Need wiring advise on Supco Hard Start Kit for Cruisair Aircon

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Lately my 2KW (230V 50Hz) Genset trip when running aircon, which had never been an issue for several years. Thinking it time for new Genset, I got a new Honda EU22i (2.2KW, 230V 50Hz) which should be more than enough for my 12000BTU aircon. My friend uses EU20i (2KW) on his 16000BTU Cruisair aircon effortlessly.
So even with the new EU22i, it still trip when on aircon. So I guess I'll have to fit a Hard Start Kit SPP6E. Supco Tech support said to install the SPP6 (not the SPP6E as it is for higher voltage*) across the Run Cap. But there is already a stock PTCR Start Assist across my Run Cap (see wiring diagram) and he made no mention to leave it in place or remove. Can anyone in the know advise me?
*I suppose my 230V is higher voltage compare to 120V?

Ken Y

Attachments

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
You already have an assist capacitor, are you sure both capacitors are good? Yes, you would need to remove the assist capacitor and install the kit capacitor in its place. If the capacitors are old I would replace them both. Older compressors and seawater pumps develop electrical resistance and need a little stronger boost to get them to start. Make sure your generator is running at high RPM so that it produces maximum power; at the fuel (ECO) conserving mode it may not supply maximum power quick enough. Does the unit run well with shore power? There are also safety switches to protect the A/C unit in case of overheat, or insufficient voltage and sometimes those switches can go bad. Good luck.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Benny,
Thanks for quick reply.
Noted on removing the PTCR. I've ordered a new Capacitor on assumption the stock ones is getting weak. The AC runs normal on shore power. I started off running the Genset on ECO mode which clearly not helping. Subsequent run was with ECO off. The Genset trip after 10 secs or so. I'll do as you mention and revert with result when I have.

Ken Y