Trying to identify this boat

Jan 17, 2022
Grady White 28 Sailfish Miami Outboard Club
My dad has a good amount of fabrication knowledge and glass work experience, I’m well aware it’s going to be a project to get it Sea-worthy but I’m also looking to learn myself for the future when I purchase my own boat. Plus the girlfriend is really excited about learning to sail and fix it up and our son is going to see it this weekend as well. I’m willing to put in the legwork to fix it up and save on costs when I can, I see it as a fun family project. I have a friend who teaches sailing lessons for kids I’m going to see if he wants to come out and give some insight as well.

Jan 17, 2022
What @Light air said

you can find a sail ready boat for $3000. And “free” mooring? When was the last time the ground tackle on you mooring was inspected. You are liable if she breaks free and does damage.
From what I have heard from members at our club, there is no fee to moor outside the marina, I was surprised myself but it seems like a lot of sailboats just stay there year round, a lot of junkyard boats too, some sunk with the mast still out of the water.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Having never sailed and the girl friend wants to learn, are signs that a project boat, that has sat on a mooring since 2015, would be a poor first boat choice.

I’d look for something usable - sailable, as is. Learn the skills and fun of sailing.

You and your girl catch the sailing fever. Then get into a project boat. That fever will help your project get finished. There are many boats that started with owners dreams of sailing that never sail. The tedium of repair gets in the way of “why are we not playing on the water. It’s a beautiful sunny day. I don’t want to do another day of fiberglass!”

Jan 17, 2022
Having never sailed and the girl friend wants to learn, are signs that a project boat, that has sat on a mooring since 2015, would be a poor first boat choice.

I’d look for something usable - sailable, as is. Learn the skills and fun of sailing.

You and your girl catch the sailing fever. Then get into a project boat. That fever will help your project get finished. There are many boats that started with owners dreams of sailing that never sail. The tedium of repair gets in the way of “why are we not playing on the water. It’s a beautiful sunny day. I don’t want to do another day of fiberglass!”
Good point. She seems to be leaning toward the not worth it camp.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
My dad has a good amount of fabrication knowledge and glass work experience, I’m well aware it’s going to be a project to get it Sea-worthy but I’m also looking to learn myself for the future when I purchase my own boat. Plus the girlfriend is really excited about learning to sail and fix it up and our son is going to see it this weekend as well. I’m willing to put in the legwork to fix it up and save on costs when I can, I see it as a fun family project. I have a friend who teaches sailing lessons for kids I’m going to see if he wants to come out and give some insight as well.
From the shape and the signature port light shape, Ericson 27.
Fast and Solid boats from a top builder by a famous NA. That's the good news.....
Built in the 70's, and looks neglected. And that spells "project boat".

Post up more info and photos over at the big Ericson owners site. Owners there are not blind cheer leaders, and can explain the work involved in a restoration.
www.ericsonyachts.org

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Hunter 170 Lake Logan Martin AL
Coming in late on this, sorry. $3000 can buy a ton used boat fun. I sailed some in my early years and have been threatening to get a sailboat for the last 10 years. I looked while driving, for a project boat. Most of the boats that caught my eye were junk or went poof before I could contact the owner. I wanted a Catalina 16.5. The price has gone up and while affordable, just too much for a part time hobby. Oh, and all future production was bought through 2022 as of 8 months ago. I searched online and got lucky with a new listing. The boat is in good shape. I am currently overhauling the trailer.

I think zero sailing experience was a factor. I would start small with something on a trailer.