikaflex 295UV. This requires a good match of the profile and means building up in low areas and sanding down in high areas and lots of putting on and removing of each window and using a temporary soft foam tape 5mm thick to determine high or low spots. Most VHB tapes are only 2mm thick but I am trying to obtain a 5mm thick tape to fit the gap. I have also been trying to ascertain from tape manufacturers which is the ideal tape to bond Perspex to GRP as some guides are a bit ambiguous and there are many different tapes.
Another job you may need to do before fitting the windows is putting new gel coat around the window recesses where there have been scrapes, scratches or chips and it is much easier to do it before fitting windows.
My progress has been hampered by the wet and windy weather in the West Coast of Scotland so apologies for not having a completed job to report on.
The crazing on the Perspex does not appear to severely affect its strength but spoils the looks of an otherwise beautifully crafted vessel. I intend to have a deck cover/tarp made to protect the windows from UV damage when not being used. Some owners have covers that just cover the 3 windows on each side.

If any UK based 35s5 owners wish to renew their windows and use my moulds, please get in touch.
Also many thanks to other 35s5 owners who have posted information about this classic boat.

Attachments

Sep 24, 2021
Hi. Just joined the forum so apologies if my contribution is too late for Steffenied. I have a 1988 First 35s5 and about 15 years ago wanted to replace the crazed deck windows but the price from Beneteau was about £3000 :eek:. I did remove and reseal some of them which was a horrible job. ......
Great post... Good on you for going to the lengths to get some molds made, though I'm not surprised that they are NOT identical profiles...

Btw before you complete this job please look into Dowsil 795 as a sealant vs Sikaflex. I've done several similar jobs (on more simply shaped boats!) with DC 795 with terrific results.
Best of luck!

Linca

Nov 12, 2022
Beneteau First 35s5 Isle Of Skye
Many thanks Hollyberry. There are so many products advertised and claimed to be the best and it's good to get a recommendation from someone who has real life experience with these products especially when it's a pain of a job to do again if it doesn't work first time. Advice always appreciated.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
I 2nd Dow795 its used to install glazing in highrises and I have used it to seal my skylights a few years back.
GE SCS1200 I believe is the same and I read is what Beneteau uses