Automatic Rudder Line Release

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
I was looking for a cleat to replace the standard 4" one on my tiller that keeps the rudder in the down position on my H240 I found this one.
It is a CL257 Auto-Release Racing Mini. Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
You can find something in the US for probably cheaper that is the same thing. Clam Cleats are easy to find. At 16 Pound Sterling, that's near $22 plus shipping.

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
Hi Pat-
There is a write-up on that rudder cleat in the 260 modifications, here, works same on a 240:
Hunter 260 Owner Modifications and Upgrades (sailboatowners.com)

I put one on my 240 and it worked great. I left the original horn cleat to use with the uphaul line when trailering, although you don't really need it if you use the locking pin when raised. Here's a picture, white line is downhaul, black is uphaul.
Oh yea, mount it as far forward on the tiller head as possible to maximize the leverage the line has- so it will release as designed.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
Hi Pat-
There is a write-up on that rudder cleat in the 260 modifications, here, works same on a 240:
Hunter 260 Owner Modifications and Upgrades (sailboatowners.com)

I put one on my 240 and it worked great. I left the original horn cleat to use with the uphaul line when trailering, although you don't really need it if you use the locking pin when raised. Here's a picture, white line is downhaul, black is uphaul.
Oh yea, mount it as far forward on the tiller head as possible to maximize the leverage the line has- so it will release as designed.
thank you

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I have a pair of them on my Nacra beach cat. Launch and retrieve off the beach all the time, so you must have them or risk damaging your rudder. Justifiable? All you need to do is research the price of a new rudder. No Brainer!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Agree with Joe.
Clamcleat makes a nice cleat. I've used that quick release model and the Racing Mini with fairlead.